Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if any of you have a UV water filter and what some of the pros and cons are of it.

I have very good "city" water delivered by truck into 2 large cisterns, but I am thinking of adding a UV filter to be safe. I am thinking of hauling my own water too, instead of having it delivered, so just want to hopefully prevent any problems if I don't keep my tank and/or hose perfectly clean, or if I don't use it for a couple of months and "stuff" grows in the tank or something.

·
Registered
825 Posts
There are not really any cons other than the bulb needs to be changed at certain intervals. My friend works in waste water treatment and has stated in the past that UV lights are used as part of the disinfectant process for converting river water to potable water.

I would get the opinion of someone with a water treatment license on this but I bet there is enough chlorine added in the initial water treatment process to keep algae and bacteria from growing in the cistern.

My thoughts would be to install a whole home water filter and call it done. Periodic water testing to keep your mind at ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
In my experience UV lights are used to treat water for hiking/backpacking (Steri Pen) But I have yet to see any device for that purpose or for the home that will FILTER water with UV light.

UV light is just that, light-it is used to kill microorganisms and things like certain bacteria, it leaves them in the water however because these lights have no mechanism to do any physical filtering or screening.

Proper water treatment should both kill any unwanted things in the water(chemically, UV, heat, etc.) and filter it to remove those and any other impurities thus purifying it completely.

Any part of the process is good, but it’s not complete with just one type or device.

I’d suggest some type of filter to go along with your UV light-at minimum a fiberglass or better a carbon type that’ll filter down as small as you can get, run your water thru both and you should be all set.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
In my experience UV lights are used to treat water for hiking/backpacking (Steri Pen) But I have yet to see any device for that purpose or for the home that will FILTER water with UV light.
I suspect that what the OP is referring to is a home water filtration system that also includes a UV light for purification. A quick Google search turned up lots of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I suspect that what the OP is referring to is a home water filtration system that also includes a UV light for purification. A quick Google search turned up lots of them.

That was exactly my point though, there are filters with UV lights built in and UV lights with attached filters but a light cannot filter anything-it’s a light and UV is a light not a filter

The OP may have ‘meant’ a filter with a UV light like you posted, but he said “UV Filter”-I have never seen a UV ‘light’ that has any filtering capability-you have to add a filter to the light to have both.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, with my "newbieness" to this subject (and hence why I am asking these questions) I did call it the wrong name. It is not a "filter" but a "disinfection system" like this https://viqua.com/product/d4-2/?_sft_product-tags=for-home one.

I would add a 5 micron filter before the UV disinfection system.

I like the one in the link because it has a UV light sensor to determine that enough UV light is getting into the water. I do not have a water softener, so my understanding is that scale could build up on the quartz sleeve and not enough UV light would be emitted as the scale builds up, so I will have to remove the sleeve and clean it. The hardness is about 12-15 gpg and ideally a UV system needs under 7. I don't know if I would have to clean the sleeve like every week or every 3 months kind of thing :dunno:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’ll chime in. I installed a rainfresh UV light to my home. Before that I have a 5 micron sediment filter. Just make sure your outside water is before that.

It cost around 400$ CDN to install. That was with lowes contractor discount of 15% at the time. The bulb id say is on a 365 day timer and let’s you know when to change it. The bulbs are about 100$ here.

Every 3 months or so I turn the system off and wipe the crystal tube the bulb sits in as it gets dirty. After having my water tested it no longer showed coliform (animal poop).

I do have a lot of iron and will be adding their backwash air injection system this winter

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll chime in. I installed a rainfresh UV light to my home. Before that I have a 5 micron sediment filter. Just make sure your outside water is before that.

It cost around 400$ CDN to install. That was with lowes contractor discount of 15% at the time. The bulb id say is on a 365 day timer and let’s you know when to change it. The bulbs are about 100$ here.

Every 3 months or so I turn the system off and wipe the crystal tube the bulb sits in as it gets dirty. After having my water tested it no longer showed coliform (animal poop).

I do have a lot of iron and will be adding their backwash air injection system this winter
Thanks dombougie! Any idea how hard your water is? Also how dirty is the tube after 3 months and do you think you are still getting enough UV penetration at the 3 month mark?

·
Registered
306 Posts
My water isn’t to hard. Can’t find my last test. It doesn’t get very dirty still plenty of UV light. The manufacturer suggests cleaning the crystal tube the light sits in when the bulb is replaced. I’d recommend doing it sooner.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My water isn’t to hard. Can’t find my last test. It doesn’t get very dirty still plenty of UV light. The manufacturer suggests cleaning the crystal tube the light sits in when the bulb is replaced. I’d recommend doing it sooner.
Understood, thanks!

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I have one at my house. When I bought the place in May, the well test was coming back with bacteria that shocking wouldn't clear up. So the seller had to put in the UV light to make it pass. If you put in a UV light, it will also require a particulate filter as you see in the photos. It can't have sediment flowing through it. They definitely do work.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I close on a new to me abode the end of the month. Was going to build but this place was in a great location and a great deal.

The house comes with a UV light treatment. And has a sediment filter. We will add reverse osmosis for a facet for drinking water in the kitchen and the ice maker.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning

D291B795-46E0-4BA9-A23B-B00A5F11BB47.jpeg

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I have a reverse osmosis filter at the kitchen sink for drinking water too. I use it, and the water tastes great. However, the water straight from the tap doesn't taste bad either and I routinely drink it in large volumes too.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Water test came back today. Hardness 13 and Iron is a little a high. So softener with iron out salt and I am good.

Everything else checked out great and not even a trace of Nitrates. Radon is a 7.6 so will have to get an extraction vent system put in.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Water test came back today. Hardness 13 and Iron is a little a high. So softener with iron out salt and I am good.

Everything else checked out great and not even a trace of Nitrates. Radon is a 7.6 so will have to get an extraction vent system put in.
Radon mitigation systems = snake oil

Don’t waste your money. Research Radon exposure and Hormesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts