Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal? It sounds/feels like a grinding sensation.
But it mulched really well, my grass had gotten tall with all the rain we've had and I couldn't see the grass for the clippings.
So I went to the JD dealer and picked up the kit. Cussed whoever put those crappy illustrations in the instruction manual, and then ran over the yard.
Apart from the vibration, I love the kit.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
It sounds like a blade isn't mounted correctly or you've got a clump of grass/debris stuck on 1 blade. Another possibility is that 1 or more blades aren't balanced. Look underneath deck to verify blades are mounted correctly. These sometimes sit on top of the register diameter rather than around it! Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was surprised that there is no pin or device that would prevent the blade from spinning on the spindle.
I guess I will have to pull the deck back out and check.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
There's a pintle on the bottom of your spindles that the blades fit around. The blades can be mounted incorrectly and sit on top of the pintle. Also, there is a cup shaped washer on the blade bolt and this MUST be placed with the cup resting on the blade. If you're familiar with the term, it's called a "Belleville Washer". If you see a space between the OD of the washer and the blade, washer is upside down! Check things out and report back here. Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the washers are correct, I never pulled the bolts out of them when I changed blades.
I looked in the discharge chute and the blade tips were even.
The only thing I didn't look at was if somehow I got the belt twisted, I struggled getting it back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.