Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm going "green"! It actually still "works" if that's what you'd call it.

How old is something like this? It's all cast iron, no visible markings, all square-head bolts. My inlaws had this sitting around for decades and gave it to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I also have one, but it has wood handles. I have not seen that old that was all metal. I know they are a lot older than I am. I started using one as a kid, as soon as I able to push it. They work great in soft soil.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried it my garden and had to admit that someone, a long time ago, put some thought into the geometry of this thing, it did work! Now if all 3 of my tillers were broken, and I was desperate...maybe I'd be out there pushing like old Jebediah on the homestead.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Long time ago

We used to use those to open rows to plant in my grandfather's garden. It actually worked pretty well and as a kid, it worked me too!

Treefarmer

·
Registered
12,636 Posts

How old is something like this? It's all cast iron, no visible markings, all square-head bolts. My inlaws had this sitting around for decades and gave it to me.
:dunno:first one i have ever seen without the wooden handles from the axle to the hand hold. i say it might be from the turn of the century:unknown:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,794 Posts

AJgrn78, That's a nice vintage cultivator. :thumbup1gif: I don't know the age, but it's decades older than the one below. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
15,050 Posts
Guessing that one is older than my FIL with wooden handles. Believe that is a keeper.
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

I don't know how old it is but it makes my back hurt just looking at it. lol

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AJgrn78, That's a nice vintage cultivator. :thumbup1gif: I don't know the age, but it's decades older than the one below. :laugh:

That is fantastic....:lol:

Missed opportunity though...I would have left the sprocket on the wheel and run something off the chain...like a seeder!

:think:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts