Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot off the press!

Introducing the VDS from Otis Innovation, distributed by BoltOnHooks LLC. Our vented dipstick developed for MFWD (Mechanical Front Wheel Drive) front ends allow axle housings to breathe bi-directionally, preventing over-pressurization and vacuum scenarios caused by factory sealed housings or one-way relief valves made by other manufacturers including the OEM option. Order yours today and keep your tractor breathing!

Features:

• Provides protection from axle housing pressurization/vacuum, preventing potential hub seal failure, oil leaks, costly repairs and down time.
  • Precision machined aluminum dipstick and fittings replace OEM components
  • High-mounted, inverted vent and enclosed filtration system offer maximum protection from water, dust and debris
  • Extruded dipstick boss allows for tool-less removal or accepts ¾” (19mm) wrench
  • Beaded hose adapter allows for quick removal of vent hose for oil level checks
  • Hose length from 2” to 42” depending on tractor model and/or user preference
  • No moving parts
  • All associated hardware for complete installation included
  • Designed and made in USA
Kit Includes:

• Replacement machined aluminum dipstick with appropriate level indicator
  • Tygon A-60-G vent tubing
  • Precision machined hose adapter and vent assembly
  • All associated o-rings
  • Dust filter
  • Cable Ties
  • Adhesive-back cable tie mounts and screws for additional versatility
  • Spring clamps
  • Detailed Instructions

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Why is the hose needed? Battery and radiator overflow vents run from under hood to underneath the tractor, but the front axle vent needs to run up from under the tractor into the engine compartment ? Trying to understand why and also eliminate the jacking step, since I'd need to buy another jack in addition to the vent kit.

Is there a known length of vent hose that is ideal for the 1025R to eliminate the jacking step?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Why is the hose needed? Battery and radiator overflow vents run from under hood to underneath the tractor, but the front axle vent needs to run up from under the tractor into the engine compartment ? Trying to understand why and also eliminate the jacking step, since I'd need to buy another jack in addition to the vent kit.

Is there a known length of vent hose that is ideal for the 1025R to eliminate the jacking step?
The vent hose is extended to keep from sucking water or debris into the vent. Trucks and Jeeps have the axle vent tubes ran up to the frame rails or higher for the same reasons. I add a small engine fuel filter to the end of the line if the factory piece is missing.

·
Registered
2013 JD2520, 2011 JD3320,
41 Posts

If you cannot jack up the tractor to determine actual sway of the axle, we recommend appx. 3” of slack in the hose upon installation (with tractor on level ground with no jack). Jacking is not necessary, it simply makes for more accurate measurement determination.

Jake

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The vent hose is extended to keep from sucking water or debris into the vent. Trucks and Jeeps have the axle vent tubes ran up to the frame rails or higher for the same reasons. I add a small engine fuel filter to the end of the line if the factory piece is missing.
I can see that, but I have never had my tractor's front axle under water. I can see it makes sense for a truck that off-roads and does creek crossings though.

I also understand the sucking dust potential, but isn't the radiator fan sucking concentrated amounts of dust under the hood where the vent hose is routed? I think your idea of adding a small air filter to the end of the hose in this under hood location is an excellent one. I'll definitely plan to add a filter to mine. Thanks for the idea! (y)

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,501 Posts
I can see that, but I have never had my tractor's front axle under water. I can see it makes sense for a truck that off-roads and does creek crossings though.

I also understand the sucking dust potential, but isn't the radiator fan sucking concentrated amounts of dust under the hood where the vent hose is routed? I think your idea of adding a small air filter to the end of the hose in this under hood location is an excellent one. I'll definitely plan to add a filter to mine. Thanks for the idea! (y)
This isn't for "off roading". As things heat up, they expand creating positive pressure, positive pressures try to find the weakest link out, you know, physics and that fun stuff. Those weakest links are are the axle seals, unless there is a vent, which this is. The intent is this is insurance against a seal failure, and the high location of the hose keeps a axle installed vent out of potential water/moisture, as well as puts it in a dry (ish) and warm (relative to ambient) area under the hood. Do you need it, maybe. Is it cheaper than replacing axle seals, yup. Will it solve world hunger, nope. Does it help you spend more time "playing" with your tractor, yep!

Edit: it will take time away from putting a brisket on the smoker though.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Nothing like a great Brisket

·
Registered
44 Posts
On behalf of us mechanical novices, I gotta ask, if these vents are necessary (which sounds like they are), why aren't they built in to the axles at point of axle manufacture?

·
Premium Member
16,951 Posts
On behalf of us mechanical novices, I gotta ask, if these vents are necessary (which sounds like they are), why aren't they built in to the axles at point of axle manufacture?
They are on some models. Example, I believe on the 3x20-series JD later added a vented dipstick to the front axle. On the 3033R they then installed a vent on the axle housing similar to the vent you find on the differential of your vehicle.

For some reason there have been more reports of front axle pressurization issues on the 3-series than other models but the issue can exist with any unvented axle.

Font Motor vehicle Auto part Technology Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Because the plastic screw cap costs a few pennies, a vented cap a few dollars. Chances of failures from the plastic cap are slim so it’s cost effective to use the cheapest option.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Ken, I see you have the VDS-JD-2 in stock now? When did you sneak that in there?

On the main page that you linked it says "Coming soon - join the wait list". But no link for a wait list.

So I hit the "add to cart" button and lo and behold it is in my cart. Before I proceed is it really in stock? Don't want to mess up your cart and shipping system if you don't have it.

·
Administrator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ken, I see you have the VDS-JD-2 in stock now? When did you sneak that in there?

On the main page that you linked it says "Coming soon - join the wait list". But no link for a wait list.

So I hit the "add to cart" button and lo and behold it is in my cart. Before I proceed is it really in stock? Don't want to mess up your cart and shipping system if you don't have it.
Stan...
Yes, I got them in yesterday before I posted this thread. The website won't allow you to add out-of-stock parts anyway.

I have to edit the page, thanks for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
16,951 Posts
The product description mentions that the vented cap kit includes a dust filter. Perhaps Kenny can elaborate.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Just ordered Ken. This will be a welcome addition. Well worth it to avoid a pressure caused front axle leak and a PITA repair. The kit is a lot cheaper and easier than a repair. A nice easy install project too.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have looked at the Otis information on-line for the 1-, 2-, and 3-series tractors and nothing is mentioned about a dust filter as part of the kit. I don't see anything in the Otis video that looks to me like a dust filter, unless it's that little silver thing on the hose end under the tractor. Could someone with the 1-series kit plese verify for me that there is a dust filter that comes with the kit from KBOH. Maybe it is a KBOH modification to the Otis design? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I have looked at the Otis information on-line for the 1-, 2-, and 3-series tractors and nothing is mentioned about a dust filter as part of the kit. I don't see anything in the Otis video that looks to me like a dust filter, unless it's that little silver thing on the hose end under the tractor. Could someone with the 1-series kit plese verify for me that there is a dust filter that comes with the kit from KBOH. Maybe it is a KBOH modification to the Otis design? Thanks.
That silver cap on the end of the hose would be the dust filter.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Stan...
Yes, I got them in yesterday before I posted this thread. The website won't allow you to add out-of-stock parts anyway.

I have to edit the page, thanks for the reminder.
Awesome!

Order placed - glad you got them in.

Gear grinder edit - PayPal was insisting on a mobile number (which I don’t have). Not your fault I know. Had this happen with Lowe’s also. I hope my order went through OK.

·
Administrator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome!

Order placed - glad you got them in.

Gear grinder edit - PayPal was insisting on a mobile number (which I don’t have). Not your fault I know. Had this happen with Lowe’s also. I hope my order went through OK.
Received just fine, thanks Stan.

PayPal forced an update on us awhile ago and it's been a real PITA for us and some customers, we will be changing to another merchant service at some point in the next few months, sorry for the hassle. BUT: I read that you have/had a prepaid cell in your truck, it has a number right?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts