Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Ill admit it.
There I was horsing another pto coupling on the tractor shaft when... the pto hood... started to... move! upwards. YUP, turns out those arent just mounting bolts at the top of that shroud, they're pivots, with bumper feet at the bottom of the it. so I figure I can:

1.plead insanity (stoopidity?) or
2. swear I read the manual, and it wasn't in there (I did and I sure didnt see it).

anyways, flinging that thing upwards against the casting sure opens up the real estate!!:oops:

·
Premium Member
13,614 Posts
OK, Ill admit it.
There I was horsing another pto coupling on the tractor shaft when... the pto hood... started to... move! upwards. YUP, turns out those arent just mounting bolts at the top of that shroud, they're pivots, with bumper feet at the bottom of the it. so I figure I can:

2. swear I read the manual, and it wasn't in there (I did and I sure didnt see it).

anyways, flinging that thing upwards against the casting sure opens up the real estate!!:oops:
I’m not totally understanding you, the hood is made to flip up when coupling and uncoupling. You flip it up to give yourself more room and then put it back down when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,845 Posts
That’s exactly what he’s saying. Only he accidentally discovered the fact during installing or removal of a PTO shaft. :good2:

·
Premium Member
13,614 Posts
I just checked my manual, so I’m going with option 2 as well, doesn’t specifically say anything about the pto shroud.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I never got a manual for my new 1026r and last week I happened to flip up the pto hood and said WOW that's cool
so don't feel bad

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Too funny !!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
913 Posts
OK, Ill admit it.

Youi're part of a less exclusive club than you may think. Hell, I'm a member, too!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
We've all been in a situation or two only to realize there was a better way.
I didn't realize that the little spinny yellow knob under the seat adjusted the seat suspension sensitivity until a couple years ago when i read the manual...:laugh:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Same boat. I just kept looking at it thinking there HAS to be an easier way!:banghead: I finally figured it out after about an hour.

·
Premium Member
13,614 Posts
4 months and around 75 hours before I realized the armrests were adjustable much more comfortable after discovering that bolt

·
Registered
464 Posts
Same boat. I just kept looking at it thinking there HAS to be an easier way!:banghead: I finally figured it out after about an hour.
Same here. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
OK, Ill admit it.

That is really easy to miss, if I hadn't bumped it when I was doing the first hydro oil change, I wouldn't have known it...Congrats your normal.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I still don't know what you're talking about with the pto hood. Pictures, anyone?

So on the back of your tractor there is a three side shroud over the PTO output shaft coming from the transaxle. It flips up to give you more access to the PTO shaft while you are hooking up the PTO shaft for whatever attachment you are using. New tractors have a flip up shroud. Older ones like my JD 400 Garden Tractor do not and thus have acquired some patina and various names which cannot be repeated.

Don't feel bad that you didn't know, they don't exactly make those things easy to move. I am sure everyone has some feature on their tractor that they didn't know about. Most of us figure out what we need to know to operate the tractor but don't necessarily crawl around, over or under it to "really" get to know it. That comes with time and the necessity to know. If we do not have a need then we may never know. For example, I never knew how my post hole digger auger bits were attached/designed until I had to buy a different size. Then I became very familiar with it. I am still trying to figure out the most efficient way to hook it up. Some days go faster than others with that task. This weekend was not one of those fast days.

·
Administrator
18,266 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Don't feel bad, I was at a customers house, I connected their tiller, flipped up the PTO cover and they were like....WHOAA, mind blown! Said "we always struggle trying to connect the PTO". And if your covers are too tight, two 13mm wrenches and you can loosen them a bit.

·
Registered
481 Posts
OK, I'm guessin the reason I don't have a PTO cover is because of the age of my tractor (4100 from around 2001)? Or was it removed by the previous owner? I'm Jelly-ous. I want one. :cry:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts