1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
I read about this recall this morning on Fox News. It's going to cost someone a huge amount of money.
Good post.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
I read about this recall this morning on Fox News. It's going to cost someone a huge amount of money.
Good post.:thumbup1gif:
Probably us.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Readers can also see if their vehicle is affected by plugging in its VIN at the Safecar.gov website

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
The magnitude of this is incredible and the :gizmo: are small compared to lives lost.:empathy:

The car manufactures and suppliers are most likely ISO registered companies with Quality Management Systems in place. Top management must be involved and accountable. No excuse, no excuse . . . . Somebody(s) made very bad decisions :cookoo: and did not consider the risk and their customer. :banghead:
Sorry, it just pains me to think of the thousands of families that might have suffered the lost loved one!! :soapbox:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've been following this for a little while.

1) The list of affected vehicles (as of May 20th, 2015) DOES NOT include vehicles involved in the latest (May 18th, 2015) expansion to 34M defective inflators. Give it a week or two to see if it expands to cover your vehicle. Sadly all of ours are already part of the affected group.

2) This is going to take years to fix. The market simply cannot respond to instantly needing an additional 34M inflators on top of normal demand. Someone will have to build capacity to meet demand but in theory no one other than Takata should have to pay for this. Takata will last seconds before going bankrupt.

3) There's some evidence that engineers at Takata were warning management of the need to do better testing for humidity ingress as long ago as 2000. If that's confirmed, Takata has been knowingly producing faulty inflators for 15 years.

4) The recalls are largely being handled by climate with hot-wet areas being serviced before cold-dry areas since the defect is water vapor (as humidity) entering the explosive charge and ruining it.

·
Premium Member
7,684 Posts

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish that I could turn off the airbag on the driver's side of a vehicle, like you can on the passenger side. I do not drive anything affected by this recall, that I know of, but just hate having a front airbag.

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Just had the wife's Acura MDX done this week...still getting the "not part of the recall" song from my Lexus dealer on my RX, but will keep checking.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Thanks FG,, so far our 06 Odyssey is not on the list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts