Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,033 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I saw that on the news but WHY? I thought that companies learned some lessons about expensive acquisitions out of their realm of expertise??
Maybe because Verizon is run by Yahoos. :)

Seriously though, ISPs want to be content providers too. If you control the content and the delivery mechanism, it's more money in the bank. If you are a Verizon customer, prepare for the Yahoo avalanche coming your way.

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
Maybe because Verizon is run by Yahoos. :)

Seriously though, ISPs want to be content providers too. If you control the content and the delivery mechanism, it's more money in the bank. If you are a Verizon customer, prepare for the Yahoo avalanche coming your way.
From the interviews on Bloomberg today, it sounds like Verizon wants to build a competing service to Facebook (which I refer to as WasteBook as I personally think it is as much a bane on society as a benefit). Also, it is considered a "small" acquisition for Verizon who's market value is about 45 times what they paid for Yahoo.

Everything is about monetizing the electronic data created by each person's unique use of the internet and targeting the advertising to try and get consumers to spend more money. In my opinion, it's also why many of the "internet " companies like Yahoo have a very debatable true market price. Yahoo doesn't make any money, "net". Also involved in the deal is America On Line (AOL) which I am not evens sure what AOL does anymore and I am not interested enough to look it up. Those of you who were investors in the early 2000's will vividly remember the "Technology meltdown" which not only wiped out a tremendous amount of investor wealth over night, it also resulted in many companies which were "well known" disappearing over night. :banghead:

And Gizmo, with 320,000,000 people in the U.S. and a purchase price of $4.8 billion, it would be about $15 per person. This of course doesn't take into consideration the population reduction which is going on in Chicago now every 13 hours.........Chicago has had 2,320 people shot and 379 homicides as of this posting YTD in 2016.

This past week, they shot 114 and killed 14. A person is shot every 2 hours and 9 minutes and one is murdered every 13 hours and 5 minutes. Here is a link to all the details about Chicago shootings you likely never wanted to know. :dunno:

2016 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
AOL last year...Yahoo this year...maybe next year they can resurrect Compuserve? :dunno:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Can't help think how much money that would be for each tax payer in the US! :banghead:
That's only half of what the US Government spends each and every single DAY (10.46 Billion)!

·
Old Pa-pa
11,727 Posts
AOL last year...Yahoo this year...maybe next year they can resurrect Compuserve? :dunno:
Heck, they might diversify even more and buy Sears, K Mart and Radio Shack.....................:lol:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
OH BOY! This deal should be good for my Verizon stock dividends.:laugh: Of course, if a "Donkey" gets the November nod they'll be after Verizon like they're after coal and do another break up. Either way I win, I won during the last com-stock breakup.:good2:

I envision a time when all the Facebookers, Twitchirpers, etc. tire of being up each other's noses every 10 seconds and that stuff flat lines and declines. Soon school graduates will be too dumb to even use a "smart phone" anyway and it's back to dropping dimes. Then they all will be watching "Veriz-Hoo" special content programming (Vice Channel, Harry Heroin's Club, etc.). I myself am proud to be a "None of yer business" generation hold out.:mocking::laugh: "Write me!":laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
That's how Cumcrap (Comcast) is with their Xfinity internet, TV, and phone service. Cumcrap also owns NBC.

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
OH BOY! This deal should be good for my Verizon stock dividends.:laugh: Of course, if a "Donkey" gets the November nod they'll be after Verizon like they're after coal and do another break up. Either way I win, I won during the last com-stock breakup.:good2:

I envision a time when all the Facebookers, Twitchirpers, etc. tire of being up each other's noses every 10 seconds and that stuff flat lines and declines. Soon school graduates will be too dumb to even use a "smart phone" anyway and it's back to dropping dimes. Then they all will be watching "Veriz-Hoo" special content programming (Vice Channel, Harry Heroin's Club, etc.). I myself am proud to be a "None of yer business" generation hold out.:mocking::laugh: "Write me!":laugh::laugh:
I "happened upon" the new Vice Channel one night. If that is even a glimpse of the future of society and peoples values, it's incredibly sad how far off the rails people have gotten in just the last decade or so.........shows glamorizing all of the uses of Marijuana. One was a show which compared the heroin from different major U.S. cities and the best way to destroy your life using it. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it myself.

Monday night, My wife and I went to a decent area restaurant where dinner for two cost $40 plus. There was a couple in their late 20's across the isle from us. They had a kid who was probably 2 or 3 years old. The ENTIRE TIME the "baby daddy" had his face buried in his cell phone. The ONLY words I heard him utter were when he ordered his food. He did not speak to the "baby mama" or even the little boy the entire hour we were there. Not one word. Had he not spoken to the waitress, I would have thought maybe he was a mute.

The mother of the child spent the entire hour talking "baby talk" to the child and asking him the same questions, often three or four consecutive times. She had a voice like a Disney Character and just imagine her saying "Is that your hot doggie?" It your hot doggie good", Are those your tater totties, Are they good?" Even I wanted to strangle her :banghead: and I only had to tolerate her for the hour they sat there.

But NOT ONE WORD between the adults. He rarely looked up from the phone and the only thing which he seemed interested in staring at was the 18 year old hostesses tag on the rear of her pants. He stared so intently at her when she walked by, I had to look to see if maybe I was missing something. I wasn't. I assume it was a tag or something similar as he stared like he was trying to read something on her backside when she went by.

I was actually wondering if these two have EVER spoken to one another. Even during the time which the baby was conceived. Perhaps he sent her text messages and she responded with baby talk. I did not see one bit of love or concern for one another the entire time. It was very odd. Actually, it is incredibly sad because the child will likely end up in a single parent household and clearly the male isn't interested in being a father. It was like two strangers forced to sit together. It is not a relationship which will succeed nor survive. In fact, I am not sure the relationship was alive last night.

I had to wonder why they even bothered to go out and spend the money for the meal when he could ignore her and THE CHILD at home and save some money. I had a bet with my wife that they would pay the bill for the meal with a "Bridge Card", which in Michigan is the food stamps payment method. I lost. The female paid. I see more and more people who remain buried in their damn phones the entire time they are at a restaurant or elsewhere in public. I don't understand the fascination.

Also, talking in 160 characters or less has really diminished a generations ability to talk to one another. I see a time when the Twitter, Snap Chat's and others of the world, including WasteBook will all be things of the past. They don't create anything of real value and their businesses are extremely trendy. WasteBook is building a conglomerate of companies who don't make a product nor provide a service which doesn't have a very low entry barrier. Things which are "trendy" come and go. Take a look at Apple, they are a Hardware company which provides services. I have been a long time Apple investor and will continue to own them for awhile. But I won't own WasteBook simply because I don't believe in the product and I won't use it. it seems like bubble gum for the mind. You spend a lot of time on an activity which achieves nothing..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts