Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Guys on TBN have raved about Carlisle AT101s. They only come in bigger size. The local tire outfit ordered one like the sales guy has on his own mower that is similar to the AT101s but will be 3/4 inch wider and higher then the Ryobi's 18x8.5-8s. He wants me try it out for size. I needed another wheelbarrow tire. They're replacing it for me.

I ran AT101's on my 797. Great tire, R1 type lugs, never got stuck again in a wet ditch with those. All you have to do to keep from really tearing up the grass, in a turn, is to keep the inside tire just barely moving.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

I bought a Kubota ZD326 recently, and I am thinking of trying the Versa Turfs in 26x12x12, this time around. It currently has just normal old turf tires on it, that absolutely suck.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and JD4052M

·
Registered
2019 JD 4052M Hydro, JD 400E Loader, Frontier AP12F Forks, Frontier BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well this week dad mowed more than usual and it was pretty wet and he said we need to get new tires. Both of us are tired of sitting there spinning the tires on the grass when trying to do something as simple as just turning around. It’s almost getting to the point of being not safe as both of us have gone sliding down the back of the pond levy multiple times already this year. I’ve ruled out R1 tires as they would be too aggressive for our situation. Strongly considering All Trails or Field Trax. I still would love to have Versa Turfs but it would take a lot of time and money to get them to work.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The AT101's are less aggressive than you may believe. They are available on your 24x12x12 size too, as that is the size I needed for my 797 (pic above). My neighbor bought my 797 from me, and mows pretty much all flat land, with a very nice yard. No complaints. I mowed mostly flat yard too, with the execption of steep ditches. No real complaints. I think the trade off is worth it. Its gonna be hard toget the best of all worlds. If safety is a potential issue, I think the argument has been made.

Reactions: JD4052M

·
Registered
2019 JD 4052M Hydro, JD 400E Loader, Frontier AP12F Forks, Frontier BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The AT101's are less aggressive than you may believe. They are available on your 24x12x12 size too, as that is the size I needed for my 797 (pic above). My neighbor bought my 797 from me, and mows pretty much all flat land, with a very nice yard. No complaints. I mowed mostly flat yard too, with the execption of steep ditches. No real complaints. I think the trade off is worth it. Its gonna be hard toget the best of all worlds. If safety is a potential issue, I think the argument has been made.
You may be right. After hearing your thoughts on the AT101’s I can see how they can be gentle and aggressive at the same time. I’ll throw them back in as an option. One of our ditches is fairly steep and almost always wet so the turf tires just don’t cut it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Unless you are just super anal about your lawn/yard, you'll be fine. I've got too much grass, to be that anal about it. I just wanna cut it fast, and without sliding down the ditches, or spinning a tire in a turn.
I would get them again for my new machine, except they do not make them in a 26x12x12. Which is why I'm leaning to the Versa Turfs, as they're available in the size I need.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Unless you are just super anal about your lawn/yard, you'll be fine. I've got too much grass, to be that anal about it. I just wanna cut it fast, and without sliding down the ditches, or spinning a tire in a turn.
I would get them again for my new machine, except they do not make them in a 26x12x12. Which is why I'm leaning to the Versa Turfs, as they're available in the size I need.
I’m more or less in the same boat. I discussed Field Trax vs AT101’s with boss man and we concluded that the At101’s would probably wear down pretty fast considering we drive on concrete a lot. So I think Field Trax is the way to go for us.

Reactions: SRG

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Post up your thoughts on them when you get some time on.
I just ordered a pair of 26x12x12 Versa Turfs for mine. I'll make a thread on them, when I get'em mounted.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Post up your thoughts on them when you get some time on.
I just ordered a pair of 26x12x12 Versa Turfs for mine. I'll make a thread on them, when I get'em mounted.
I sure will! I’m hoping the difference will be very noticeable. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts when you get some time on the VT’s. I am still convinced that Versa Turfs are the best tire out there for a ZTR even though I’ve never run them, not even on a tractor. But after hearing how happy people are with them on their 1025R, I think they’d be great!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

This is the only listing I've found for 24x12x12 VT's.

Carlisle lists them as a new size as of 2020, in a 24x12x12 size. You'd think they would be more readily available.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

This is the only listing I've found for 24x12x12 VT's.

Carlisle lists them as a new size as of 2020, in a 24x12x12 size. You'd think they would be more readily available.

I’ve only found a couple of listings as well. Even if you could find 24x12-12’s, you’d have to find some special rims to be able to get them onto a Deere Z900 series or equivalent machine that runs 24” tires. It looks like your Kubota uses the same rear rims as a Kubota BX or 1025R, so you have at least 3 common options for tires - Regular Turfs, Versa Turfs, and R4’s. I actually saw a large Hustler ZTR with Versa Turfs here locally last week. I believe it was like yours and runs 26” tires on the common rims.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
What size are your OEM tires, are they not 24x12x12?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
What size are your OEM tires, are they not 24x12x12?
Yes they are 24x12x12. After looking at this thread I’m questioning myself. Those look like they would fit. Now I’m thinking about finding a set of 24x12-12 VT’s and buying from a source that allows returns in case they don’t fit.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'm curious why you think they won't fit, if they're the same size as your OEM tires?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok I’ve made up my mind and I’m sticking with my decision. I’m overthinking this lol. After 20 minutes of searching for 24x12-12 Versa Turfs, I came up empty. Every tire sales company or website I looked at had the 24’s list as out of stock. Hopefully later this week I’ll order a set of 24x12-12 Carlisle Field Trax. Amazon has them for $145.38 and free shipping arriving June 7th. Those are what we wanted 2 or 3 years ago so we’ll order those and I’m sure they’ll be great. One thing that looks very good about them is they have a row of cleats on each side that wraps around onto the sidewalk some. In my mind, that should give extra traction when they sink down into mud or are in the bottom of a ditch.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm curious why you think they won't fit, if they're the same size as your OEM tires?
I guess I had it in my head that they had a taller sidewall like the 26x12-12. Probably because you can’t hardly find pictures of the 24”, all the pictures are either 26” or the small ones used as front tires on a 1025R. In the thread I posted where that person put them on a 425, he did say they made the tractor sit taller than the turfs, and personally, I would like to keep the cut height of the mower as accurate as possible. So Field Trax it is

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
According to Carlisle, the 24x12x12 Turf Masters, are 23.55" tall when mounted @ 20psi, and the 24x12x12 VT's are 23.9" tall when mounted, @ 20psi. That's pretty much gonna be due to the slightly deeper lug on the VT's. About a 1/4" difference.

Too bad they are so difficult to find, in that size.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. Gotta be miles better than the OEM turfs.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
According to Carlisle, the 24x12x12 Turf Masters, are 23.55" tall when mounted @ 20psi, and the 24x12x12 VT's are 23.9" tall when mounted, @ 20psi. That's pretty much gonna be due to the slightly deeper lug on the VT's. About a 1/4" difference.

Too bad they are so difficult to find, in that size.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. Gotta be miles better than the OEM turfs.
That’s not bad. If I really wanted to be exact with the VT’s I could just put the deck 1/4” lower than I would with the current tires. The only time it would really matter is if I was mowing the same property with someone else on another mower.

I think we’ll be really happy with the new tires. Anything is lots better than the worn Turf Masters.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The angle difference from front of deck to rear of deck with a 1/4" taller rear tire, would barely be noticeable. You'd have to be looking for the difference, to see it.

Anything is lots better than even new turf masters haha.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Now that I lowered my air pressure to 7 psi these tires perform great, I'm very happy with them. They side hill better than the bar tires I had before and when they slip they don't destroy the turf. I think they are just as good as the Tweels I had on my Z945M but are a lot cheaper.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

These were the bar tires I tried, they were just too aggressive. I had to maneuver so slowly, especially when on slopes to try to not tear up the yard that it was really slowing me down. I have some really steep areas and when they lost traction they took chunks out of the yard. They were pretty much unstoppable in mud though 😂. I still have them in like new condition if anyone is interested.
Automotive tire Plant Wheel Motor vehicle Mower
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,891 Posts
ran AT101's on my 797. Great tire, R1 type lugs, never got stuck again in a wet ditch with those. All you have to do to keep from really tearing up the grass, in a turn, is to keep the inside tire just barely moving.
These were the bar tires I tried, they were just too aggressive.
Years back I tired this type tire. Worked great in the spring but the drier/harder the ground got the less traction I had. Mid to late summer they were terrible.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts