Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I installed Versa Turfs and found that the fronts were maybe an inch larger in diameter than the stock tires and wouldn't fit under the fenders very well. I ended up adding an 1 1/4" splice to the top fender bracket on both sides to give it plenty of space.

For both of the bottom brackets, I just kind of bent those up and eyeballed it. I always thought the fenders were too close on the stock tires anyway.

It could be my imagination, but the tractor feels and looks a little bigger after putting these tires on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to the info I looked up a while ago, the Versa Turfs should be 0.7 inches larger diameter on the front and 0.4 inches larger diameter on the back compared to the stock tires. I really do like the looks of them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Will the tires being slightly taller diameter than the HDAP OE tires cause any axle front to rear problems? Axle wind up....?
Especially if the tire diameters front to rear are different IE rears..07"...fronts .04" different than stock size tires?
I would consider purchasing these VT's as long as there would be no axle wind up at all.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
196 Posts
With the tires being larger I assume that means you need to fully redo the leveling of the deck then so it is accurate? Really like these tires so curious to know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For MFWD tractors I once came across a calculation to check to see if tire sizes were acceptable. I can't remember where I found it, but I saved it to my computer. The calculation is 1-(rear static loaded radius/(front static loaded radius/MFWD ratio)). This calculation checks the overrun on the tires. What I saved says the result of that calculation needs to be within 0.01 and 0.05 to be acceptable.

The MFWD ratio is specific to the tractor, and the download I have lists them all for the Deere compacts. The things I don't know for sure:

1. I only have the published diameter of the tire, not a true static loaded radius that would account for tire squat. I can find that for the larger tires, but not for these small tires.

2. I do not know the true MFWD ratio for the X7 series machines.

3. I don't know if there is any real difference in doing the calculation between a true MFWD system and a hydraulically driven system. I would think not, you've just substituted a hydraulic line for the driveshaft.

But I can make a guess using the published diameters for the tires. For the MFWD ratio I have to assume it's something close to what a 1025r/1023e would be, since they use the same nominal tire dimensions and would want a similar amount of overrun, assuming the hydraulic setup doesn't change anything.

Using the published tire dimensions and the 1025r/1023e MFWD factor I come up with 0.015 for the HDAP tires and 0.034 for the Versa Turfs. So it appears you could swap HDAP's onto the 1025r/1023e machines, which I know people have done. Can you make the swap onto an X7? I'll let you decide. I wish I knew the MFWD ratio and the static loaded radius for sure, it might be in the service manual. I'm expecting delivery of a new X758 in the next week and am trying to make that decision.

The thing to remember is the loaded radius is impacted by a lot of things, like the amount of load on the tractor, and tire pressure. It's not hard to change the static radius of these tires by 0.25 inches by just messing with the tire pressure a little, or putting tiller on the back. So in the end, is the small published difference in tire diameter a big deal in real world conditions?

Would you need to re-level the deck? Yeah probably if you want a really nice cut. But you should do that if you change your tire pressure too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good information to know. Actually didn't even think of needing to redo it when I increased the pressure of the fronts now that I have a 45 loader on it.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Will the tires being slightly taller diameter than the HDAP OE tires cause any axle front to rear problems? Axle wind up....?
Especially if the tire diameters front to rear are different IE rears..07"...fronts .04" different than stock size tires?
I would consider purchasing these VT's as long as there would be no axle wind up at all.
This might be a none issue for those with the Hydraulic all wheel drive on their tractors. There is no mechanical link between the front and rear axel so each axel is free to rotate at the speed it needs to. Same goes for the front two steering wheels. They don't have a shaft connection. Each front wheel has its own independent hydraulic motor.

The tires do look sharp, if I ever manage to wear down my HDAPS I might consider those.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I'll be curious how these track and affect the turf in moist conditions. I find the HDAPs to be one of the most unique tire offerings for any machine I've ever dealt with, actually really happy with those but am always curious as to anything in the realm of 700 series variants.

Definitely appears that this would also play a role in the setting height of the mower deck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts