Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have this new(er) HD Panasonic video camera, and we have no really good way to edit the video's. The software that came with the camera is crap.

So I need suggestions please, easy to use and cheap are the main criteria.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well, I can't say it's real cheap, but it isn't real expensive, Adobe Premiere Elements 10. If you buy it at Best Buy it comes with the latest version of Photoshop, which I really like. At work we have the Pro version of Elements, and the home version is pretty powerful. The Pro version adds some extra timeline features that I noticed, but otherwise everything I see them do at work I can do at home with PE10. I'm sure the Pro version has a bunch of extra formats you can save in or settings you can tweak.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I use Pinnacle, I think it was around 100 bucks and it's pretty easy to use.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I've used Apple's final cut express and Pinnacle. I think I liked Pinnacle better. They both have an absurdly steep learning curve. I keep the raw video from my Panasonic Lumix around and play it with the VLC viewer. I have to convert it to another format to edit it with Final Cut Express, and have a lot of trouble keeping it all HD. Apple used to be "da bomb" in video editing, but they are really ignoring HD and there is no native Blue Ray support. So by the time you kludge something together, it might be time to go to the PC dark side just to edit.

I'm at that decision point myself, since I have some videos I need to edit...

Pete

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
82 Posts
For lots of capability and low price, grab a used 8-core 2.8 GHz mac pro off ebay for about $500, then pick up Final Cut Studio 2 on ebay for around $100. That's what I use. It's what the TV studios and movie studios have used for years and it's cheap. Yea, there's a learning curve. But good luck looking for any missing features besides burning blu-ray disks.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
For lots of capability and low price, grab a used 8-core 2.8 GHz mac pro off ebay for about $500, then pick up Final Cut Studio 2 on ebay for around $100. That's what I use. It's what the TV studios and movie studios have used for years and it's cheap. Yea, there's a learning curve. But good luck looking for any missing features besides burning blu-ray disks.
If you are looking to do basic transitions, CG and audio iMovie works well as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts