Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 1025R seems to be using more fuel than I thought it would. I have mowed twice (lot size is approx 1.5 acre) and it has went from full to less than half. Yes I have played a little and did run the tractor down the road .25 mile and back. Used the loader for two really small jobs. I have heard that it should be really good on fuel but not sure if this seems right or not. Also I think it was barely on full when it arrived from the dealer. Sure is great to use. Love this thing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think I burn about 1 gallon an hour, mowing at top rpm and not quite top speed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I burn about 1 gallon an hour, mowing at top rpm and not quite top speed.
Good point. I didn't think to look at the hour meter. :hide: Ill check that as well. I was told to mow with the throttle up to the little gear pictured on the tachometer. I leave it in low range as well & two wheel drive.
I just checked my hour meter and it is on 5.6 hours. I think it was just under an hour on it when it arrived. So at the most I have used it 4.6 hours. Sound normal? Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I bought my tractor last week the fuel gauge said full and after 6 hours of use the gauge said empty so I grabbed a five gallon jug and filled it up. I know it would not have taken one more gallon it was that full. Gauge on mine is off and to make a long story short. Try topping it off and go off the hour meter and run it 5 hours and top it off again and see how much fuel it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, that sounds pretty close to what I get with my 1025 as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was told to mow with the throttle up to the little gear pictured on the tachometer.
Yep. Optimum PTO speed. You will also get a digital readout of your PTO RPM...that should be right at 540 RPM.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
My tractor is the 2520...which is not a fair comparison , I know. But it is a larger engine... Somewhat. Once I passed around 100-125 hours , I believe the fuel efficiency got better. Keep mind, I do not mow with it and I hardly ever get above 15-1800 rpm. My rate of use is about 5 gal in 7-8 hrs. But a few weeks ago, at the deer lease , I was jockeying around box blinds. This involved a lot of farm to market roads, so I had the engine wound tight going down the road. Fuel use plummeted to about a gal/ hr

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
For the MMM the PTO icon isn't really needed. It applies to the rear 540 rpm PTO. The MMM runs on a 2000 rpm mid PTO.

well yes and no. The mid pto is rated at 2100 RPMs. Many run their MMM wide open but with the tach needle on the PTO icon the mid PTO is at the rated 2100 RPMs.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
My 1026 also seems to use 1 gallon per hour for heavy PTO work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I trust my fuel gauge only as a general indicator. It seems to drop quickly on the first half of the tank, much more slowly on the second. For example, the amount of fuel needed to fill from 3/4 to full is not one third the amount needed to go from 1/4 to full.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've done pretty well I thought with my new 1023.. I have 3hrs on the dot on it now and according to the gage anyway it has used slightly less than a 1/2 tank.. 1.5hrs of the 3 were hard core mowing, the rest was playing with the loader..

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I trust my fuel gauge only as a general indicator. It seems to drop quickly on the first half of the tank, much more slowly on the second. For example, the amount of fuel needed to fill from 3/4 to full is not one third the amount needed to go from 1/4 to full.

We need to combine our gauges. Mine hardly moves at all from full until it gets under 1/2 tank, then it drops off quickly. It's a 2520, but I do average a little under a gallon per hour as well.

·
Administrator
20,695 Posts
It's the shape of the tank that causes the gauge to read like that. On the one series, the top of the tank is fairly small compared to the bottom while the 2520/2720 is very large at the top with a much smaller bottom. The gauge reads linear but the fuel level drops at different rates due to how wide the tank is at varying levels.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I average 2 litres per hour of running, i.e. 10 hours on a full 20 litre tank; more when I run equipment on the PTO at full speed and less when I do loader or box blade work.

I know, Diesel says only us Canadians know what a litre is, so .... 1 US gallon = 3.73 litres

·
Registered
55 Posts
Low range??

Good point. I didn't think to look at the hour meter. :hide: Ill check that as well. I was told to mow with the throttle up to the little gear pictured on the tachometer. I leave it in low range as well & two wheel drive.
I just checked my hour meter and it is on 5.6 hours. I think it was just under an hour on it when it arrived. So at the most I have used it 4.6 hours. Sound normal? Thanks
You didn't really say you mow on the low side?? If so, why???

Just a question, never thought to do it or want to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts