Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips for using a sprayer wand for fire ant mounds with a cab, other than holding the door open? Using the back window would be tiring on an aged back! My old setup was pulling a 25 gallon sprayer behind an open station, simple and fast.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Get your grandson to ride on the hood and hold the wand?? :yahoo:

OH, WAIT,, it is not 1963 anymore,,,!! :flag_of_truce:

:nunu:

:mocking:

I guess it is time to buy an ATV,,,, :gizmo:

·
Premium Member
7,459 Posts
Get one of those helmets and gun turret setups from an Apache helicopter where you just look at the target to aim it. :laugh:

Actually I'll be curious to see if people come up with clever ideas to make this happen for you.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Get someone to drive the tractor, then walk along or ride the sprayer. There’s a few advantages to open station tractors.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Are you getting decent control of the fire ant population by spot spraying mounds? Since you're doing the spraying from a tractor you must have a fair amount of land to cover. I'd think in Texas you'd be broadcasting bait. Or are you using limited spot spraying to supplement the bait?

I only do 5 acres, but I broadcast IGR type bait twice a year. I'd been hiring it out, but just bought a Herd seeder with fire and plates to do the broadcast treatment myself. For supplemental spraying I walk with a 5 gallon backpack sprayer. I've got a 3-point sprayer with a wand, but there's just too much drift to use it around the horses.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Get your grandson to ride on the hood and hold the wand?? :yahoo:

OH, WAIT,, it is not 1963 anymore,,,!! :flag_of_truce:
I had an employee from Arkansas who as a kid in the 60's worked for a crop duster. His job was to walk the field perimeter, wearing a yellow raincoat and cap, and to hold a flag for the pilot to use to line up his DDT spray passes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks, for all the hum..............useful comments:bigthumb:surprised no one mentioned tying my wife to the grill:greentractorride: with a wand in her hand! I'll figure out something, yes I have 3 acres and just trying to beat them back, for the last 3 decades, I'm not going back to an open station:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Your goal is to operate a spot sprayer for ant beds from inside your closed tractor cab? Have you considered an agricultural spot spraying drone? There are small versions available for less than a thousand dollars.

You could do the searching from the comfort of your cab, and then remotely call in an aerial pesticide strike. It looks like fun.
:yahoo:

drone.jpg

·
Administrator
17,576 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I really like the Aerial Drone approach, but it appears that you would be making a lot of trips back for refilling, which isn't all bad.

It seems like the air disturbance of the rotors would really disperse the material being sprayed and it might be hard to target specific areas and not have "drift" of whatever you are spraying. I would like to see that in operation..........

I just drive with the door open and pay very close attention to obstructions. I spray around about 55 pine trees and numerous landscaping areas which are covered with stone and the stuff I am spraying, you definitely want to be on target as it kills everything it hits in the grass and weed families. I am constantly changing targets and spray patterns so it's imperative to be hanging onto the wand for control.

You sure would get the practice flying the drone. :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
17,576 Posts
I'm stumped. How did you figure out which tractor cab he has?:unknown:
The picture in the OP’s post clearly (to me anyway) shows a 30xx CAB tractor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts