Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been using one of these chained to the front rail of my trailer for loading dead garden tractors on my 6x12 utility trailer.

It has already done everything I asked, but I’ve used everything it can give too. Closing in on cable replacement I decided to upgrade.

Step one was a harbor freight bracket to put a 2” receiver in a useful location.

Now I wait for an amazon delivery for setup 2.

I’ll probably still add a forward support near the red line.

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
Yes, you will need more support for sure:good2:

What was your gas setting? I use about 25 CFH and that works really well. I think the wind was blowing your shielding gas away. It should sound like sizzling bacon, if it was going pop-pop-pop-pop then the gas is not working, this is the downside of gas shielding and outdoor welding. Your joint prep looks great though!

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, you will need more support for sure:good2:

What was your gas setting? I use about 25 CFH and that works really well. I think the wind was blowing your shielding gas away. It should sound like sizzling bacon, if it was going pop-pop-pop-pop then the gas is not working, this is the downside of gas shielding and outdoor welding. Your joint prep looks great though!
I was running 15 cfh, but yes it was windy. I put the fender pan up as a windbreak, along with using the sheet of aluminum. One big surprise was turning my helmet down from 12 to 9 to see more then just the puddle.

And my 28 year old grinder died. It works until it get hot, then has trouble starting.

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
Try running at 25 CFH, especially when outside. This is what I use in the garage all the time, maybe a bit much but it works well. I also use #9 on my Miller helmet for MIG welding.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
:munch:

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
Your helmet shade level should change with the amperage. The higher the amps, the more shade you need. If you are welding pretty consistently at the same, or near the same, then leaving your shade at the same setting is ok. If you lift your hood and you see spots, you don’t have it dark enough. Most people make the mistake of welding in an area where it’s too dark thinking the weld itself will light your way. Well this works to an extent, but not nearly as well as working in a well lit environment.

You only have one set of eyes, take care of them. :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I agree with kennyd. Mounting the winch in front and above the top rail will increase the leverage forces applied to the top trailer rail dramatically. I like the idea and I thing it will work nicely when you put some more support on the mount. :good2:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I was running 15 cfh, but yes it was windy. I put the fender pan up as a windbreak, along with using the sheet of aluminum. One big surprise was turning my helmet down from 12 to 9 to see more then just the puddle.

And my 28 year old grinder died. It works until it get hot, then has trouble starting.
Hey that sounds like me. I work until I get hot and then I have trouble getting going again after a break!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That made me look - same brand as my generator. So I took a look - didn’t realize they had all this power equipment.

View attachment 621706
They are popular in the budget market. This had good and numerous reviews and just under $100 as selling points to me. It also has wire, a switch and fairleed and hook in the kit. If it dies in the future, a new winch is the only expense and I’ll look at a better brand.

I have a compact hitch mount to be delivered by June 5.

With supports in mind I’m thinking of building a custom tool box at the same time. It’s that or a place to mount two boxes. One for the winch, and one for the battery, wires and straps. The design is still in the air and probably won’t be settled until it starts.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Went to Home Depot today to get a grinder and a piece of angle iron. Changed my mind at the store and choose an 11 amp dewalt instead of Milwaukee. I wanted a paddle switch so makita was the only other option. $20 and 3.2 lbs sold me. Then they weren’t on the shelf by the display and I couldn’t even find a tag for them. I asked an employee for help, and we spent twice as long double checking where I already looked. He was trying and I doubt many people look first before asking. They had 3, somewhere. Went to lows and got the same model but it only included one wheel and no bag where the depot version had a bag and 5 disks.

Then it started to sprinkle on the way home.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made this one up last year with some scrap I had laying around. Simple on an off.
That’s a little better then the chain method I had been using. If this fails I will probably go that route.

I just did about an hour or grinding work, some on the trailer. I’m glad I didn’t get the heavier one. This is plenty. It works great, and I could only get minimal bog heavily loading it up.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still a bit of grinding to do, but everything is connected and roughly shaped. I should cap the 1x2, but probably won’t. I did leave a drain hole at the bottom.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I would be inclined to add a support, as indicated below.

View attachment 624826
I am considering one with the opposite inclination. Or just a gusset filling the corner in the direction you show. It depends if it will fit in the storage I construct for battery and winch. Rotational force is my only concern for stress. The front of the trailer is plenty strong as is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts