Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone paint/dye seat cushions yellow and have it last?

Have seen some links on the web where they change regular chairs and it work, but nothing on long term.

Reason for the question, have a 5425 and it needs a new seat. Grammer makes the seat for JD but does not sell yellow direct. JD wants $400 for the cushions or almost $1300 for the seat. Can buy a new DS44 from Grammer for $150

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Back in the 80’s I did use a black vinyl spray on brown Jeep CJ seats. If I remember correctly it worked but did wear off in spots. I don’t know if they have improved it but it is paint on a soft surface so no matter what it wouldn’t be foolproof.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guy on a boating forum has used it and has been 2 years and still good, but don't know if its a high use area or not. I would be going from Black to Yellow, so big change.

Was looking just a bit ago and noticed a new model seat cost less (still high at $725) then the old style. Must be the cost to have Grammer make one special

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Anyone paint/dye seat cushions yellow and have it last?

Have seen some links on the web where they change regular chairs and it work, but nothing on long term.

Reason for the question, have a 5425 and it needs a new seat. Grammer makes the seat for JD but does not sell yellow direct. JD wants $400 for the cushions or almost $1300 for the seat. Can buy a new DS44 from Grammer for $150
For that much difference I wouldn't care what color it was.:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I don't think it will last very long! Way back in the 70's, I painted my pickup dash and door panels with vinyl paint. Looked okay for a couple years, then it peeled. Good prep too!:unknown: Just not a very good alternative.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used the duplicolor vinyl spray to change some red seats to black back in the 80s. It held up as good as any yellow jd seat I've seen. Probably better.

I bought a new OEM yellow seat for an 855 and couldn't keep the damn thing clean. Wish I would have gone with the original black version but jd offered it in either color and I was doing a repaint on the tractor.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
This may sound dumb but what about a JD seat cover! I have my JD seat covered and it's yellow... No one will ever know it's black underneath and a heck of a lot less expensive.. No?:dunno: I know, shut up and go back to work!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This may sound dumb but what about a JD seat cover! I have my JD seat covered and it's yellow... No one will ever know it's black underneath and a heck of a lot less expensive.. No?:dunno: I know, shut up and go back to work!
That's a very good idea, and might do that. Just gets me what some folks with JD's are will to spend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts