Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visit a German John Deere Compact Tractor Dealer (2036R, 1026R, 3045R, & attachments)

We were fascinated by the differences between European Deere Tractors and US Deere Tractors.
Attachments were different as well. Check it out:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I did watch it (and liked it, naturally) but I have to say.....while it seemed like an innovative hitch design, I just didn't care for the ball type they were using.

Pretty amazing though about the hood opening system, where they made a law that requires a tool of some sort to open the hood.

Now, if we could only get those comfy seats here in the US !!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Oh i want those 3pt arms and top link.

·
Administrator
18,521 Posts
Wow, we need a Matev USA division!

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
John Deere has had the ball type system for many years...started with the old two cylinders however it worked the other direction. It is more for agricultural maybe industrial...not sure if homeowners would benefit...suppose could be some liability issues....but looks likes Europeans see plastic edges and fenders as a safety issue. I would say front end attachments aren't for the average homeowner..especially inexperienced. Would be a definite dragging down a bank possible roll over situation if no used with proper ballast. From viewing the video wasn't really impressed with the European approach but I suppose they have a reason for their ways the same as us. Tim really does an indept interview and appreciate his informative approach.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Lift arm connection

What goes around, comes around. Those quick snap connections were available on our Olivers 50 years ago. They worked great and I miss them.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
900 Posts
What goes around, comes around. Those quick snap connections were available on our Olivers 50 years ago. They worked great and I miss them.

Treefarmer
I've found all the parts for a weld on setup, imported from a vendor in the UK. Problem is the $450ish it costs, just for the parts and shipping. Then paying someone to weld them, as I don't think I'd trust myself, with my small Hobart MIG.

My neighbors big Case IH's have those on the lower lift arms.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Treefarmer
Yes, our Olivers all had the open 3 point connections too. They were a bit different...the 'thumb' was longer. We broke a few of the thumbs over the years, but overall, we loved them. Family still has the 1950-T, and my cousin has and still uses the 1600 I first learned to drive.

Tim

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

Yes, our Olivers all had the open 3 point connections too. They were a bit different...the 'thumb' was longer. We broke a few of the thumbs over the years, but overall, we loved them. Family still has the 1950-T, and my cousin has and still uses the 1600 I first learned to drive.

Tim
I still really like the old Olivers. They looked great, had good power and were fun to drive. As I recall, our 1600 gas would eat condensers for some reason and the over/under shift on all of them wasn't that long lasting but the rest of the tractors were great.

I think we had 1 1600 gas and two 1650 diesels but there may have been another diesel in there somewhere. I know it was at least two. Great low end torque so you could start a load like a plow or disc at lower rpm and then throttle up without any hesitation at all. No seat belt, no ROPS or other safety features but really fun tractors.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
i like the cab on the 2 series wish we had that here but we would need ac :lol:

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
Ok gentlemen, this is not how we are on GTT. Let's keep it civil and remember to respect each other even if we have differing opinions. :hi:

I've cleaned the thread. Let's go back to European tractor stuff. :good2:

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Great video. I am not sure the attraction to the 3-point unless it is a cost savings. It is absolutely better than putting pins in and trying to line up the arms up but you still can’t just back up, hitch and go without leaving the seat.

The other thing I find surprising is that we always hear and maybe I shouldn’t say we but I also hear that Europe is much stricter on emissions yet our local Chrysler plant builds diesel Cherokee’s very day to ship there that that can’t sell here and there they are building tractors without all that. One question and maybe I missed it but was the 2036r turbo charged or naturally aspirated?

Nice video Tim. I find how others do things interesting.:good2:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great video. I am not sure the attraction to the 3-point unless it is a cost savings. It is absolutely better than putting pins in and trying to line up the arms up but you still can’t just back up, hitch and go without leaving the seat.
I use Pat's system currently, so I'm used to it and having used both a QH and now Pat's, I prefer Pat's EZ Change. I just don't like having a large box steel frame in the way, when trying to hookup the PTO shaft. Plus, you have to get off or out of you seat anyway to hook that PTO shaft up. On top off that, not all implements are compatible with a box frame style QH. Some of my implements are not QH compatible either.
The other thing about those arms and top link being integrated, is that you don't lose any 3pt capacity due to extended length, like with Pat's, or any QH, that is used in the US.
But, I agree, the ease of use of a QH, is definitely nice and quick, when it's usable. Just to me, it has more downsides than up.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
I use Pat's system currently, so I'm used to it and having used both a QH and now Pat's, I prefer Pat's EZ Change. I just don't like having a large box steel frame in the way, when trying to hookup the PTO shaft. Plus, you have to get off or out of you seat anyway to hook that PTO shaft up. On top off that, not all implements are compatible with a box frame style QH. Some of my implements are not QH compatible either.
The other thing about those arms and top link being integrated, is that you don't lose any 3pt capacity due to extended length, like with Pat's, or any QH, that is used in the US.
But, I agree, the ease of use of a QH, is definitely nice and quick, when it's usable. Just to me, it has more downsides than up.
Your points are all valid and your are correct sometimes it is a bit of contortionism to hook up the pto. It is good to have choices.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,953 Posts
Was wondering where that jerk side hood latch configuration came from that you need a screw driver to open the hood. :banghead:

That's fixing to be modified on mine with an extender rod and button of some type on the end, I guar-run-tee. :laugh:

Also noticed on the 4066 showed they still had the hybrid exhaust port on the top of the hood, always thought that
was a stupid idea for no good purpose.
A valve would control how much exhaust went to the top port in relationship to the side port. :dunno::dunno:

On the 2019 US 4066s they did away with that and the exhaust from the turbo goes directly to the side.

Ma Deere probably had a bunch of hoods already built with the hole cut into them, so they put a little cheesy plastic cap there
to cover the hole where the secondary exhaust port went.

Ma Deere wasn't going to bite the bullet on them hoods already made with the hole in them. :lol:

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Was wondering where that jerk side hood latch configuration came from that you need a screw driver to open the hood. :banghead:

That's fixing to be modified on mine with an extender rod and button of some type on the end, I guar-run-tee. :laugh:

Also noticed on the 4066 showed they still had the hybrid exhaust port on the top of the hood, always thought that
was a stupid idea for no good purpose.
A valve would control how much exhaust went to the top port in relationship to the side port. :dunno::dunno:

On the 2019 US 4066s they did away with that and the exhaust from the turbo goes directly to the side.

Ma Deere probably had a bunch of hoods already built with the hole cut into them, so they put a little cheesy plastic cap there
to cover the hole where the secondary exhaust port went.

Ma Deere wasn't going to bite the bullet on them hoods already made with the hole in them. :lol:
Thats what mine came with, salesman told me I didn't need that vertical exhaust anyway, but the cover is goofy...:laugh: Wife said she could decal cover it with a yellow Bumblebee if I wanted :banghead:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I understand completely, OC. I can't imagine why one would need anything to "unlock" the hood. Something to secure it, yes, but no special instruments should be needed to access the engine. And I'd be a bit disappointed in a Cajun boy that didn't make a work around for that.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I had a chance to watch the video yesterday. Pretty interesting stuff! I'm going to send a link to my salesman as I think he'll find it pretty interesting. I don't think they've ever sold a tractor under 50HP that didn't have a loader. Was also thinking about the aftermarket loader and wondered what attachment system it uses. Is the whole SSQA vs. JDQA thing an issue over there?

And, as a former tax professional, I'm pretty impressed, Tim, that you came up with a way to create a "business purpose" for a family trip to Europe!! :good2: :laugh:

Ok gentlemen, this is not how we are on GTT. Let's keep it civil and remember to respect each other even if we have differing opinions. :hi:

I've cleaned the thread. Let's go back to European tractor stuff. :good2:
Dang! I always seem to miss the excitement! :laugh:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I understand completely, OC. I can't imagine why one would need anything to "unlock" the hood. Something to secure it, yes, but no special instruments should be needed to access the engine. And I'd be a bit disappointed in a Cajun boy that didn't make a work around for that.
It sounded like the sales dude said that they don't want the hood opened while the engine is running. So if you have to use the key to open it, you won't have the key in the ignition. Not a very effective safety design when you can use anything with a point on it to open the hood. But I guess they could say you didn't follow the safety guide lines in the manual if you get hurt later. That's my guess. My question then is, can you open an automobile hood while the engine is running in Germany?

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
You don’t need the key to open the hood, just some sort of tool. He used the key because it was handy. :good2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts