Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,046 Posts
Most probably know about this but I didn't until about a year ago.

Thanks,, seen that a few months ago. Used a strap the other day and was going to try this ,,could not remember how or what he had done.

Maybe this time. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Ah ha... good tip! My straps are stored in a plastic bin, generally tangled up, even though I roll em up neatly when I put em away. I’ll give this method a try for sure.

Another ratchet strap trick: Putting lawn tractor tire back on rim using ratchet strap - YouTube

I first used it on my wheel barrow, and also on my lawn tractor. Both had slow leaks. It works like a champ. I felt like McGyver

·
Premium Member
13,829 Posts
I like that Keith thanks for sharing this. This guy has some nice chainsaw videos as well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,, seen that a few months ago. Used a strap the other day and was going to try this ,,could not remember how or what he had done.

Maybe this time. :dunno:
:lol:
I posted this cause I too saw this a long time ago and also forgot and had to look it up. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Great video, what is the best method of securing the tail of the strap once you have tightened the strap, in order to stop the tail end from flopping around?

Reactions: rtgt and Gizmo2

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great video, what is the best method of securing the tail of the strap once you have tightened the strap, in order to stop the tail end from flopping around?
I usually used 2 half hitches to tie the tail.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
What size did you choose?
The 2" wide 10k rated. I strap down telcom cabinets and other large items on my flatbed gooseneck trailer all the time. These make strapping down "stuff" a one man operation and I don't have to tie up the loose ends. Great simple idea that I wish I came up with.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
x3

:lol:
I posted this cause I too saw this a long time ago and also forgot and had to look it up. :banghead:
Yeah, me too. I've done it a few times and then forget and muck it up.

Maybe it will stick with me this time. I watched it twice. . . A few more times and I might remember to get it right.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
599 Posts
Neat idea. I keep my ratchet and cam lock straps rolled up and in zip lock bags. A pain to roll and unroll but at least they stay tidy in the bags. I'll give this a try. The QuickLoaders look interesting too. Still, I don't do a lot of strapping.

I keep a lot of things in the zip lock bags. The hard part is finding things again.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Ah ha... good tip! My straps are stored in a plastic bin, generally tangled up, even though I roll em up neatly when I put em away. I’ll give this method a try for sure.

Another ratchet strap trick: Putting lawn tractor tire back on rim using ratchet strap - YouTube

I first used it on my wheel barrow, and also on my lawn tractor. Both had slow leaks. It works like a champ. I felt like McGyver
Major word of caution here. Dont try this on anything large.

I say this because currently one of our guys at work is nursing a broken thumb and wrist as he was helping someone do this same exact thing on a mini payloader tire. (happened about 2 weeks ago)
Everything went well until he went to release the strap and it snapped back like a mousetrap. Thankfully for him its just a couple broken bones and a little blood where the handle hit his thumb and he will only be out of work a couple of months.

·
Registered
937 Posts

I say this because currently one of our guys at work is nursing a broken thumb and wrist as he was helping someone do this same exact thing on a mini payloader tire. (happened about 2 weeks ago)
Everything went well until he went to release the strap and it snapped back like a mousetrap. Thankfully for him its just a couple broken bones and a little blood where the handle hit his thumb and he will only be out of work a couple of months.
Yep. I would never use a strap to inflate a tire. Think of all the pressure exerted on the strap after the tire inflates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

I have witnessed this with my Nephew...Felt like sh&t as this was my Idea.

Not to the extreme of the above poster but it left a nasty gash that should have been stitched.

A knife is the only way to releave the pressure in this situation..Keep your Digits clear of the whole Ratchette mechanizum...

What works better or not and is Equally as dangerous...

a rope...a stick or screwdriver.

Wrap rope around center of tire..leave slack. Put in your choice of item to twist rope and take up slack.

With rachet strap..its under extreame load to release......and ratchet unit dose not conform too small tires as well.

Alternate method while still ..clearly unsafe but dose work.....slightly easier to control release or let it go and hope for the best....Or bust out the starter fluid and go that route.

Be carefull people...its the simple stuff that usually bites.:munch:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Use a chain and a ratchet binder for big tires. We used to use that method on bobcat tires. Now I just go to LS tire shop. I have used a ratchet strap as a come along to stretch wire fence because I was too cheap to go buy a come along for one job. Heck, the spreader with 3 hooks on it was 40 bucks so I just used a piece of rebar and a ratchet strap hooked to my pickup hitch. Worked wonderful and saved me a hundred bucks at Lowe’s I bought grass seed with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I have witnessed this with my Nephew...Felt like sh&t as this was my Idea.

Not to the extreme of the above poster but it left a nasty gash that should have been stitched.

A knife is the only way to releave the pressure in this situation..Keep your Digits clear of the whole Ratchette mechanizum...

What works better or not and is Equally as dangerous...

a rope...a stick or screwdriver.

Wrap rope around center of tire..leave slack. Put in your choice of item to twist rope and take up slack.

With rachet strap..its under extreame load to release......and ratchet unit dose not conform too small tires as well.

Alternate method while still ..clearly unsafe but dose work.....slightly easier to control release or let it go and hope for the best....Or bust out the starter fluid and go that route.

Be carefull people...its the simple stuff that usually bites.:munch:

Good advice guys. Each time I used the ratchet method, I let the air back out of the tire, before releasing the ratchet. The bead got set, which was the goal. Then I filled with the green slime sealant so as to avoid the issue a second time. Given the warnings here, I may go back to the stick and rope method. Thanks for the heads-up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts