Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks; been a while since I last posted -

Coming up on season 3 with my 1025R and 60D 7 iron deck and thinking I am getting a little tired of it taking me nearly 5 hours to mow these 5 acres because I have to go so slow due to the bumps (not to mention the back pain). Its great to have the seat with springs, but the little tractor gets thrown around too much.

So I am wondering if I can't make this property better with what I have. I have the 1025R TLB with 60D 7iron , the 2048 BB, the H120R loader, and the Frontier RT1149 tiller (and the 260 Backhoe, but don't know how that would help level things).

I love this tractor - and I have a feeling it would make short work of this field if I knew what I was doing. I read all kinds of solutions on this elsewhere from just using the BB, to using the tiller and the BB, to driving backwards with the bucket down on float.

Before I go out and experiment and potentially make a big mess, I thought I'd check with the pros to see if anyone else has had experience in this area. I don't care if I ruin the grass as long as it will come back. It doesn't have to be super pretty, just has to be less bumpy.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help. Also, if the answer is get a bigger tractor, well, if I must I must. Just don't twist my arm too much.
-Ed

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Perhaps pictures would help.....first thought is a land plane to redo lawn

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
:dunno:been thinking about ur post some. why couldn't u do say a small block of area at a time. me-i would till it, then use the box blade to level, use an old set of box springs to drag it-then throw grass seed down, mulch it-water and wait.
once that grass go started-start all over then again. might take 2 summers-but it would be smooth then.:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
If you want to do it with what you have...till it. You'd get some great seat time. If you had a disc then you could disc it after you got it tilled to tighten the ground back up and smooth out everything. Bigger tractor won't help on the bumps just because it's bigger but it will make the job go faster as far as tilling and disking or whatever you end up doing to make it smoother.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you want to think way outside the box, check with a construction company to bring in a big roller. You can somewhat regulate the impact by when they come in. Spring it may be a bit too soft and the tail end of summer may be a bit hard depending on rain. The good side is that it is done in one day. Down side is it will cost a few hundred dollars.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
A lot of my options would include purchasing something. I have a cultiplacker that works amazingly well for smoothing out rough ground. When the ground is a touch soft I will pull it around and it really does great at getting things smoother. A roller would give close to same results. I'm not a fan of tilling lawns/pastures due to making the soil way to soft/loose. I have found things will settle in time to become dang near just as rough as what you started with unless you roll/pack the ground after tilling it up. A disk would work nicely. A disk and a pulverizer works extremely well. There are a lot of options with purchasing implements to help but it could get costly rather quickly in buying implements that you probably wouldn't use after fixing your ground.

Purchasing a larger tractor with larger tires will certainly help IMO.

The option I would go with being that you stated you really like your tractor...... DITCH THE R4's! I don't see you mentioning what tires you have on your tractor but any time I read or hear someone mention being beat around on their tractor the first thing I think of is "stupid R4's". If those are the tires you have on your tractor I would strongly suggest switching to turfs, IMO the R4's are way to rigid and robs you of the "tractor joy" when using that tractor on rougher ground.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
5 acres is an enormous area, when you only have 26" tall tires,,

My nephew and I were hired to change a 5 acre field into a mowable front yard.
We took TWO tractors, both over 150HP,, and it still took a half day,,,

Do you have lots of time, or do you want it done before April 15TH,,, ?? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
5 acres is an enormous area, when you only have 26" tall tires,,

My nephew and I were hired to change a 5 acre field into a mowable front yard.
We took TWO tractors, both over 150HP,, and it still took a half day,,,

Do you have lots of time, or do you want it done before April 15TH,,, ?? :dunno:
What kind of ground did you start with? I am OFTEN hired to give people a lawn, turn crop ground into pasture, or rework pastures in the 3-10 acre range and never needed 2 150 horse tractors. We have them but there's no freaking way I'm going to drive them all over multiple counties to do the work when I am easily getting the work done with a 30-40 horse tractor and a 7' disk?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
What kind of ground did you start with? I am OFTEN hired to give people a lawn, turn crop ground into pasture, or rework pastures in the 3-10 acre range and never needed 2 150 horse tractors. We have them but there's no freaking way I'm going to drive them all over multiple counties to do the work when I am easily getting the work done with a 30-40 horse tractor and a 7' disk?
It was only 3 miles away,, and we had the equipment hooked up,,,
Actually, I doubt there was any small equipment that we could have used,, without doing some repairs,,

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Don’t let these guys convince you to buy the perfect equipment! :)

Just use what you have. As long as you have time, plenty of it, you can till the area and make it look great.

...and it will be fun.

If it absolutely must be done fast, then you’ll have to spend money, but you would be surprised how much you can till if you just get out there and go...and keep going.
I bet you can till it in a day.

Tim

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It was only 3 miles away,, and we had the equipment hooked up,,,
Actually, I doubt there was any small equipment that we could have used,, without doing some repairs,,
Ah gotcha, I assume since the OP has been mowing the 5 acres for quiet some time he has the biggest part of the battle won and could get his property in shape with less equipment/time than needed when starting with basically nothing

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

Just use what you have. As long as you have time, plenty of it, you can till the area and make it look great.

...and it will be fun.

If it absolutely must be done fast, then you’ll have to spend money, but you would be surprised how much you can till if you just get out there and go...and keep going.

Tim
I may be wrong but I assumed in Washington state 5 acres of loosely tilled ground and the amounts of rain they recieve would create one heck of a mess while waiting on a stand of grass to hold your soil in place.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I have done some of that at my place and the easiest thing I did was add compost and level that.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi folks; been a while since I last posted -

Coming up on season 3 with my 1025R and 60D 7 iron deck and thinking I am getting a little tired of it taking me nearly 5 hours to mow these 5 acres because I have to go so slow due to the bumps (not to mention the back pain). Its great to have the seat with springs, but the little tractor gets thrown around too much.

So I am wondering if I can't make this property better with what I have. I have the 1025R TLB with 60D 7iron , the 2048 BB, the H120R loader, and the Frontier RT1149 tiller (and the 260 Backhoe, but don't know how that would help level things).

I love this tractor - and I have a feeling it would make short work of this field if I knew what I was doing. I read all kinds of solutions on this elsewhere from just using the BB, to using the tiller and the BB, to driving backwards with the bucket down on float.

Before I go out and experiment and potentially make a big mess, I thought I'd check with the pros to see if anyone else has had experience in this area. I don't care if I ruin the grass as long as it will come back. It doesn't have to be super pretty, just has to be less bumpy.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help. Also, if the answer is get a bigger tractor, well, if I must I must. Just don't twist my arm too much.
-Ed
I am getting ready to do the same for a few acres I have that is just terrible to mow/brush hog. There are some good advise here. Something I have not seen mentioned that would help you tremendously. Are your tires loaded with fluid? Loading the tires and having a tire pressure of about 5 10 lbs will help you out so much you will not believe it. Now, with the tires loaded you will also be able to pull the BB better to level stuff off. I am going to use my BB and FEL to level the areas I need. I think with these fixes and a bit of time you should be able to get the area level enough to mow much quicker than before.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I may be wrong but I assumed in Washington state 5 acres of loosely tilled ground and the amounts of rain they recieve would create one heck of a mess while waiting on a stand of grass to hold your soil in place.
Good point, Shawn. Even more reason to avoid buying larger equipment. Don't do it all at the same time. maybe some this spring, some more this fall.

My point is, just because it takes a little longer is no reason to buy larger equipment for a single task.

I once plowed a 160 acre field with a 4 bottom 14 inch plow. I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 days, but I got it done. Early in the morning till late at night. Late May after school was out for summer. I was in middle school. Dad would drop me off first thing in the morning, pick me up for lunch, and repeat in the afternoon. Filling the gas tank on the old Oliver 1600 gasser with each visit.

He (and the rest of the family) were running the corn planter and other equipment in other fields. Once I was finished, they rolled in with the big equipment and planted it.

I plowed over 220 acres with that little rig that spring.

An experience I will never forget. ..but off topic for this thread, I guess. The point is ...determination and persistence will accomplish the goal, even if the equipment is not optimal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

...and it will be fun.

Tim
Thanks Tim, BigJim, Levi - everyone! I am not in a rush FYI -
Some great advice. I will try tilling/box blading some of the worst areas and see how that goes. I am somewhat afraid of wrecking my tiller since there are rocks out there in places, but then again, I haven't wrecked it yet on the garden areas (and managed to hit plenty of rocks there too). I will set the depth pretty shallow at first to be safe. As I said, I am not in a rush, just want to enjoy my rides out there, and getting bounced around is not really fun.

Here's a pic of the pasture. As you can see, a lot of work - but that's what I got the tractor for :bigthumb:
IMG_0234-resize.jpg

I would love to get a bigger tractor, but the biggest I could do/afford is probably the 2025/2032. I am sure the Deere dealer would find a way to make everything fit in my budget if I wanted to go that route. If I did that, I probably might as well buy a disc harrow or land plane? At least the land plane I could use on the 1/4 mile long gravel driveway too.
Thanks again all! You guys are great!
-Ed

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Good point, Shawn. Even more reason to avoid buying larger equipment. Don't do it all at the same time. maybe some this spring, some more this fall.

My point is, just because it takes a little longer is no reason to buy larger equipment for a single task.

I once plowed a 160 acre field with a 4 bottom 14 inch plow. I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 days, but I got it done. Early in the morning till late at night. Late May after school was out for summer. I was in middle school. Dad would drop me off first thing in the morning, pick me up for lunch, and repeat in the afternoon. Filling the gas tank on the old Oliver 1600 gasser with each visit.

He (and the rest of the family) were running the corn planter and other equipment in other fields. Once I was finished, they rolled in with the big equipment and planted it.

I plowed over 220 acres with that little rig that spring.

An experience I will never forget. ..but off topic for this thread, I guess. The point is ...determination and persistence will accomplish the goal, even if the equipment is not optimal.
I agree fully! I'm a fan of buying NOTHING though, I hate spending money on things unless I can foresee myself wearing it completely out or receiving an honest/true benefit from spending for it. I am really curious as to how rough the OP's property is.

I fully admit to being overly grumpy towards R4's, like you I have been on tractors my entire life. I have never been beat around on a tractor like I am the 3520 and its R4's. I may be wrong but I visualize the OP trying to mow grass and being jarred around while having all these thoughts of spending time/money smoothing out his ground when the easiest resolution is turf or HDAP tires to smooth out the ride. I am merely assuming though, the op may already have turf tread and the property is simply ROUGH.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are not wrong - doing this at the wrong time of year could create a big mess. I got stuck out there once because I sank. That was not the worst of it - I had to get my neighbor with his Kabota to pull me out. Talk about embarrassing...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts