Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know if it will be this, or something like this, but this is the start of my stack. I plan to come out on the side through the existing air slots (cut out the middle piece between the 2 slots?). I'm not sure if being attached only to the existing muffler is good enough or if I should run some bracing (either from the OEM pipe support mount or run something from the front bumper or what).

Let me know what you think!

20170412_154113.jpg

20170412_154128.jpg

No idea why the pictures are weird, sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I find the pictures do this if i take them with my phone. If i use my IPAD they are fine. I have taken phone pictures and eddited them with my IPAD and that seems to straighten them out. The stack looks great good luck

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,498 Posts
ssjfyr,

I rotated the photos for you.

Nice job on the stack. :thumbup1gif: You gonna get it chromed?

20170412_154128.jpg

20170412_154113.jpg

The first time is free, but orienting photos come at a cost. Do you have a PayPal account, to send you payment the next time? :laugh:
:lolol:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for fixing them flyweight! I don't have a paypal account unfortunately, but I'll be sure to give you a discount once I start mass producing these bad boys, lol!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and no plans to chrome it, I think black might look more bad ass, lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You definitely want to brace that. It's a long arm (lots of leverage) and the engine vibrates the whole time it's running.

Put a bracket to something solid and add some rubber between the connections so it doesn't get stressed from thermal expansion/contraction.

Having said that - I'm not sure why you want a vertical stack? The horizontal (low discharge) exhaust pipe on my tractor was like a $300 option (I bought it used with it installed already). I much prefer not looking at a stack in front of me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
So I don't know if it will be this, or something like this, but this is the start of my stack. I plan to come out on the side through the existing air slots (cut out the middle piece between the 2 slots?). I'm not sure if being attached only to the existing muffler is good enough or if I should run some bracing (either from the OEM pipe support mount or run something from the front bumper or what).

Let me know what you think!

View attachment 345370

View attachment 345378

No idea why the pictures are weird, sorry.
Love it.. keep going!

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Beware of low trees.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You definitely want to brace that. It's a long arm (lots of leverage) and the engine vibrates the whole time it's running.

Put a bracket to something solid and add some rubber between the connections so it doesn't get stressed from thermal expansion/contraction.

Having said that - I'm not sure why you want a vertical stack? The horizontal (low discharge) exhaust pipe on my tractor was like a $300 option (I bought it used with it installed already). I much prefer not looking at a stack in front of me.
The main reason is because for some reason I find the fumes overwhelming. I tried the plumbing pipe mod and it did improve it somewhat. If the stack isn't much better then I'll probably just leave the plumbing mod on and not cut up my side panel. I'm curious to see how looks all finished though, might be kind of cool ;). I agree about not wanting to look at a stack but actually my first impressions are that it actually doesn't bother me too much, but I'll have to see.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
You know, if you bring the stack out just above the side panel you could hide most of the cut needed to remove the side panel, and only need to cut the hood the size for the pipe, and the hood would open normally. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
:bigthumb: my vote is for the stack--go for it. u can start a new club called #onestackclub:lolol:

:hide: if the #nochainclub can be a club-why not a #one stack club :lol:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know, if you bring the stack out just above the side panel you could hide most of the cut needed to remove the side panel, and only need to cut the hood the size for the pipe, and the hood would open normally. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I like that idea but I'll have to see if the coolant reservoir is in the way.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make sure there's a low spot prior to the muffler canister body, then drill a 1/8" hole at the lowest point. It's not enough to cause a problem and lets any moisture drain.
Yep, a definite possibility, but I just have to see if there is enough room to make all the bends I would need without having to go too far out the side (due to needing a large radius for the bends) since as you can see even the first one isn't too great right off the muffler. Maybe a motorcycle shop could do some exhaust work with tighter bends?

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
474 Posts
If it is to get rid of the fumes did you look at a low run out the back of the tractor?

I've had tractors with the stack and looking at it was the least of the problems. Mowing under trees and brush was the biggest problem. If there is a limb you can almost guarantee it is 1/2" lower than the height of the stack.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Are you sure you want to take this first step? Next thing, you'll fall victim to the urge to roll coal.:cowboy:

coal.jpg

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it is to get rid of the fumes did you look at a low run out the back of the tractor?

I've had tractors with the stack and looking at it was the least of the problems. Mowing under trees and brush was the biggest problem. If there is a limb you can almost guarantee it is 1/2" lower than the height of the stack.
Ya, I thought of that, but then I would get hammered when using the backhoe. It's always something, lol!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts