Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pecan and Mesquite trees are abundant here in this part of Texas. Never had to buy any wood to cook with. It's been a while since I've cooked anything on the grill, but when I do, it's almost always done with wood. That smokey flavor is absolutely delightful.:fed:
Do any of you guys use either of the two types of wood mentioned?

Some of the most flavorful burger patties and other things cooked on a grill and have eaten (without much seasoning)have been done with Pecan wood(also Mesquite). The only drawback is that whoever mans the grill gets smoked too.

Need to fire up the grill pretty soon and get to cooking.

Mods please don't let the vegetarians read this.:lol:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm haven't tried apple.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I usually use hickory or mesquite. But any nut tree and most fruit trees will do good. Of course each will impart a different flavor. I found a website a few years ago that described the flavors imparted Ill see if I can find it. I'm on my phone right now

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
I like cherry...............wood.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Using Cherry wood is a new idea to me. I've got some dead Peach trees I could try to cook with.
Last year after pruning some of the Peach trees, I ran the tree limbs through a chipper. In no time at all there were lots of honey bees buzzing around.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Using Cherry wood is a new idea to me. I've got some dead Peach trees I could try to cook with.
Last year after pruning some of the Peach trees, I ran the tree limbs through a chipper. In no time at all there were lots of honey bees buzzing around.
We like our prime rib smoked with cherry.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
We like our prime rib smoked with cherry.
I use Mesquite with almost everything I cook on the grill or smoker; trick is to make sure it's cured and don't use too much. Pecan I also use with the Mesquite, along with some Blackjack. I will add some hickory or fruit wood, with the exception that I never use Peach.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I suppose it's a mental block; but back in my college chemistry days I recall reading that the old Alchemists first isolated and concentrated the poison Cyanide by boiling peach leaves.
And I thought the cyanide was mainly in the pits, be it peach, nectarine, apple or pear. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
2Lane,

I did not know that! Of course, I had to do a search (I'm sure the NSA has just tagged me as a cyanide producer :laugh:) and yes, it is true the leaves of peach trees can produce cyanide. I have been saving pear and apple wood for future smoking plans, but I will be sure not to save any peach wood. Better safe than sorry.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Yes, andy b.! You are on their list now!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
And I thought the cyanide was mainly in the pits, be it peach, nectarine, apple or pear. :flag_of_truce:
The pits also have Cyanide in them; and if I recall correctly so does the bark. Peach leaves are particularly poisonous to horses, according to this article.

Peach Tree: A Poisonous Plant for Horses

A little Cyanide goes a long way; something on the order of 60 to 100 milligrams for an adult is fatal. I don't know about seasoned Peach wood without the bark, but I just never had the inclination to use it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
2Lane,

I did not know that! Of course, I had to do a search (I'm sure the NSA has just tagged me as a cyanide producer :laugh:) and yes, it is true the leaves of peach trees can produce cyanide. I have been saving pear and apple wood for future smoking plans, but I will be sure not to save any peach wood. Better safe than sorry.
I wasn't aware either. Don't worry, I may be on their list too for mixing John Deere and International Harvester and for really being bad the time I had the audacity to post a thread on rising gun prices.:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I wasn't aware either. Don't worry, I may be on their list too for mixing John Deere and International Harvester and for really being bad the time I had the audacity to post a thread on rising gun prices.:lol:
That's certainly egregious behavior, but there are some folks who, on another site, had the audacity to voice an opinion on the competence of the President and his retinue. :usa

1 - 16 of 16 Posts