Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered this earlier this fall and installed. Fits my 3320. I had to replace a front axle seal last year after quite a bit of loader work from a very stormy summer.

My question is : as I get ready for snow plowing, (FEL and rear hydraulic activated blade.) Is this dipstick a one way valve? I use the FEL to push and lift snow and sometimes will bury the front axle in a snow drift. Will water get into the front axle? Should I put the old plastic yellow dipstick on for winter?

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,209 Posts
A little late since you just bought one, but this is probably a better option:

To answer your question, it's possible the fluid can be drawn into the vent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I made a copy of that for my 4052r earlier this year and it works great ,It looks like the vent I bought for mine to screw into the axel plug dipstick ,so it should be just a vent with a cap that allows air both ways and keeps water out unless it gets submerged under water
Snow should not be a problem as it is not a liquid .
If you are concerned you could get a 1/8 pipe thead barb fitting and replace the vent and some hose and route it up into the battery area and you will still have a vent
just a suggestion ?

·
Administrator
22,927 Posts
@JakeT may comment too, but that valve they (JD) use is one-way. I bought the same last year and I'm changing mine out to the new offering from Otis because I feel like it s better design.

·
Registered
119 Posts
@JakeT may comment too, but that valve they (JD) use is one-way. I bought the same last year and I'm changing mine out to the new offering from Otis because I feel like it s better design.
was not aware that the JD offering was an actual one way valve ,so they are different that what I made and don't mind being corrected Kennyd"
The 2, I made for mine and neighbours tractor the vents are just vents from NAPA and do not have any restriction either way and I ended up putting a bit of felt to stop oil from escaping ,very little but did make a wet spot and that corrected that .
Cheers Peter

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade, 64 massy 165
663 Posts
The one you have is as kennyd stated a pressure vent. The axle will have to build pressure to over come and then vent excess pressure.

The vent "MarkeagleUSA (post2)" sent link to is a true vent. Allowing free flow in both directions. I have one its a very well made, high quality kit.

·
Registered
2013 JD2520, 2011 JD3320,
62 Posts
Jim,

As the folks above have mentioned, the unit offered by JD will only allow pressure to exhaust from the axle, and only once the pressure is high enough to overcome the relief valve spring, which can be as high as 0.3 bar (4+ psi). The hub seals will be exposed to that pressure until the relief opens and only slightly less after it lifts. As long as the axle housing is building pressure, it will never truly be allowed to drop to atmospheric with the JD "vent" installed. Furthermore, in winter or colder conditions, where the air inside the housing is allowed to condense to a point of a vacuum situation, the JD unit will not allow air to be drawn in through the PRV, at which point the seals are then exposed to negative pressure and could they could become the "vacuum breaker". If that happens, debris and dirt can be drawn in with the air, and the seals are then compromised. Our product offered through KennyD at boltonhooks.com allows bi-directional venting and will not allow water ingress as the vent is routed high into the engine bay beneath the hood. Whether you opt for our model or not, you are best served with a vent system that allows a true atmospheric condition in the axle, regardless of temp or ambient conditions. Hope this helps.

Jake
Otis Innovation

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.