Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. CP has a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe V6, 7 passenger that we bought new. Since day one, we have had issues with the windshield wipers. They do not last but 3 months, and even before that the wipers tend to streak heavily. I use Spray Way window cleaner and rubbing alcohol to keep the window surface and the wiper blades clean, but still get streaking. I want to put RainX on the windshield to see if that would help, but she HATES RainX. The streaking goes away when switching to a new blade, but is back within a month. I always buy the blades at a locally owned auto parts store. Their prices are very reasonable and they carry Anco brand. I usually get the plain Anco blade in the yellow box and then the plain winter Anco blades. I have never had this be an issue on any other vehicle. In fact, when I traded the Outback for the Silverado last year, the Outback still had the original blades on them after 3 years. Is there a particular brand or style of wiper that anybody recommends?

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I've had great luck with Bosch Icon blades - have had the same sets on both vehicles for years. Not a chatter or a streak ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-22A-ICON-Wiper-Blade/dp/B005JU5VH8

Sun is the worst thing for wiper blades - it degrades them quickly.

Another issue with streaking - where is the car parked both at home and at work? I think I remember you being like me and have to have the vehicles in the garage at home. How about at work? Is it parked under or near a tree? How about a nearby factory?

With that said - a proper cleaning may be in order. I use only Invisible Glass which really works well.

My suggestion would be to get a pair of Icon blades and give the windshield a good cleaning with Invisible Glass when you install them - see what happens.

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had great luck with Bosch Icon blades - have had the same sets on both vehicles for years. Not a chatter or a streak ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-22A-ICON-Wiper-Blade/dp/B005JU5VH8

Sun is the worst thing for wiper blades - it degrades them quickly.

Another issue with streaking - where is the car parked both at home and at work? I think I remember you being like me and have to have the vehicles in the garage at home. How about at work? Is it parked under or near a tree? How about a nearby factory?

With that said - a proper cleaning may be in order. I use only Invisible Glass which really works well.

My suggestion would be to get a pair of Icon blades and give the windshield a good cleaning with Invisible Glass when you install them - see what happens.
Thanks Stan. Yes, you remembered right, always in the garage. At work it sits in a wide open parking lot with no trees or factories. At this point, I am going to try a different blade. I will take a look at those. Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I use two sets of wiper blades, one for winter and one for the rest of the year. I have had good luck with the Bosch ICON and the TRICO NeoForm wiper blades on my truck and my wifes Equinox. In the winter time I switch over to the cheapest framed wiper blades available because of how beat up they get from the ice, freezing and thawing with defroster, road sand/salt.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I second the Bosch Icon. :bigthumb:

This is what I use on our vehicles. I buy them from the local NAPA. I installed them on Mrs. FW '13 Rav4 last year. She told me they made a big difference. When her new Highlander wipers need replacing, I'll install these.

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
I'll add to the Bosch fan club. That's been the only brand that have held up on my Tundra.

I'm not sure what the issue is for me but I was never all that concerned about it with previous vehicles. Any brand seemed to work equally well. But for some reason the others either fall apart or do a poor job on the Tundra.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I'll add to the Bosch fan club. That's been the only brand that have held up on my Tundra.

I'm not sure what the issue is for me but I was never all that concerned about it with previous vehicles. Any brand seemed to work equally well. But for some reason the others either fall apart or do a poor job on the Tundra.
I got to thinking more about this - CP with a Hundai(?) and your Toyota -

We know that steel that comes from overseas is sub-grade. I wondered about the windshields - are there different qualities of glass?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya

Woot.com has Bosch Evoultion blades for 8 bucks today. They are going fast so if you want some better be quick.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Hiya

Woot.com has Bosch Evoultion blades for 8 bucks today. They are going fast so if you want some better be quick.
What's the difference from the Icon's. I have these in my cart and then noticed.....

Edit - I see the Icons are better - going to stick with what works for me.

Thanks for the heads up though!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Another bosch fan here. I watch for sales and pick them up then.

Just curious why she hates rain x on the windshield? I use it, but still use wipers and it really chases the water off the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts

We know that steel that comes from overseas is sub-grade. I wondered about the windshields - are there different qualities of glass?
In my case it isn't the quality of the glass. The windshield is curved more at the two far ends. Most blades don't seem to bend enough to stay in contact with the glass. As they sweep across the windshield, the ends of the blade are hanging out in the air for a split second. It seems like the constant make/break of contact with the glass causes damage the blade spline (the rubber part that does the work) and the next thing you know, you have streaking when you run the wipers.

For some reason the Bosch blades manage to "cling" to the glass across the full length of the blade.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts

Just curious why she hates rain x on the windshield? I use it, but still use wipers and it really chases the water off the windshield.
I used to do the Rain-X application and loved it when it was fresh - stopped doing it now. I use the Rain-X washer fluid now for years - not quite the same effect but I find it a very good windshield cleaner. I also keep some in a spray bottle for cleaning windows and mirrors in the winter (doesn't freeze).

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I like Bosch Icon's too, never tried the Evolution. I think that all wipers will streak when they pick up grit and dirt off the windshield, even the Icon's. I take a paper towel and clean them off often during the rain and snow season. But it seem that the Icon's have given me the longest life so far. I usually wait for a sale at Advanced, Autozone, or other auto supply and stock an extra set.

I just heard about Invisible glass from a co-worker who has a window cleaning service on the side. Bought some, but haven't tried it yet.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I like Bosch Icon's too, never tried the Evolution. I think that all wipers will streak when they pick up grit and dirt off the windshield, even the Icon's. I take a paper towel and clean them off often during the rain and snow season. But it seem that the Icon's have given me the longest life so far. I usually wait for a sale at Advanced, Autozone, or other auto supply and stock an extra set.

I just heard about Invisible glass from a co-worker who has a window cleaning service on the side. Bought some, but haven't tried it yet.

Just my 2 cents.
The Invisible glass is another one of those things - once I tried it I will never use anything else - vehicle or in the house.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Kind of ironic (and timely) - when my truck inspection was done today the guy said the only thing of note was my wipers are starting to streak and if I wanted them replaced. I told him not unless he had Bosch Icons. He pulled out a Motorcraft(?) clone to show me - ahhh no. Felt super cheap compared to the Icons.

Besides that - I will replace them when I see fit - haven't noticed a problem yet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Tomfive;1660258 I just heard about Invisible glass from a co-worker who has a window cleaning service on the side. Bought some said:
:bigthumb: Invisible glass works great my 2 cents. Use to by Michelin wipers(cannot remember name) at walmart for my truck/car/suv but cannot find them anymore:nunu:

·
Registered
10,287 Posts

I used to use Rain-X Original, but found it wasn't lasting long. The past few years, I've been using the Rain-X 2-In-1.

Rain-X, 2-In-1 All-Season Washer Fluid:
  • All-season formula
  • Removes light snow and ice
  • Powers off bugs and road grime
  • Instantly applies Rain-X water beading technology

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
First, THANKS to CP for starting this thread and reminding me that I needed new wipers on my Jeep! Next, THANKS to Coaltrain for reminding me that I bought some Bosch's several years ago that worked great and that I should buy those as replacements.

I found the Icon's in the size I need them for my Wrangler (13") on Amazon, but decided to get the Evolutions instead. The Icons were touted as being able to hold the curve in the windshield, but the windshield on the Wrangler is flat! So I got the others instead. While I was on a roll, I went ahead and ordered the Icons for Sweetie's Durango.

Next time I'm at Menard's I'm going to pick up a bottle of Invisible Glass and give it a try.

Whether it's big money on implements or little money on stuff like this, you guys sure are a huge asset is helping me spend mine! :lol:

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I can't speak for Mrs. FW's Highlander, but Mrs. CP's Santa Fe came right off the boat from Korea. I have often wondered if the windshield was different myself. I have wondered if it wasn't coated with something at the factory.

Oh who knows, stubbornness? I have never really gotten a good answer other than it makes her eyes funny when the drops run up the windshield. I told her to watch the road, not the drops. Wimmins!

The Invisible glass is another one of those things - once I tried it I will never use anything else - vehicle or in the house.
I use this and have been happy with it. Maybe I will have to buy some Invisible Glass and compare the two.
Glass Cleaner | Sprayway Inc., Pioneers in Aerosols since 1947

It seems like the constant make/break of contact with the glass causes damage the blade spline (the rubber part that does the work) and the next thing you know, you have streaking when you run the wipers.

For some reason the Bosch blades manage to "cling" to the glass across the full length of the blade.

This last set of Anco winter blades did something that I've never had happen before, and it did it on both of our vehicles. If the windshield was not wet enough, the blades would hang up and stop. You would have to spray some washer fluid to get them to move. I know you want good contact, but really, at what cost, a burned up wiper motor?

Whether it's big money on implements or little money on stuff like this, you guys sure are a huge asset is helping me spend mine! :lol:
Just remember Mark, we're always here to help you spend money!

Thanks so much for the response. I will definitely be picking up some Bosch Icons. I may even sneak some Rain X washer fluid in the reservoir too!:lol:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

I used to work in several different auto parts stores going through high school. One was the largest auto body supplier in the area. As such we sold to detail shops as well as auto body and dealership prep shops. We used to sell a pallet of Spray-a-way glass cleaner a week. Granted this was more than a few years ago but I still use it and it still works just as good as it always did.

One tip on streaky wipers, if you have either lacquer thinner or clear acetone, dampen a rag with a little of either and quickly wipe the blade. Lots of time streaking isn't caused by worn blades, it's caused from "stuff" stuck to the edge of the blade that's adhered to the rubber with sun baking it on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts