Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 850D Gator in 2007 and quickly realized it was one of the handiest "tools" I've ever owned. I had to swallow hard writing the check for what seemed to be a giant toy but it's made property upkeep so much easier.

We've decided to keep the Gator at the old family farm (56 acres) in Pennsylvania and buy a UTV for our new home in Ohio. It will be used for chores and occasional fun rides for the grandkids. At first, I wanted to save money with a used one but I'm discovering the pickings are slim. Nice used UTVs aren't much less than new prices and less expensive units are beat to death. So, we've decided to look at new models and having power steering is a very appealing feature.

I've narrowed the list down to the following:
1) Gator 850i - LD has a leftover 2014 Midnight Black Special Edition with PS that he's offered with a good discount. I'm not enthusiastic about flat black everywhere but it's equipped with lots of very nice features.
2) Kawasaki 4010 Mule - about $4k less than the Gator but it's a pure "work" vehicle without many features aside from PS. I'd have to spend a little more for a spray in bed liner which is standard with the Gator.

I haven't excluded the Kubota RTV or Polaris Ranger just yet but I think the Kubota is a more expensive heavy duty work machine and the Polaris is a more expensive off-road fun machine (perhaps comparable to the Gator 850i).

My other concern with the Kawasaki and Polaris are the dealer mega-stores selling ATVs, motorcycles, jet skis, etc. I'd have more confidence in service and support from Deere or Kubota. Given the amount of money I've spent on Deere, I'd like to think my Pennsylvania and Ohio dealers will do more to make sure I'm happy.

I'd love to hear your opinions and thoughts....very tough choices when trying to balance costs with advantages / disadvantages!

·
Registered
291 Posts
We are going through a similar debate except we want a crew model to replace our Gator TH 6x4. I think we have decided on the Ranger Crew as it is cheaper than the Deere, has more power and a larger box with electric lift. Our's won't get beat on so the Ranger is perfect for us.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,725 Posts
Boy I wish I had your problem rod330. :lol:
I would love to have a new Gator 850i. Our CX 4x2 Gator has been a joy to have.
Good luck:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
I have a 1996 Kawasaki Mule, 2510 4x4 gas. I bought it before JD saw fit to make a true 4x4 (the 6x4 does NOT count). Only color was red back then too. (I wanted green)

Other than hour meter quitting and one park brake cable sizing up it has been trouble free. So I would not worry about service.

It's not fast, It's not soft riding. It's kind of ugly blocky looking (my 1996). I have not seen a need for power steering. Front wheel wells take a lot of room (pedals are too far the right ) You have to lift the seat to see the fuel gauge ( I run it out of fuel all the time). Those are the only complaints.

·
Super Moderator
4,845 Posts
I realize that it isn't your preferred solution but, give a look at what any local Bass Pro Shop might have available. They seem to always have a couple on hand that are 2 or 3 model years back that have been sitting on their showroom floors with 0 miles/hours on them. My local BassPro has a 2012 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Diesel ATV (not a UTV but...) for a couple grand off of the original price as well as several 2014 gas models. Ya never know. If the price is right...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Polaris discount

I don't know if it applies in your case but Farm Bureau members in most states can get a discount on selected Polaris vehicles. It's a manufacturer's discount so the dealers are happy to work with it. You print a certificate using your membership, make a deal with the dealer and then before signing anything give him the certificate so you know it's coming off your best deal.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
i would go with the gator. it has been i tried and true machine for you, so stay with it, imo. stay away from 'laris. bad trannys, touchy acceleration and bad 4wd. also, stay away from yamaha. the old rhino 450/660 are very good, never had any of the issues ive had with the new rhino 700.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I also looked at Polaris as I have Polaris quads, but it was hard not to buy Deere. I have had an 825i for 2 years at the end of this month. Never regretted it. Know what you mean, big check to write. It has done all I've asked and more,and is very handy. Amazes me what it can go threw. Bought mine with roof,windshield, electric dump, winch, front and side protection. Rides smooth and plenty fast enough for work or play. I have added cab doors and back window, snowplow and LED lights.
Just my 2'cents:hi:

·
Premium Member
13,960 Posts
Two months ago when we were talking of getting rid of the x550 4 seater . Looked real hard at Honda and Polaris 4 seaters. For our use the Honda was going to win hands down. If Deere hadn't fixed what should have been fixed 3 yrs ago a Honda would be seating in the building.
According to the Honda ,Polaris dealer he had fewer repairs and complaints with the Honda compared to the Polaris.
I liked the fact the Honda has a 3 speed transmission compared to a cvt transmission.

Price wise the Honda had Gator, and Polaris beat, has a much shorter wheelbase making it easier to get through the woods or for parking in your building.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks to everyone for lots of excellent feedback...much more to consider.

Today I visited one of those PowerSports Mega-Stores to look at a Kawasaki 4010 Mule. It was a complete waste of time. Of course, they didn't have a single 4010 in stock despite what their salesman had told me earlier in the week and what's posted on their web site. I did see a 4010 at local Kawasaki dealer but wanted to do a little price comparison. I was also irritated with the Mega-Store pricing policy. They print out an invoice at MSRP with all of the dealer prep and doc fees, taxes, etc. Then you're supposed to make your "best offer" to the salesman who then takes it to their manager. I told the salesman to just give me his best price so we're not wasting time. He stated that management only allows him to quote MSRP and giving their "best price" just allows customers to "shop around". The last time I checked, there's nothing illegal or immoral about "shopping around". I thought that old-school car dealership baloney had disappeared years ago. I just walked out but they obviously sell a lot of stuff to a lot of people.

I'll take one last look at the 4010 and a Honda at the local dealer tomorrow but I'm leaning toward the Gator. Plus, the boss really likes the all black version of the Gator....looks too "sinister" to me :lol:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the XUV825i Midnight Black Special Edition

Attachments

·
Registered
3,944 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got the JD factory plow for my XUV825. It works very well, and I like the fact that it's a factory set up.

If I was doing commercial work, maybe I would have been able to justify a Boss plow, but if I were doing commercial work, I would probably be using my truck, not my Gator.

GGB

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
How does it work plowing snow? Any snow blade recommendations?
Thanks!
Works very well. I got the factory one from JD, easy on and off. No ground clearance loss. Again supprised how much snow the Gator will push.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Works very well. I got the factory one from JD, easy on and off. No ground clearance loss. Again supprised how much snow the Gator will push.
I'll second this-When I first used my Gator with the factory plow, I was fully expecting to be in the low side, in four wheel drive, maybe even with the differential locked. Nah......two wheel drive, but I usually still use the low side just because I'm usually going fairly slow.

It'll go faster, I just like to go slower. Not too slow, not too fast-usually half-fast.......

GGB

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If I would ever be able to afford one of these (and I really do need one) this one would be my choice - just beautiful in my eyes!
me too. yamaha used to my go-to brand but they made a huge mistake with the quality and dependability of the new rhino 700's, im never going back. next time im going with deere.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
I look at a Polaris and a Can am side by side once. I liked the fact that it stopped going down hill by taking your foot off the throttle, much like my tractor. Can am didn't have much of a bed in back. Can't afford one but it was nice to look at. A wagon for my tractor is cheaper or just keep using the FEL because the wagon I want I can't afford either. :dunno: Good luck in your decision but that black looks good. Isn't that a green 825i sitting beside it?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts