Green Tractor Talk banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

Registered

Registered
2019 JD 4052M Hydro, JD 400E Loader, Frontier AP12F Forks, Frontier BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Holy smokes. You would be wrong sir. I mounted them backwards, because apparently I was a space cadet today. Yikes.
View attachment 847565

You are correct about combines tho, I know a few farmers around here who do that on the rear steer tires, of their 4wd machines.
My excuse it not so. It was hot and sticky, and I just wasn't paying attention. How embarrassing.
Hey I won鈥檛 judge I thought you were being smarter than all the rest of us! I鈥檝e seen combines with all 4 tires mounted backwards. It looks odd but I鈥檝e seen videos of them backing out of mudholes no problem. It seems like most 2wd combines have the rears on backwards, probably for the wear factor.

Registered
Hey I won鈥檛 judge I thought you were being smarter than all the rest of us! I鈥檝e seen combines with all 4 tires mounted backwards. It looks odd but I鈥檝e seen videos of them backing out of mudholes no problem. It seems like most 2wd combines have the rears on backwards, probably for the wear factor.

I just rolled the tires over to the Kubota not paying attention, and whatever side they were on is where they got installed. Oh well. I flip em tomorrow.
When I swapped tires on my 870, I sold the rear 12.4-24's to a farmer, who wanted them for his rear tires on his 2wd combine, to help steering in mucky conditions. He said they mount them backwards too.

Registered
I just rolled the tires over to the Kubota not paying attention, and whatever side they were on is where they got installed. Oh well. I flip em tomorrow.
When I swapped tires on my 870, I sold the rear 12.4-24's to a farmer, who wanted them for his rear tires on his 2wd combine, to help steering in mucky conditions. He said they mount them backwards too.
Hey at least they are both mounted backwards, that's better than getting home and finding out that one was mounted backwards on the rim. Ask me how I know :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Oh man that would suck.

Premium Member
We鈥檝e had the Field Trax for 3 mowings now. Dad and I can both tell a big difference.
I sure like mine on the Z915.

Registered

Got'em flipped to the correct orientation. Went to take a pic to save face, and forgot my phone. LOL.
Mower got put away. Pics another day perhaps.

Administrator
These tires are awesome! The tire shop got them installed this morning, and once we got home and got them on the mower, dad and I both just HAD to try them out. I took it down by the creek to some spots I always had trouble in with the turfs. One is a little wet, shaded corner of bare dirt and the other is a steep embankment. The corner next to the creek was wet enough that I know the turfs would have broken loose, packed with mud, and I鈥檇 be hopelessly stuck. I backed all the way into it, then proceeded to go forward which is also uphill. Tires didn鈥檛 even slip, much less break loose and pack with mud. Just left some tracks. The other spot is an embankment that is between the yard and the creek. At the bottom of the bank there is about a 8鈥 wide 鈥渟helf鈥 before you get to the creek. In the past I have just driven forward down the bank, then backed up out of it, and usually I struggled to get back up as the tires would easily break loose. So today I drove about halfway down the bank, stopped, then started backing up. I felt the tires start to slip a little but they held and got me back up into the yard without a problem. I also tracked part of our big hill that was hard to hold with the turfs, especially when it鈥檚 dry. Today it was really dry and the mower tracked it no problem, no sliding. I was worried about the tires ripping up the turf when turning, but I made about a 2.5鈥 circle in the grass and the inside tire didn鈥檛 do hardly any damage. All in all, I think these will work out great for us. Besides functionality, they also make the mower look good 馃槈
View attachment 844593 View attachment 844594
I, like you, ordered the Carlisle Field Trax. I鈥檓 sliding around just too much on these crappy factory tires on my Ferris IS3200Z. It was dry yesterday, but not bone dry, overall good conditions, and I was sliding around areas I shouldn鈥檛 be. Enough. Click click click, they鈥檙e on the way.

I shall report back with how they work for me and some pics. 馃憤馃徏

Administrator
Any updates on your experience @JD4052M ?

Registered
2019 JD 4052M Hydro, JD 400E Loader, Frontier AP12F Forks, Frontier BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Any updates on your experience @JD4052M ?
Love them. No regrets at all. On very dry grass and soil they still slide some, but not nearly as bad as the turfs. When you do start sliding, they do some damage but not as bad as I would expect. I鈥檓 sure during wet spring mowing I鈥檒l need to be very careful with turns and such. Even when it鈥檚 dry, I鈥檝e gotten in the habit of making wider turns or 3 point turns to reduce turf damage. I try to never spin around on one wheel. I did the same with the old tires, it鈥檚 just a good habit to get into.

Mud - I believe the old turf tires would float on the top of squishy soil and mud better than the Field Trax. Probably simply because they had more ground contact. But one you break through the surface and start slingin mud, the Field Trax are 100x better. Even after they get completely packed up with mud, they still have more traction than the turfs did once packed with mud. Once you are digging a rut, the Field Trax make a deeper rut than the old turfs, but with the Field Trax I鈥檝e gotten out of places I would have been completely stuck with the turfs. Once you have the Field Trax completely full of mud, they actually clean out better than the turfs did, and after mowing for a couple hours, they will be nearly spotless.

The Field Trax make a huge difference on sidehills too. It is much easier and safer to hold a pond levy or ditch bank and easier to recover from a slide.

To put it simply, the Field Trax help you get through the tough spots, and are no different than turfs in the easy spots.

Here鈥檚 a picture of a situation I got into last week. The neighbors pond is so low I have to mow inside the rock around the edge. I figured I was close enough after this. And I know I would have never recovered this with the turf tires. I would鈥檝e been miserably stuck.
Plant Water Natural landscape Tree Grass

Administrator
Something showed up today鈥.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Can鈥檛 wait to get these mounted and tried out. Updates comin鈥欌.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Hmm. Those tires sure look familiar鈥︷煒

Registered
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
@SRG how those Versa Turfs treatin鈥 ya?

Registered
@SRG how those Versa Turfs treatin鈥 ya?
Pretty good actually. They seemed to be more aggressive at the beginning, when I had them on backwards. I like them. Haven't had any wet mowing experience with them yet, like I did with the carlisle at101s. But so far, they ride nice, haven't noticed any destruction while turning.

I'll be honest, I do more mowing these days with the 7ft rear finish mower on my 870, then I do with the Kubota. Back when I had the Deere 797 ZTR, and 6ft deck, that was my primary mower, but since I've changed direction, the Kubota is more of a secondary mower, doing the trim work and what not.

I do like the tires tho. No regerts.

Administrator

Administrator
Here鈥檚 the issue I鈥檝e been dealing with.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

And yes, they are both at the same pressure, 12psi. It鈥檚 not as bad as it looks, but it does affect full speed trim.

As I run my hands over the tread, they are as slick as @MDrew selling bridges to folks in Alabama. All the edges are rounded off. Strangely as smooth as they feel, I can still skid and mess up the lawn.

I鈥檓 not so terribly worried about my yard, all whatever grows weeds included, but my neighbors who have a nice place. I鈥檝e mowed their yard for almost 10 years now. I don鈥檛 want to mess it up and I need some hill holding power. When the tires were new, I was doing well on the hills. Conditions have to be just right and I can still mow my front ditch even with these slicks.

I鈥檓 hoping the Field Trax will be what I need them to be. If all lines up, I鈥檒l have them swapped tomorrow.

Updates to follow鈥.

Premium Member
I鈥檓 hoping the Field Trax will be what I need them to be. If all lines up, I鈥檒l have them swapped tomorrow.
I've seen your front ditch.

You will like the Versa's. Just do that three point turn like you taught me. Keep'em all rolling and they work great.

Registered
The field trax are nice. Good in the snow. :ROFLMAO: I have them on my 318. My buddy liked them so much I had to throw a pair in his yard one day. I bought a row of tires at a JD plant auction.

The guys on the Alabama bridges, love them in the snow, just love 'em.

Registered
Seriously, those tires work well, grass or snow. Eventually, all but 2 of my GTs will have them.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts