Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody got a set of forks, the ole reliable Dyson just gave up. :empathy3:

After 6-7 years the Dyson vacuum from Target has given up. It still works, but the clutch for the brush has gone out again and the suction is very weak even with new filters. Looks like it's time for a new vacuum.

So, anyone have any suggestions? My first thought was to get a Dyson "Animal". The Dyson has been a good vacuum, and we have a bunch of dogs in the house so something designed for pet hair would be good. However, the "Animal" is a bit more expensive than I guessed it would be and I want to make sure there isn't something better out there in that price range. Any opinions?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The wife has been very happy with her animal. About once a year I have to do a deep cleaning on it which is easy as everything comes apart without fuss. She's had it for about 7 years and it is still going strong.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,730 Posts
My wife really likes the Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away, hates the cord setup though.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
We've only had two vacuums over 35 years and both of them were regular Kenmore canister units from Sears; they really suck. :lol:

Hope to find a high quality built in some day but don't know what make would be best either.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
My mom finally stopped buying cheap vacuums with 3 dogs in the house, and got the Dyson DC 25 Bagless Animal Upright... She loves it and could not believe what her another vacuums were missing, she said she hoped it would be the last vacuum she would buy. Worth the money to me.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'll see your dogs and raise you 4 cats... I've been through a couple Sears canisters, 2 $400 Panasonics and one cheap-o Hoovah. NOTHING compares to a small 1.25" hose shopvac (Shopvac Brand!) "Quiet Series" like these...

Rating Test Quiet 5960800 - The maximum power you need for the toughest messes - wet or dry. | Shop-Vac Brand. The Original Wet/Dry Vac

Cat hair's no probleem-o and if you need to pick up a bunch of broken glass, dirt, litter box dust , woodstove mess, dryer lint, you have an industrial cleaning tool that will do it all wet or dry. AND it is QUIET! I got my last one from a home center about 12 years ago after vowing I'd never buy another "regular" vacuum again. You can upgrade to the "Quiet Plus" series for a better looking machine. I'm still using the chrome tube and floor brush from the last dead Panasonic.

We have short nap area rugs and one small room with Berber woven wall to wall and the bristle brush works fine getting the grit and hair. Longer nap rugs you'll probably want a "power head" which I don't know about. I have looked at vacuum powered ones, but they don't seem to get good reviews. There are several options for filters, I'm still using the regular pleated wet/dry type that came with it.

One thing I found is that "HEPA" filters in cat house vacuum cleaners are worthless. Premature pluggage and more expen$e is the bottom line. I just tap out the filter with a rubber mallet and then blow from inside out with compressed air. Then I go through the tub contents for salvagable cat toys and any money from the couch cushions (for the "attachment fund"). Your results may vary, but if you go with the shopvac type make sure you get a longer hose. They usually come with 6' short ones for actual shop work. The only system I can see that will top this is maybe a "whole house" installation, but with my 50' flat extension cord I only have to move the extension plug once for the entire house.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,730 Posts
My mom finally stopped buying cheap vacuums with 3 dogs in the house, and got the Dyson DC 25 Bagless Animal Upright... She loves it and could not believe what her another vacuums were missing, she said she hoped it would be the last vacuum she would buy. Worth the money to me.
Too funny, we stopped buying expensive vacuum cleaners.:dunno:

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
I have to agree with Gizmo. Shark Rotator. Last vacuum was an Oreck, which lasted quite a while, but for thr price the Shark seemed to be the one. My wife did the research and ordered it. I, however, did not get a set of forks or anything else. The Shark may be in exchange for the Silverado I bought in April.:laugh:

·
Registered
616 Posts
We got tired of the cheapo vacs as well, got my wife a Miele about 3 years ago, it will outlive me for sure!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know it was funny, but I was only half joking Gizmo. She was going to buy a Dyson on the recommendation of a friend, but when I heard it was $500+ I flipped and told her to go get another $100 Hoover. So I went into my incessant research mode like I do before buying any product, and we now have the Miele S7580 upright with a retail price of $850. I paid $200 for it from a guy who switched to a Miele canister vac. To be honest I would never pay $850 for one, but when you use it and handle it you can kinda see why it costs so much. You don't get the same feel from a Dyson, because you can't feel advertising hype. :laugh: Dig deep, the truth is out there. I'm not going to say Miele is the best there is or it's worth every penny, but it actually has a good functional design and good build quality, not just a bunch of features that were invented to sell more vacuums.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I really like our Kirby. Our daughter gave it to us a few years ago. My mother had one back in the 60's,that I got to use alot. Even though ours looks similiar, it handles alot differently. It has auto power drive and senses when you push/pull on the handle, making it effortless. Really simple design and I've never had any problems with it....tough as nails

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,730 Posts
I know it was funny, but I was only half joking Gizmo. She was going to buy a Dyson on the recommendation of a friend, but when I heard it was $500+ I flipped and told her to go get another $100 Hoover. So I went into my incessant research mode like I do before buying any product, and we now have the Miele S7580 upright with a retail price of $850. I paid $200 for it from a guy who switched to a Miele canister vac. To be honest I would never pay $850 for one, but when you use it and handle it you can kinda see why it costs so much. You don't get the same feel from a Dyson, because you can't feel advertising hype. :laugh: Dig deep, the truth is out there. I'm not going to say Miele is the best there is or it's worth every penny, but it actually has a good functional design and good build quality, not just a bunch of features that were invented to sell more vacuums.
Same here with the research thing, and come on here (GTT forum) and get the straight skinny. :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same here with the research thing, and come on here (GTT forum) and get the straight skinny. :lol:
I figure with the number of Artillian products owned by GTT members, collectively we have to be the worlds leading authority on vacuum cleaners. :good2: :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,730 Posts
I figure with the number of Artillian products owned by GTT members, collectively we have to be the worlds leading authority on vacuum cleaners. :good2: :laugh:
I hear ya!:lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
+1 for Miele if you can afford it. A Miele makes a Dyson look like a child's plastic toy.
My wife has looked at the Miele as well. Yes expensive but I thought the bags were way dinky. I figure 2 -3 bags per room with the animal hair we have and the bags are darn expensive as well. How has your bag usage gone as far as filling up too quickly?

·
Registered
346 Posts
My wife has looked at the Miele as well. Yes expensive but I thought the bags were way dinky. I figure 2 -3 bags per room with the animal hair we have and the bags are darn expensive as well. How has your bag usage gone as far as filling up too quickly?
We haven't had it long enough to know yet, it's only been a couple months, but I find it very hard to believe that you would use 3-4 bags per room. We are still on the first bag. She vacuums once a week but it's a small house with one dog. The bags are nice for the money, they are made of a nice thick filter material and they automatically seal shut when you remove them. They kinda remind me of a disposable diaper, not the paper sandwich bags that old vacuums used. The genuine Miele bags for the S7 upright are $4.75 each in a 4 pack including shipping, I don't think that's too bad, but there are cheaper aftermarket bags available. It's also super quick and easy to replace the bag.

I fell for the bagless trend 12 years ago when I bought the Hoover wind tunnel. What a disaster. There is no way to empty that thing inside the house without needing to vacuum up the mess afterwards. I could go on about bagged vs bagless, but it would turn into me bashing Dyson and their creative advertising, and that isn't fair since I've never owned one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We haven't had it long enough to know yet, it's only been a couple months, but I find it very hard to believe that you would use 3-4 bags per room. We are still on the first bag. She vacuums once a week but it's a small house with one dog. The bags are nice for the money, they are made of a nice thick filter material and they automatically seal shut when you remove them. They kinda remind me of a disposable diaper, not the paper sandwich bags that old vacuums used. The genuine Miele bags for the S7 upright are $4.75 each in a 4 pack including shipping, I don't think that's too bad, but there are cheaper aftermarket bags available. It's also super quick and easy to replace the bag.
That price is about what I remember. $4+ per bag and my memory (faulty as it may be) was that the bags were about 4.5 to 5 inch square and a couple of inches thick. I know that after we saw them, I joked about whether I could use the shop vac to suck the Miele bags empty as they would fill so fast and then reuse them to keep the cost down.

How much volume would you say they have when full?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts