Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2019 JD 4052M Hydro, JD 400E Loader, Frontier AP12F Forks, Frontier BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have a Z920M with 60" deck. It currently has Carlisle Turf Master 24x12.00-12's on it. They have some wear, but still plenty of life left in them. However, we routinely mow ditches, pond banks, spillways, and hills, and quite often you either end up stuck or sliding or spinning the tires. I've looked at a few options for new tires (new turf tires, Versa Turfs, HDAP's) and I would really like to try a set of Versa Turfs. Carlisle offers them in a 24x12.00R12 size. Has anyone had any experience with putting these on a ZTR? New rims may be needed but I'm not sure. I'm by no means a tire expert so I need some insight from others. Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
So we have a Z920M with 60" deck. It currently has Carlisle Turf Master 24x12.00-12's on it. They have some wear, but still plenty of life left in them. However, we routinely mow ditches, pond banks, spillways, and hills, and quite often you either end up stuck or sliding or spinning the tires. I've looked at a few options for new tires (new turf tires, Versa Turfs, HDAP's) and I would really like to try a set of Versa Turfs. Carlisle offers them in a 24x12.00R12 size. Has anyone had any experience with putting these on a ZTR? New rims may be needed but I'm not sure. I'm by no means a tire expert so I need some insight from others. Thanks
[/QUOTE

I'm running 24x12:00-12 Carlisle Turf Master's on my JD Ztrak and mowing a 25" high x 1/4 mile pond bank, and I never spin, slide or stuck the mower for the past 10 years. I was hesitate at first to mow the pond bank until I installed 2-1/2" wheel spacers on each wheel. Now I don't fear sliding or lose control of the mower.

·
Premium Member
14,484 Posts
I was spinning all the time with my Ferris and ended up putting Carlisle All Trail on my mower. Made a world of difference.
I went with a similar style on the Z915E.

Tire Wheel Plant Mower Lawn mower

They made a significant improvement but I still had places that I needed a bit more traction so I did what we do to tractors - I loaded them. Big time difference.

·
Registered
2019 JD 4052M Hydro, JD 400E Loader, Frontier AP12F Forks, Frontier BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Might just have to go with HDAP's or the All Trail's. I really wanted to make the Versa-Turfs fit because I've never seen it done before and I'm sure it would help others out too. But it might be too much trouble. I'll have to think about it.

@rtgt quick question. What engine does the Z915E have in it? I thought I heard it had a Kohler engine instead of the Kawasaki and didn't have as much power. The Z920M has the 23.5 hp Kawasaki and I can really make it work.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
14,484 Posts
What engine does the Z915E have in it?
25hp Kohler. The "E" is for economy.... :LOL:

I can't compare it to the Z920 since I've never ran one, but it has enough power for the 60" deck as long as your not cutting a hay field.

Reactions: JD4052M and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,312 Posts
I was spinning all the time with my Ferris and ended up putting Carlisle All Trail on my mower. Made a world of difference.
Back when I ran All Trail tires on our Toro Z-150
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Guys on TBN have raved about Carlisle AT101s. They only come in bigger size. The local tire outfit ordered one like the sales guy has on his own mower that is similar to the AT101s but will be 3/4 inch wider and higher then the Ryobi's 18x8.5-8s. He wants me try it out for size. I needed another wheelbarrow tire. They're replacing it for me.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Plant Sky Plant community Ecoregion Green

Tire Wheel Lawn mower Plant Motor vehicle

i did just cut a hay field with my 930

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! I’ll have to do some more research. @VintageOkieDriver if you have sharp blades you can easily cut foot tall grass with them. Over the past couple years I’ve figured out that sharp blades enable you to cut taller, thicker grass and still do a good job.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Not to mention sharpening the blades the way John Deere suggests to. I sharpened my Gator blades that way (after reading it on the GTTF) with the flat edge and I do think you get a better cut and the blade is better protected from getting nicked.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to mention sharpening the blades the way John Deere suggests to. I sharpened my Gator blades that way (after reading it on the GTTF) with the flat edge and I do think you get a better cut and the blade is better protected from getting nicked.
Out of curiosity do you have some pictures of the way you are supposed to sharpen them? I just use an angle grinder with a metal grinding disk and try to maintain the factory "angle". I have a 6" bench grinder but haven't tried that yet. I've figured out it works good to do a pass on top, a pass on bottom, then another pass on top and it gets most of the nicks out. I guess I want to know if I'm doing it the right way lol.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
How often do you have to sharpen them? A new set will last me 2 seasons. I don't even fool with sharpening any more.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How often do you have to sharpen them? A new set will last me 2 seasons. I don't even fool with sharpening any more.
We used the last set of blades for about 230 hours, or 4 seasons. We put new blades on at the end of last season. I have already sharpened them once this season. I did some research and found that most professional lawn care people sharpen their blades every 25 hours and replace them every 100 hours (don't quote me on that, its been a while since I read that). The 25 hour sharpening works out good, but I expect to get at least 200 hours out of them. If I didn't have custom mowing jobs I wouldn't sharpen them as often, but I take pride in leaving a nice clean cut on other people's lawn as well as my own.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Out of curiosity do you have some pictures of the way you are supposed to sharpen them? I just use an angle grinder with a metal grinding disk and try to maintain the factory "angle". I have a 6" bench grinder but haven't tried that yet. I've figured out it works good to do a pass on top, a pass on bottom, then another pass on top and it gets most of the nicks out. I guess I want to know if I'm doing it the right way lol.
No I don't but from the description in the thread it explained to regrind the factory angle and once the nicks were out and they were balanced to then "cut" grind or flatten the sharp edge just slightly and the result was two cutting edges. Don't shoot me I'm just the message repeater. LOL

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I went with a similar style on the Z915E.

View attachment 838499

They made a significant improvement but I still had places that I needed a bit more traction so I did what we do to tractors - I loaded them. Big time difference.
What did you load them with? Those look like the same tires I put on my Pro Turn and they seem like a really good tire but I feel like I need more weight.

Reactions: JD4052M and rtgt

·
Premium Member
14,484 Posts
What did you load them with? Those look like the same tires I put on my Pro Turn and they seem like a really good tire but I feel like I need more weight.
-25 degree windshield washer fluid.

about 6 gallons per tire.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts