Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The snow is finally melting en masse up here in Vermont so now I'm getting to see how what things look like underneath the winter-snow blanket.

What I have found were lots and lots of vole trails as wells as random mounds of earth which I think are from voles but maybe from something bigger. I don't remember seeing so much evidence from last spring. I am a little concerned that all my big garden plans might be sabotaged by these little buggers!

Anyone have similar issues and if so what did you do to combat the problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Outdoor cats is one method.
We had them pretty bad a few years ago. Ate alot of the wifes flower roots thus killing them.
Last year wasn't that bad.
I've tried a bunch of different methods with so so success.
The only critter i got a handle on are moles thanks to that wicked trap i got on amazon a few years ago.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
OK, I'll bite, what are voles? I thought you meant moles and then see where you talk about moles as a separate critter. :dunno:

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
OK, I'll bite, what are voles? I thought you meant moles and then see where you talk about moles as a separate critter. :dunno:
Most people call them "Field Mice" but technically, they aren't mice. Voles is the proper name.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
23,053 Posts
I was wondering the same thing - had to look it up:

Identifying Moles and Voles - Lawn Pests

Looks like a vole is actually a rodent.

This is the first year we had any sign of moles in over 20 years after the snow melted. Lots of mole hills in a couple sections of my mowing area - mostly in the softer area where there are springs. There doesn't seem to be any recent activity so I am just going to back drag my bucket over them before I start mowing.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
This trap is a good one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses.

It might be moles instead of voles but the ones I saw were pretty small.

I'll look into that trap idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Vole on the left - Mole on the right:

View attachment 43795
Exactly.

Moles destroy your lawn looking for grubs you obviously have in your lawn.

Voles destroy your flowers and veggies by eating the roots off.

Couple of my confirmed mole KIA last year-

image3-vi.jpg

image32-vi.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Exactly.

Moles destroy your lawn looking for grubs you obviously have in your lawn.

Voles destroy your flowers and veggies by eating the roots off.

Couple of my confirmed mole KIA last year-

View attachment 43811

View attachment 43812
The moles around here are not that big for sure. Appears Granny Clampett could make a stew out of those critters! That trap sure makes it certain death.. Those are as big as the river rats that used to visit my father in laws potato bin in the cellar.. I think our outdoor cats would run away from those moles!

Jeff

·
Registered
26 Posts
This trap is a good one.

After reading this today, and being I have been having mole problems I ran up to Lowes and picked up a couple of these. I set the first one out and then went down in my front yard to set the other. Once I got it set I went to look around in the backyard for any tunnels and looked over behind my shop where I set the first one out at only to see it was thrown. I thought great the dang thing won't stay set so I went to check on it and here's what I found.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
After reading this today, and being I have been having mole problems I ran up to Lowes and picked up a couple of these. I set the first one out and then went down in my front yard to set the other. Once I got it set I went to look around in the backyard for any tunnels and looked over behind my shop where I set the first one out at only to see it was thrown. I thought great the dang thing won't stay set so I went to check on it and here's what I found.

I'm going to get me a few of these. Have a bumper crop of field mice, chip monks and voles raising hell around here lately. Death to these pesky critters.

death.gif

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
352 Posts
Getting rid of Voles

When we lived in Green Bay Wisconsin after the first Winter and the snow melted from the lawn I was bewildered to see all kinds of trails in the grass and the lawn badly damaged so after trial and error and talking to the good people up there what we did worked well to significantly reduce the amount of voles and damage. The first thing to do is keep cutting your grass as short as possible in the weeks before it snows....what you are aiming for is short grass when it snows. The shorter the grass the less voles you will attract. From your experience with past winters identify their sources....ours were around the house foundation and the electrical transformer box in the yard as well as a few other locations. Generously sprinkle moth balls in these areas just before it snows than broad cast a few boxes here an there on your lawn where the trenches/paths were the worst. The idea here is to have mothballs in high vole traffic areas under the snow.....the combination of short grass and mothballs worked well. We also used a vole repellent which was in yellow funnel shaped container that worked very well and when we used this with the mothballs we got even better results. It was actually a mole killer/repellent but I used it at the advice of the neighbors and it worked great. Judging by the amount of this stuff on the shelves Voles were a big problem in our area and could tear up a lawn over winter real good but none of it was visible until the snow melted.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Outdoor cats is one method.
We had them pretty bad a few years ago. Ate alot of the wifes flower roots thus killing them.
Last year wasn't that bad.
I've tried a bunch of different methods with so so success.
The only critter i got a handle on are moles thanks to that wicked trap i got on amazon a few years ago.
I'll second the cats. They kill then all!

·
Registered
113 Posts
West highland white terrier..... Westy.
I have three of these little dogs and they will annihilate any little critters they come across. They are pack hunters like wolves if you have more than two. They work as a team, it's quite amazing. Gunner has the best nose I've ever seen and I've had some really good beagles. Lucy is the finisher and joey, their pup keeps the backdoor closed and plugs any escape routes. I've had to rescue fox squirrels that they've hemmed in.
Moles get taken out very quickly by the red fox that live around my house. I watched one at evening come into my backyard and smell along the bump of dirt and stop, take it's paws and scratch the surface of the dirt hill a couple times then spring into the air and come down nose first like a jackhammer into the ground and pull the mole out. The foxes never bother my buildings or want to be anywhere near a human for the most part probably because they are trapped and hunted where I live.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts