Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I wasn't sure what to put on the title. Wasn't even sure if this is the right thread to put this on. If it's wrong I'll leave it up to the right people to put it in the right place.
Today I picked up my wagon I've been wanting for quite some time. The funds were available so I pulled the trigger, with my wife's blessing of 'course. I could have gone with a trailer version but I wanted a wagon. I don't know why except I just like wagons and wanted no tongue weight and be able to hook up without picking up the whole trailer weight if it's loaded. Also like the idea of the bed being flat when it's not hooked up to the tractor. I also like 4 wheels with the wheels being at the 4 corners and not the middle of the trailer. Yes it will be harder to back up but that's the way I learned when I was a kid so hopefully it will be like riding a bicycle, it'll all come back to me. Didn't ride a bicycle till I was around 10 years old so...who knows. I'll try to take pic as I go along with this build. To start with it looked like this after it was loaded on my pick-up.
IMG_0394.jpg 5 straps in total to hold it in place. Worked, nothing moved.

IMG_0395.jpg Packed in pretty good. After I removed the lid. Nothing moved from the trip from Ohio to Knoxville and then to my home.

IMG_0396.jpg After I removed the boards which are my sides and end pieces.

IMG_0397.jpg Removed the wheels and the small box. Tire on the right shows how wide the tires are. Tire size is 16x6.50-8 2ply. max pressure = 14lbs. Had to remove some pressure as they had 30lbs in them, for shipping I'd say. I left them at 17lbs.

IMG_0398.jpg The box items. It's the hand operated hyd. pump to dump the bed and all that goes with it.

IMG_0399.jpg Started to take things out of the main box. That's the inner frame leaning against the tailgate. The front and rear piece attach to it.

IMG_0400.jpg The dump pieces. Had to take it out to see what I had so I could figure out where to start first. Read the instructions 3 times by now. 1 set for the wagon and 1 for the hyd. dump. Not only had to see where to start but also which side goes up on the inner frame.

IMG_0401.jpg So far things are going together good. I'm greasing and lubing as I go along. Looks pretty good!

IMG_0402.jpg Got the hand pump attached and seeing as it was supper time I thought I'd stop here for today and put everything away. My stomach is still talking to me from this morning. My thoughts so far are that this wagon is built heavy and it is heavy. It makes all the trailers I've looked at seem cheap. The only thing I'm not pleased with is the 2ply tires. This is a 1 ton wagon and even though the 2000 lbs. if I get that much on it is spread out to the 4 corners, that's 500 lbs. each. The axles are ¾". The most trouble I had so far is the grease tube I had to replace when I ran out of grease. That's the one thing my wife noticed, grease on my shorts. I have faith in her to get it out. Think she uses mean green and pre-soaks before washing. It was a nice day today so I wore shorts and sandals. It should all come together tomorrow. :yahoo:

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Nice... I have a 4 wheel farm wagon 14 ft long. I call it my $1000 free wagon. It was given to me free, but I put $1000 in it with new 15 inch wheels, 10 ply tires and rebuilt from the frame up, this time with pressure treated wood.

I learned to back up a 4 wheel trailer when I was just a youngster also. A little more difficult now that I cannot turn my head as much as I used to.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Levi it's a good looking wagon. Now I see a hydraulic cylinder and a rear svc in your future!! That would be great option. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
:bigthumb:ah-Levi-yelp that's the brand I was thinking of. I think u got a very good one. like someone has said, I can see hydraulics in the future. way to go:clap::happy:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Levi it's a good looking wagon. Now I see a hydraulic cylinder and a rear svc in your future!! That would be great option. :bigthumb:
:bigthumb:ah-Levi-yelp that's the brand I was thinking of. I think u got a very good one. like someone has said, I can see hydraulics in the future. way to go:clap::happy:
Yah, I'm thinking that is the way to go but I'll have to wait a while to do this. After using this, I'll be doing more research and take some measurements.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,775 Posts
I have to admit, I like it also. :thumbup1gif:

The only thing I'm not pleased with is the 2ply tires.
The tires look like high flotation tires, I think you'll be just fine.

·
Corndog Hater
11,126 Posts
Looks good so far Levi. Shorts and sandals? I'm jealous. Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and posting them and the write up.:good2:

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Nice looking wagon Levi, wish I had one for when the gkids are here or hauling large loads of firewood and brush. I'm anxious see the floor and sides installed. What are your plans for use? :dunno: Costs??

:munch::munch:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Looking good Levi! :thumbup1gif:

So...............what brand and model is it? :unknown:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice looking wagon Levi, wish I had one for when the gkids are here or hauling large loads of firewood and brush. I'm anxious see the floor and sides installed. What are your plans for use? :dunno: Costs??

:munch::munch:
Plans are to haul any and everything. I'm thinking of putting places on the sides and front to put my chainsaw, fork, shovels, tire stops, gas cans, tool box, chains, things of that nature. Cost was just over $800.00 all in.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
21,233 Posts
Awesome Levi! Looking forward to you finishing it up and see it in use.

I totally agree with you about the wagon vs. trailer. You made some very good points about that. If I ever go this way it will also be a wagon for sure.

Actually I think it is great with the high flotation tires.

I'm impressed for $800 - now something else on my wish list!

Thanks for sharing the pics as you go along.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,775 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
the dump would be great for around the yard

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Looking good, I like. Be interested how you like it, I think for that price it will be real handy and would consider one myself.:munch:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Levi - since you are greasing etc. as you put it together, are you going to stain the wooden parts?
With the treated wood you normally have to let it age first before the stain will soak in. when i rebuilt my fence i stained it the following year.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts