Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I thought I noticed in a recent video he had them on the rears but not the front. I could be wrong. I remember when he first put them on his 1025 that they couldn't get the fronts for some reason. Maybe they just never saw the need for the fronts or forgot about them?
The fronts are on now...I just hadn’t had time for awhile. Sorry.

Love em.

Tim

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I would love to find shootout comparison review of the R14T vs the Galaxy Garden pro3 /Carlisle versa turf radials.
I am cross shopping the 2 right now for my 5015M, I have the versa turf/galaxy garden pro's on my X758 and 2025R.
Would love know some real world feedback comparing these two tread designs. Both are hybrid turf radials. The Goodyear/Titan R14T looks a little more aggressive might not be a easy on the grass as the others.
I have all 3. Will do a ‘shootout’ sometime.
Need more experience with R14T’s before I have a final opinion.

Tim

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
cc1999,
What hasn't been mentioned much is the Versaturfs ability to self clean. That extra little rubber bar between the tread is a big reason they clear mud and packed dirt so quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I have to find out more about how they do when mowing. Scooter man did a nice multiple point review and stated that they dig in more on turf when turning on mowing. I was hoping they weren’t worse than r4’s”s when mowing my grass. I do upturns on the front and back lawn after each row of mowing and the r4’s make marks which I don’t like. I can’t go turf because they don’t cut it in the woods and brush so was hopin Versa Turfs were a nice change on all fronts including particularly my front lawn where increased marks would show worse if they are not an improvement in mowing too. Any thoughts or experience guys ?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have to find out more about how they do when mowing. Scooter man did a nice multiple point review and stated that they dig in more on turf when turning on mowing. I was hoping they weren’t worse than r4’s”s when mowing my grass. I do upturns on the front and back lawn after each row of mowing and the r4’s make marks which I don’t like. I can’t go turf because they don’t cut it in the woods and brush so was hopin Versa Turfs were a nice change on all fronts including particularly my front lawn where increased marks would show worse if they are not an improvement in mowing too. Any thoughts or experience guys ?
Much less aggressive than R4’s on grass.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ebay, Craigs list, or right here on this site.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You can save them and mount them back on the tractor when you decide to upgrade to a 2 series. Then sell the turfs. 😁

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
I have put about 125 hours on the Versa turfs since December when I installed them. Fantastic tire. Far better than the r4 in my opinion. Rides better, steers better, traction in snow and "sloppy conditions" is far superior because they don't get clogged up like the r4's do. They are easier on the lawn than the R4's. The R4's feel "square" running down the pavement compared to the Versa turfs.

I would be very surprised if the Versa Turf is not the most popular tire choice on these machines within a short period of time. Let's face it, most people have the R4's because that's what was on the machine when they bought it. That will change.

I have a set of R4's for sale for $100 plus shipping and have some interest, but don't expect a land office line up for the R4's as they are widely available and honestly, they are not the same tire as the Versa Turfs......

I was super amazed with the fact I ordered my tires on Sunday night at about 9pm and they were on my front door step 12 hours later on Monday morning, delivered by Fed Ex. My set came from Simple Tire and they were very easy to deal with. Just search their site by the specific tire size as they don't offer tractors under their "Vehicle Choice" input option, nor does John Deere appear as a "Brand" of vehicle in their search offerings. Once you input the tire size, the options will appear and show you each tire with its details.

Had mine put on my wheels for about $65 in total cost, but I don't run loaded tires. Any tire shop which does commercial or agricultural tire work should be willing to handle the mount / dismount. Of course, if you are desiring to wrestle with tires, you could pick up a set of tire irons at Harbor Freight and handle the change yourself. Personally, I don't want to work that hard and on the floor for $16 per tire and wheel charged by the tire shop.

Also, if you take them to your Deere dealer, ask first if they actually do the tire work themselves as many dealers simply take and drop off the tires to the local commercial / ag tire shop, the same place I went directly to, so involving the dealer just adds time and costs to the tire swap if they are having an outside shop perform the work.

I should state that I did remove the tires and wheels and take them to the tire shop myself. Make sure to properly torque the wheel bolts when putting back on. The wheel bolts are a little trickier to align than using lug nuts on wheel studs. Those with wheel spacers will have wheel studs on which to set the wheel and then start the lug nuts. Those with the stock set up will have to align the wheel to the bolt holes and start the wheel bolts by hand, which is made easier if you use a wheel bolt alignment tool.

Or you can just take a longer bolt and cut the head off it and thread it into the hub, usually at the top of the hub and then hang the wheel on the bolt and it makes aligning the 1st wheel bolt much easier. The wheel bolt size is M12x1.25 so just purchase one longer where you can cut the head off the bolt and have the bolt shank sticking out after its threaded into the hub.

Also, run the wheel bolts into the hub by hand at least three full turns before putting any tools on them to snug them up. There have been several people who cross threaded the wheel bolts into the hubs and ended up having to fix the threads in the hub. Just take your time and make sure to have the threads properly engaged before putting tools on them and you should be fine. At all times, you should be able to turn the wheel bolts with your fingers to the point the bolt seat makes contact with the wheel.

After running the new tires for 8 to 10 hours, check the wheel bolts again to make sure the proper wheel torque is maintained.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The wheel bolts are a little trickier to align than using lug nuts on wheel studs. Those with wheel spacers will have wheel studs on which to set the wheel and then start the lug nuts. Those with the stock set up will have to align the wheel to the bolt holes and start the wheel bolts by hand, which is made easier if you use a wheel bolt alignment tool.

Or you can just take a longer bolt and cut the head off it and thread it into the hub, usually at the top of the hub and then hang the wheel on the bolt and it makes aligning the 1st wheel bolt much easier. The wheel bolt size is M12x1.25 so just purchase one longer where you can cut the head off the bolt and have the bolt shank sticking out after its threaded into the hub.

Also, run the wheel bolts into the hub by hand at least three full turns before putting any tools on them to snug them up. There have been several people who cross threaded the wheel bolts into the hubs and ended up having to fix the threads in the hub. Just take your time and make sure to have the threads properly engaged before putting tools on them and you should be fine. At all times, you should be able to turn the wheel bolts with your fingers to the point the bolt seat makes contact with the wheel.

After running the new tires for 8 to 10 hours, check the wheel bolts again to make sure the proper wheel torque is maintained.
Alright, you may have just scared me away from making this change. I can't just take off the tires, take them in to get them swapped out, and put them back onto the tractor? I worked at a tire shop for a couple of years in college (A LONG time ago) but I never remember a process like this, and I changed tires on Lexus and other sports cars. What's a wheel bolt alignment tool? Why is there a need to get a longer bolt and cut it and whatnot? Sorry, that all just completely lost me. I'm not questioning what you're saying, I guess I'm just not familiar with all of this and I've never heard anyone else talk about this process when changing the tires.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The axle flange doesn't have studs. You have to set the tire on the center flange then run a bolt through it. It's very unhandy. Worse if your wheel weighs 170 lbs if fully loaded. If you ever add wheel spacers, then you will have studs to hang the wheel on just like a vehicle.

Finding a tire shop that can handle tire fluids is also another issue in of itself.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
When putting spacers on the 3200 which has loaded tires I used 2 alignment bolts to help get the tires set, could not have done without

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The axle flange doesn't have studs. You have to set the tire on the center flange then run a bolt through it. It's very unhandy. Worse if your wheel weighs 170 lbs if fully loaded. If you ever add wheel spacers, then you will have studs to hang the wheel on just like a vehicle.

Finding a tire shop that can handle tire fluids is also another issue in of itself.
OK, so basically put it on the flange and try to keep it on there while at the same time rotating the tire until it lines up with the hole to thread the bolt into?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
OK, so basically put it on the flange and try to keep it on there while at the same time rotating the tire until it lines up with the hole to thread the bolt into?
You got it dude ! (y)

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
You got it dude ! (y)
Jimmy is right

And NOT strip out the axle flange threads by trying to use an impact or other tool to help "start" the wheel bolts........while you are sitting on your butt on the floor lifting the tire with your knees trying to center it so you cans start the wheel bolts.............You can use a shovel to lift the tire, but you still have to get it aligned to start the wheel BOLTS because tractors don't use LUG NUTS, like cars, unless they have the wheel spacers installed. To be honest, its one of the best reasons to add wheel spacers beyond the increased stability.

Runikee, You must not own a European car (Benz, Audi, BMW, etc) as they all use the same wheel mounting process. They even come with wheel centering tools in the tire changing kit.....;):)

21 - 40 of 63 Posts