Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not speaking green at the moment, just warranties in general.
They used to be an honest attempt to get an early failure up to spec to keep the perceived quality high.
Over time it seems quality has gone down overall. and even QC testing has been left to the victim, I mean customer.
The warranty process itself has changed. Small items need to be repackaged in original packaging and shipped both ways at customer expense, often with a handling charge. Many times the cost is more than the item itself. Sometimes you don't even get it back fixed but replaced with another that sorta worked after it was sent in for repair. Forget the watch engraving, it isn't on the replacement. Companies can crow about how great their warranties are but then they make the process almost impossible to follow and expensive to implement to drive folks off. And with all the competetors working to the same rule book, well you get the idea.

Personally, for the smaller things at least, I buy something with the idea that it will probably be trashed before long. I may try to fix it just out of habit, but I don't expect much. I don't even bother with warranty paperwork anymore. For the bigger things, like my green machine, I look forward to the fight. If you do it right, they might try to buy you off and hope you'll just go away.

·
Registered
185 Posts
To be fair my warranty is out as of last summer. But as mentioned, the unit only has 80.1 hours on it and is in perfect condition (well other than the transmission). When I called HQ they seemed to be willing to work with me. That is until I mentioned I had moved and would likely sell the mower due to a downsizing of my lawn. It seemed as soon as I said it the person I was talking to "awesome, now I have a reason to say I can't do anything." It was bizarre.
I retired from having a business many years, which is why "they seemed to be willing to work with me. That is until I mentioned..." is such a problem. I learned never engage in conversation.
Keep it simple. Say as few words as possible. Most warranties on anything are time/hours (mileage) related.
When it started acting up was before expiration date. All they need to know.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
When I bought my L(emon)-130 in 2005 (IIRC), I paid $2,500 for the thing at Long's Peak Equipment, now 4Rivers. When I bought a front blade for the X754 this year; the salesman and I were talking and he said they no longer sell Big Box Mart (BBM) grade mowers (D series) as they aren't worth the time and hassle.

The trouble is the X-300 is the entry level X series and as such it will have numerous compromises in it to get it to the $3,500 or whatever mark they are going for. The K46 tranny in the X300 is enough to make me want to spend more.

I only got 100 hours out of the L-130 over 9-years before I sold it to my gearhead neighbor with more patience wrenching on things than I have. A good friend of mine is still using a L-110(?) of the same vintage as the old L-130 I had. I suspect BBM lawn tractors durability depends on what day of the week they and their constituent components were made with Monday or Friday rigs being the most likely to puke early and often.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
It may be sacrilege but my brother has a X300 and a LA105. My dad has a $999 Ariens gear drive tractor from Home Depot that I bought for him about 7 years ago. In many ways that $999 Ariens is superior to both of the JD tractors. It's built almost exactly like the LA105 except it doesn't have as many plastic parts. :)

Regardless of the name and color, most of these low end tractors have near identical construction. They have similar single cylinder engines, same tires, gravity fed fuel systems, similar steering setup, bushings instead of bearings in the wheels, mechanical PTO clutch and one brand or the other sealed transaxle.
Even as you move up the product line you will see a lot the same other than the paint. Heck I have a Z950R. The same TuffTorq drives and Kawasaki engine that some other Commercial Zero Turns out there use. In that line the deck really is where there are differences besides the paint.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Did you check the hydrostatic release?
I asked the same thing earlier. What was the diagnosis. All he said was the dealer diagnosed it but didn't go into details. Sounds like the dealer started conversations with Deere so there must be something beyond a slipped drive belt or release. I was thinking the same things at first.

Though low hours, you think it would be fine but it also was moved long distance. How was it secured? Maybe hydro not released and it was moving back and forth all the way across the country in the move. Not trying to blame OP but there is a risk of something like that.

Like others mentioned, not picking sides just an outside observer.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I asked the same thing earlier. What was the diagnosis. All he said was the dealer diagnosed it but didn't go into details. Sounds like the dealer started conversations with Deere so there must be something beyond a slipped drive belt or release. I was thinking the same things at first.

Though low hours, you think it would be fine but it also was moved long distance. How was it secured? Maybe hydro not released and it was moving back and forth all the way across the country in the move. Not trying to blame OP but there is a risk of something like that.

Like others mentioned, not picking sides just an outside observer.
I had thoughts along the same lines regarding the moving of the tractor.
Worked before, didnt work after.

If the OP is interested in getting it repaired, it would be worth hearing the actual diagnosis by the dealer, if they even gave him one.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts