Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Just watched a 10-year old YouTube video that showed a guy changing his tire. Makes sense after seeing it. So is there a reason JD went with no lug bolts? Costs I assume?
You have to be real careful hanging heavy wheels, especially loaded tires, on wheel studs as it will damage the threads also if you slide it on crooked or bind it while installing it. Many pieces of equipment use wheel bolts.......Are they harder to use Without the wheel alignment tool? Yes, which is why I mentioned it. Wouldn't you rather know now that be the next person asking how to repair the threads in the hub? Think of what you learned already that you didn't even ask about....(y)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Runikee, You must not own a European car (Benz, Audi, BMW, etc) as they all use the same wheel mounting process. They even come with wheel centering tools in the tire changing kit.....;):)
Sure don't. I have a 4WD sports car and paid half the price to get something from a different continent that gets me from A to B just fine, and is a lot of fun to ride in. Has held its value great and goes through absolutely any conditions. A friend of mine works on Mercs and Beamers. Even knowing I could get free labor, I still wouldn't pay those prices for parts on European cars.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yes, which is why I mentioned it. Wouldn't you rather know now that be the next person asking how to repair the threads in the hub? Think of what you learned already that you didn't even ask about....(y)
You definitely told me what to watch for and taught me about how these tires go on. I definitely would've had a surprise when I went to change it. That would've been another phone call to either dad or one of my friends from high school. I think I'm one of the few around me who did not grow up on a farm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just picked a 1025R last Friday. My dealer sold about 100 1025's last year and are on track to sell at least that many again this year. Only problem is that they order them all with R4's even though my rep has told management that a growing number of customers are wanting the VTs, but they are set in their ways and continue to order just R4 equipped 1025s.

Anyway, they have a guy at one of the stores (James River Equipment is comprised of about 50 dealers), that specialize in swapping out wheel/tire combos depending on what customers want. Hopefully that guy will come through for me. Got 1.8 hours on my new machine and have it kinda just sitting there waiting for the VTs since I don't want to put any wear on the R4's before trading.

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Just picked a 1025R last Friday. My dealer sold about 100 1025's last year and are on track to sell at least that many again this year. Only problem is that they order them all with R4's even though my rep has told management that a growing number of customers are wanting the VTs, but they are set in their ways and continue to order just R4 equipped 1025s.

Anyway, they have a guy at one of the stores (James River Equipment is comprised of about 50 dealers), that specialize in swapping out wheel/tire combos depending on what customers want. Hopefully that guy will come through for me. Got 1.8 hours on my new machine and have it kinda just sitting there waiting for the VTs since I don't want to put any wear on the R4's before trading.
Don't worry about wearing down the R4's before making the tire swap. Use the machine. The R4's are like iron. Here are mine after 600 hours of use and probably 450 hours of that use is on the roads.........Unless you are going to do water box burnouts*, you won't notice any wear which will affect the tires "trade value"..............

Use the machine and enjoy it. Even 50 hours won't impact the tires and wheels for trade........Have fun.....

*water box burnouts are what you do when drag racing and preparing to approach the starting line. The area before the starting line is asphalt and water and other liquids are applied to the track to initiate the burn out process to heat and clean the tires and put down hot rubber to aid in traction from the launch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
I have almost 80 hours on my R4s and they still look new, even still have the flashing on the treads.
Actually, I have seen some R4's which were cut or had the tread damaged from something sharp being run over, but I haven't seen any on these tractors which were just "worn out".

I have seen some R4's on skid steers which were pretty trashed, but that's also from pivoting on the tires every time they make a machine turn. I haven't figured out how to turn like that on my 1025r (yet)........;) One thing about the R4's, they are as tough as iron on these small tractors..........(y)

Reactions: trav and crazydane

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll drive my 1025 like I stole it then until I hear back from the dealer. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
The JD dealer wanted $690.00 for a set of Versa Turfs and $75.00 for changing each tire out on the rims-$300.00. total $990.00. Called a tire shop near the farms and near me he will have the tires in one day and change them on the rims for a total of $524.00 !!! Sorry JD, you lose on this one. The hardest part for me is getting all the wheels off I only have one set of jack stands. Anyway, the guy said get your wheels off, call me and come the next day. It’s looking good for Versa turfs.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
R4 are the absolute best wearing tire for the 1025. They will likely last 30,000 hours. About the time the engine is starting to break in for peak performance 😬

Reactions: Treefarmer and trav

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well that was fast. Sales guy sent me an email last night that he got in a 1025 with the Versa Turfs, so I guess I'll remove my R4's, throw them in the back of the truck, and head over to the dealer today to grab the radials off that new tractor. Also just ordered a pair of 1.4" spacers from Bro-Tek along with some goodies from Ken.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Off with the old:

And on with the new:

Can't wait to check out how it drives now! Dealer didn't bother charging me the $200 up charge since the paperwork with the R4's was already done.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Just got home from ag shop and tire dealer 20 mins away. Versa turfs are on the rims and in my garage. Will clean and wipe down the rims and install tires and wheel weights tomorrow. They were $524.00 out the door including removing R-4’s and putting Versa turfs on the rims. All tires were removed and put on by hand. I couldn’t believe how quick they did it by hand. Will do the first trial run tomorro.

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Tires are on and also the wheel weights, starters 72* and 50* add ons. Torqued all the lug bolts and glad I did. Checked each ones air pressure and adjusted to the manufacturer spec, 20 psi and 22 psi. I was absolutely shocked at how much smother the tractor feels on these tires. It was a pleasant surprise. I thought they would be smoother but they are very noticeably smoother. Tested them on grade, asphalt dirt and grass. Also mowed two strips after two days of rain to look for tire marks from mowing and u turns, there were none. Very happy with these tires so far. One last comment is that I did so so much better calling up a tire shop that is about 12 miles away. He got all 4 in within two business days and they were put on the rims real quick at almost 1/2 the price of my JD dealer. I honestly think that JD dealers don’t want to be bothered changing tires. The guys that did mine said they did all 4 by hand, the machine was not an option and it was a total tire place. Also, they have no negative effects on the MMM quick attaching.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
@Firemark how are the versaturfs on side hill? I was worried about the sidewalls flexing and causing rollover. Thats the big reason i thought r4 were better for me

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
@Firemark how are the versaturfs on side hill? I was worried about the sidewalls flexing and causing rollover. Thats the big reason i thought r4 were better for me
I didn’t see a problem here but I also didn’t push it. I had no implements on and no front bucket either. I didn’t feel any out of control sidewall flex. I have an Area that when mowing I am carefull while going over the mound side ways. That will be my sidewall flex test but from what I’ve driven on during my first test so far I’m very happy. I’ve had r4’s since I’ve owned the tractor until today. Anything comes up, will let you guys know and post it.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I was using a 66” plow on the 2305 to push and level dirt with my versa turfs.... worked great, did run with my ballast box on traction was excellent
Also been running on steep grades spreading dirt with loader, no issues to report
A great tire👍

Reactions: Firemark

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,213 Posts
Jimmy, I've spent a few hours over the last few days up in my woods which are all hill. While I had severe pucker factor being it was my first time up there with the new toy, the tires felt fine and traction in mud, soil, leaves, rocks was awesome. Driving around the yard (also hilly) with the VT's also feel great and have lots of grip. The absolute best thing about them is that they do not load up with debris, including mud.

Keep in mind I have no baseline as I never really used the R4's that came on the 1025R.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone notice if this tire tends to stick/collect gravel in the tread? Putting my order in tomorrow for a new 1025r and trying to decide which tire to go with. I have a long gravel drive and was wondering if anyone had any issues with stone sticking in the tread. I don’t want to be tracking a bunch of stone in to the grass when mowing. Thanks

41 - 60 of 63 Posts