Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say that I actually thought that purchasing this tractor could be a great experience. It frustrates me to no end reading all these posts about the rough starting and smoking on this engine. My machine has 25 Hours!!!!!!! on it. When it was new it started with a nice dark grey puff and took off running. Ran smooth as silk, at the 17 hour mark it started to act like it was totally flooded on startup. Blowing a horrendous amount of whitish/blue smoke. Smelling like raw diesel and running like someone just pulled the power on 2 out of the 3 cylinders. this goes on for about 30- 45 seconds and then clears up. Restarts fine until it gets cold and does the same thing all over. I know, I have been hearing the same issues but nobody seems to have come on the sight and said They fixed it. Obviously there is something going on and JD can't act stupid and say they have never heard of it. Needless to say it goes to the dealer next week for the second time. The other time was what was acting like a stuck diff lock (no it was not in 4 wheel) actually pealing the sealer off my fresh sealed driveway, this was happening when I was backing out of garage after having emergency brake on. they could not duplicate this random problem so I was sent on my way. So in the nutshell I purchased a 20K tractor with implements and I have dealt with:

Sticking differential lock.
bad headlight switch
Horrendous starting

I want my 425 back!!!
Very discouraged and not looking forward to the future
I hate being without my equipment. And shouldn't have to this early in the game.
I am going on 60 and was hoping for a tractor that could make my life easier :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm sorry that you are experiencing some difficulties. I am not a mechanic but have read and learned a lot on this forum. You may have a fuel/fuel filter problem that can be corrected. So can the differential lock issue. There are plenty of people on this forum that can help you...but I also think your dealer should help as your tractor is so new. I think that proper dealer set up and follow up assistance go a long way in making ownership of any tractor an enjoyable experience. There are many owners here who are very pleased with this tractor, myself included. Hang in there! It will get better!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,080 Posts
screamineagle, As bob stated, it will get better. You also probably helped yourself a little just by posting up your thoughts. John Deere sees enough of these it has got to hit home sooner or later.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Is that all? Man, if you could have seen the DJ flatbed driver here at the house all summer.... He is now on my Christmas card list. :usa:flag_of_truce:

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
641 Posts
screamineagle, As bob stated, it will get better. You also probably helped yourself a little just by posting up your thoughts. John Deere sees enough of these it has got to hit home sooner or later.
What is sad is that anything even has to be done. :empathy: He bought a brand new tractor and has to go though anything is sad in my mind.

This is not just JD, but seems to apply to just about everything these days.

What gets me, is that in the tractor market in general that so much of this stuff seems to point back to the dealer and if they are competent or not. Seems like a lot of issues should be caught during dealer prep and simply are not because or various reasons. :(

·
Registered
967 Posts
What is sad is that anything even has to be done. :empathy: He bought a brand new tractor and has to go though anything is sad in my mind.

This is not just JD, but seems to apply to just about everything these days.

What gets me, is that in the tractor market in general that so much of this stuff seems to point back to the dealer and if they are competent or not. Seems like a lot of issues should be caught during dealer prep and simply are not because or various reasons. :(
Oh I agree about dealer prep! They caught one major with mine before delivery. The other issues developed or surfaced after the fact. Most were identified here on GTT. :greentractorride:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,080 Posts
MtnViewRanch, So true.
Currently I am in "difference of opinion" discussions with two different car Companies plus not happy with JD.
The only way I seem to get satisfaction is at the Company level and I've been to the Rodeo a few times.
I will be at a car dealership tomorrow morning having our car checked, a representative from the car Company set up the appointment. The representative called me this morning and said he will call me while I am there to make certain all is going well.

The other car Company and I are in total agreement as of yesterday.
Still working on the JD.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
MtnViewRanch, So true.
Currently I am in "difference of opinion" discussions with two different car Companies plus not happy with JD.
The only way I seem to get satisfaction is at the Company level and I've been to the Rodeo a few times.
I will be at a car dealership tomorrow morning having our car checked, a representative from the car Company set up the appointment. The representative called me this morning and said he will call me while I am there to make certain all is going well.

Still working on the JD.
Whats the scoop on the problems Giz? You can pm me if you dont want it public

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
MtnViewRanch, So true.

Still working on the JD.
It will be interesting to hear the outcome.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry that you are experiencing some difficulties. I am not a mechanic but have read and learned a lot on this forum. You may have a fuel/fuel filter problem that can be corrected. So can the differential lock issue. There are plenty of people on this forum that can help you...but I also think your dealer should help as your tractor is so new. I think that proper dealer set up and follow up assistance go a long way in making ownership of any tractor an enjoyable experience. There are many owners here who are very pleased with this tractor, myself included. Hang in there! It will get better!
The sad thing is, just before I purchased this tractor I was offered a killer deal on the Orange one. Thousands $$ less. My loyalty to the 7 John Deere's I have had won. Curious to see how this goes.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
Well lets see... I've owned a few new cars, trucks and tractors. If I remember correctly I had problems with all of them after I got them. But... I also got them fixed and was glad that I got them. My latest was my 1026R. It took a few visits to the dealer and being without it while they fixed it. I wouldn't trade it for anything else unless someone wanted to give me 2 for the price of 1. Just sayin... :empathy3:

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
641 Posts
Well lets see... I've owned a few new cars, trucks and tractors. If I remember correctly I had problems with all of them after I got them. But... I also got them fixed and was glad that I got them. My latest was my 1026R. It took a few visits to the dealer and being without it while they fixed it. I wouldn't trade it for anything else unless someone wanted to give me 2 for the price of 1. Just sayin... :empathy3:
No doubt, but problems from the very beginning??? Maybe I'm just lucky, I have not had problems with any tractors, cars, trucks in the first year that I have owned them. In the warranty time frame yes, but never from the start.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
You know what really sucks is you had a good tractor, but traded up to the 1025R, and now you have troubles. I completely understand, because 18 months ago I bought a 1023E, and I really loved that machine, and had not one single problem with it in 80 hours. I traded up to the 1025R FILB, and I've already had part of the swivel seat break, and already am seeing the smoking bit when I start it. I'll be really disappointed if this starting thing gets worse over time (only have 8 hours on the machine right now).

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
No doubt, but problems from the very beginning??? Maybe I'm just lucky, I have not had problems with any tractors, cars, trucks in the first year that I have owned them. In the warranty time frame yes, but never from the start.
It's unfortunate, but it does happen. I've gone out on calls for equipment with under 10 hours on it several times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the starting issue ,other then that it's been awesome! I think alot issues is dealer related. My dealer delivered mine with bolts loose on the arms that hold the loader .The nuts were ready to come off. When I went & asked about start up , they told me the all do it. They told me to run sea foam in it. I bought it not knowing any better ,guys on here advised against it,So Iam not going to use it. I ordered some john deere fuel conditioner ,dealer dosent carry it. If I ever buy another I wont go back to that dealer .They were very rude ,you would of thought I stole the tractor from them ,the way way I was treated . Good luck ! I hope everything works out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've got 15 hours on my 1025r and have had about the same list of gripes.

- Dealer dropped it off with no fuel.
- Snow blower has rust all over it already
- Second day I had it it started blowing a fuse and would start. Dealer had screwed up adding the aux work light and something was shorting.
- Tore up my yard horribly. Thanks to the forums here I figured out the diff was stuck on. Dealer said a stick was stuck in the linkage, but they would have had to deliver it with that stick.
- Bad light switch.
- And now mine is also smoking a bit.

Reading that list a bit seems like half of my problems might have been solved it I went with the other dealer in my area. Of course that leads me down the road of inconsistent pricing between dealers...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have had the hyd fill cap recall, had a problem with the SVC shifter. Most recently, 4 weeks ago the hyd pump started making noise. Found out that the pump and the 3pt hitch piston was so rusted both had to be replaced. Just last week, the 3pt hitch would not raise my posthole digger far enough to get it of the ground and the whole seat almost fell off the tractor due to bolts not being put back in seat and the 3pt hitch needing adjusted after they repalced it. Yep it was excessive and should have been caught. My next purchase in a year or so will be GREEN and at the SAME dealer. I have had three SCUTS from JD prior to this one. Everyone had to have something done to them. My dealer and eventually JD fixed the problems under warranty. But my airbag didn't blow up in my face, killing me or injure me beyond being able to work, my brakes have always worked when I needed them and my tires always wear evenly from the circles I put on them when mowing the lawn. Is it acceptable? NO! But I think even if you went orange you may have saved some money, but I would bet that savings, you would have some issues with that one also. It seems to be a trend in the service industry and large manufacturers trying to keep up to the joneses. I may nag on the orange counter parts, but they are all in the same boat. Different strokes for different folks.:munch:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have had the hyd fill cap recall, had a problem with the SVC shifter. Most recently, 4 weeks ago the hyd pump started making noise. Found out that the pump and the 3pt hitch piston was so rusted both had to be replaced. Just last week, the 3pt hitch would not raise my posthole digger far enough to get it of the ground and the whole seat almost fell off the tractor due to bolts not being put back in seat and the 3pt hitch needing adjusted after they repalced it. Yep it was excessive and should have been caught. My next purchase in a year or so will be GREEN and at the SAME dealer. I have had three SCUTS from JD prior to this one. Everyone had to have something done to them. My dealer and eventually JD fixed the problems under warranty. But my airbag didn't blow up in my face, killing me or injure me beyond being able to work, my brakes have always worked when I needed them and my tires always wear evenly from the circles I put on them when mowing the lawn. Is it acceptable? NO! But I think even if you went orange you may have saved some money, but I would bet that savings, you would have some issues with that one also. It seems to be a trend in the service industry and large manufacturers trying to keep up to the joneses. I may nag on the orange counter parts, but they are all in the same boat. Different strokes for different folks.:munch:
26R's have an airbag? Really?:lol:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
As someone new to anything diesel, I honestly thought/think that the smoke at start up was normal.. Is it not?.. Maybe I'm wrong?.. I've you tubed diesel tractors starting etc and in colder weather it always appears to be a crazy smoke show with all kinds of coughing and sputtering for a few moments.. I bought my 1023 in april and it has 32hrs on it now.. In the summer, I'd always get a little puff when it started from cold and as expected, as it's gotten colder I get more smoke.. It shakes and shimmy's and blows white smoke for 5 or 10 seconds then pretty well smooth's right out.. With the exception of a few guys who seem to have a legit running condition I honestly think its normal.. yes - no?..

1 - 20 of 158 Posts