Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until now I've never owned anything more than used old riding lawn mowers that most of the time I got for free. Even after building my house I said I'm not buying a tractor until I had a shed to put it in. Finally 5 years after building the house I have a shed. About 2 weeks ago my latest old riding lawn mower decided it had enough of me and my hill that is disguised as a lawn. Seeing as I finally had a place to put a new tractor and keep it out of the rain I started my search for a new machine.

Like many my search started with box stores and higher end riding mowers from dealers (husky and cub primarily). I knew I needed something with a transmission that could handle my property and I really wanted something that could actually do more than just mow a lawn. Long story short as I'm sure you can tell from the title of the post I've settled on an x738 which the local dealer had on the showroom floor. I had originally planned on getting an x730 but they sold me the x738 with a 54"HC drive over deck, hydraulic 3PT hitch, mulch kit and a woods 48" box scraper for 400 more than they quoted for the x730 (with the same options) which they would have had order from the factory. So after walking into the dealer just looking for a quote I ended up leaving with 60 months of payments @ 0% (that financing deal has got to be killing the x500 series sales).

So here I sit now typing this and waiting as patiently as possible waiting for my tractor to be delivered. Sure I said a week lead time on the 3pt hitch wasn't a problem and I wasn't in a hurry to get the tractor, but that was a week ago.... I thought writing this might help but I don't think it has I feel like a kid does the week before Christmas and all I want is my new shiny green toy.

Also thanks to endlessly reading forum posts to satisfy my green tractor itch I can't help but wonder if I should have gone for the diesel or maybe a 1 series (although I don't think a 1 series will fit in the shed so that's a deal breaker for now).....

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Congrats man, you'll love the machine. Hopefully your wait is better than my 4-5 week wait. That machine is extremely capable I think you'll still be surprised how well it can push and pull material.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still can't help to think that the box blade is too much for the tractor even though it's a standard accessory offered by JD for this series tractor. Or am I just worrying too much. I do have about 100lbs of weight to hang on the front end as ballast when I have the blade on which should help things out a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got mine 6 weeks ago

I got mine 6 weeks ago, I have had many JD tractor but nothing like this beast. It's everything I thought it would be and much more. This climbs like a billy goat, I can cut places I would have to spend hours using a weed wacker to cut.
If a man can love a garden tractor I'm in love with mine. I did the 8-hour oil change no tools took 10 minutes, well the factory put the oil filter on way to tight so I guess I did you a big pair of channel locks to get the filter off.
I can hardly wait to plow snow with my beast. my other tractor tore up my asphalt driveway pretty bad over the years using chains in the winter. Driveway has been replaced and my x738 will not be needing any chains.
I added the front receiver with a 2-inch ball I love how it handles moving my snowmobile trailer and boat trailer around, I had to fix that RIO switch or unfix it I back up probably 40 times cutting my yard.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And now I just want the delivery that much more. Thanks for that ?

Not that any safety minded homeowner would want to do such a modification, but was the RIO switch easy to handle?

·
Registered
41 Posts
And now I just want the delivery that much more. Thanks for that ?

Not that any safety minded homeowner would want to do such a modification, but was the RIO switch easy to handle?
How long you been waiting. I bought mine on a Tuesday and they delivered it that Friday. I waited 3 days. Has it been longer than that?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been a full 7 days so far.the said the 3pt hitch was a weeks lead time for shipping. I figure I have till Thursday or next Tuesday before delivery. ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I still can't help to think that the box blade is too much for the tractor even though it's a standard accessory offered by JD for this series tractor. Or am I just worrying too much. I do have about 100lbs of weight to hang on the front end as ballast when I have the blade on which should help things out a bit.
I use a 4' box blade (about 300#, same as Woods) with my X729 with 4 suitcases on front and it works fine. You just have to realize it not Grandpa's 4020 and you can't drop the ripper teeth to max and go flying down packed driveway. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Up until now I've never owned anything more than used old riding lawn mowers that most of the time I got for free. Even after building my house I said I'm not buying a tractor until I had a shed to put it in. Finally 5 years after building the house I have a shed. About 2 weeks ago my latest old riding lawn mower decided it had enough of me and my hill that is disguised as a lawn. Seeing as I finally had a place to put a new tractor and keep it out of the rain I started my search for a new machine.

Like many my search started with box stores and higher end riding mowers from dealers (husky and cub primarily). I knew I needed something with a transmission that could handle my property and I really wanted something that could actually do more than just mow a lawn. Long story short as I'm sure you can tell from the title of the post I've settled on an x738 which the local dealer had on the showroom floor. I had originally planned on getting an x730 but they sold me the x738 with a 54"HC drive over deck, hydraulic 3PT hitch, mulch kit and a woods 48" box scraper for 400 more than they quoted for the x730 (with the same options) which they would have had order from the factory. So after walking into the dealer just looking for a quote I ended up leaving with 60 months of payments @ 0% (that financing deal has got to be killing the x500 series sales).

So here I sit now typing this and waiting as patiently as possible waiting for my tractor to be delivered. Sure I said a week lead time on the 3pt hitch wasn't a problem and I wasn't in a hurry to get the tractor, but that was a week ago.... I thought writing this might help but I don't think it has I feel like a kid does the week before Christmas and all I want is my new shiny green toy.

Also thanks to endlessly reading forum posts to satisfy my green tractor itch I can't help but wonder if I should have gone for the diesel or maybe a 1 series (although I don't think a 1 series will fit in the shed so that's a deal breaker for now).....

I'm honestly wondering if Deere is planning on nuking the x700 series sometime soon, or seriously paring back the number of variants to just one or two.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Granted it was while he was selling me my tractor my dealer said the x700s are selling really well. He claimed they were selling an X7xx about every other week. For a tractor as expensive as this every other week sounds like pretty hot sales when there are 2 other JD dealers within 30 min of him.

·
Registered
640 Posts
:wgtt: and :congrats: on the new :greentractorride:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Waiting really sucks. I ordered my x758 back in June! Supposedly, it was finally ready for pick up Monday, but wouldn't you know it, I'm out of town all week! Hoping I can get it Friday before the dealer closes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats! I have an X739 and love it. I wish I had 10 AC to mow its that much fun.

As for the RIO its a pain and I think its anti-safety if you ask me. You spend brain power thinking about pressing the stupid button rather than looking behind. Simple by-pass, piece of wire across the terminals FIXED it. Now you concentrate on what you should be doing... looking behind.

And now I just want the delivery that much more. Thanks for that ��

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Waiting really sucks. I ordered my x758 back in June! Supposedly, it was finally ready for pick up Monday, but wouldn't you know it, I'm out of town all week! Hoping I can get it Friday before the dealer closes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
If I had to wait over a month I might go crazy... At least the lawn would be really nice and tall to put the mower to some good work when it showed up. We've had high humidity/rain and temps in the 80's for a week now I can see the grass getting thicker every day.

·
Registered
570 Posts
We've lived in our place 23 years now. When we moved in, I bought a brand new Craftsman GT3000. I wanted to Deere at the time. Cost being a factor, I was content with what I could justify spending at the time. This spring I walked out to the shed and opened the doors. There she was, that thing I fought with since it was new. That dang thing, I was always dealing with a clogged deck, and/or grass chute. That's when I went on strike. I told my miss's I had enough, and I was buying my long yearned for John Deere. We got in on the 0% for 60 months, and the next thing I found myself doing was test driving, drooling, and virtually LICKING every steering wheel in the Signature Series line-up. I DROVE MY SELF NUTS!! As mentioned, like a kid at a mega toy store. I chose the 4-wheel steer X739. It's been in my shop for about eight weeks now. I've been acquiring all sorts of useful (tools) toys for it since. I already got a lightly used LandPride BB0548 Box Scraper that I found for $375. But I don't have a 3-point hitch yet!! LOL. Tomorrow I'm ordering one from Bill Ruegg.

You're gonna love your new Deere. Congrats!
We live on 3/4 acre. All flat. That's OK, mine will live a pretty easy life :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I got mine 6 weeks ago, I have had many JD tractor but nothing like this beast. It's everything I thought it would be and much more. This climbs like a billy goat, I can cut places I would have to spend hours using a weed wacker to cut.
If a man can love a garden tractor I'm in love with mine. I did the 8-hour oil change no tools took 10 minutes, well the factory put the oil filter on way to tight so I guess I did you a big pair of channel locks to get the filter off.
I can hardly wait to plow snow with my beast. my other tractor tore up my asphalt driveway pretty bad over the years using chains in the winter. Driveway has been replaced and my x738 will not be needing any chains.
I added the front receiver with a 2-inch ball I love how it handles moving my snowmobile trailer and boat trailer around, I had to fix that RIO switch or unfix it I back up probably 40 times cutting my yard.
You stated no tools to change your oil.. how in the world did you get to the oil drain on this unit with no tools? I have to put a 1/4"X12" extension and socket in over the front receiver frame to get to the drain,, I cannot for the life of me get my hands in there to open the drain up and I use my two post lift to work under it!... and the way they have the oil drain tube bent up you have to keep the plastic tube straight to even get the oil to flow... It's a crazy place to put a drain in my opinion,, but I do love my X738 and the OP will too, they go anywhere, well almost! Now he needs a cab for the winter snowblowing adventure... Jeff

·
Registered
58 Posts
My X739 has a valve for the drain. Very simple "tool-less" operation. Does a good job of draining too I used and evac pump afterwords and got very little left over.

You stated no tools to change your oil.. how in the world did you get to the oil drain on this unit with no tools? I have to put a 1/4"X12" extension and socket in over the front receiver frame to get to the drain,, I cannot for the life of me get my hands in there to open the drain up and I use my two post lift to work under it!... and the way they have the oil drain tube bent up you have to keep the plastic tube straight to even get the oil to flow... It's a crazy place to put a drain in my opinion,, but I do love my X738 and the OP will too, they go anywhere, well almost! Now he needs a cab for the winter snowblowing adventure... Jeff

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe as was pointed out they put a really easy to get to oil drain ball valve on the engines in 2016 or 2017. At least I think I read that somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I believe as was pointed out they put a really easy to get to oil drain ball valve on the engines in 2016 or 2017. At least I think I read that somewhere.
I'm thinking of changing my drain valve so I can get to it easier, even just a plug would be better.. They must have had complaints about it. My 738 is an older model and believe me it's no picnic to get to that valve! I'll have to investigate this a little more thoroughly. I only do the oil changes twice a year with the filter, glad I don't have to do it more often... I could read the entire sandwich thread in the time it takes to drain the oil! :laugh:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wait is coming to an end. Got a call this afternoon say delivery will be tomorrow morning. The parts guys says the tractor looks really impressive with a box blade hanging off the back. Can't wait to get on it and put it to the test.

All told I'm into the thing for:

$9701 for the x738
$1708 for the 54HC deck
$567 for the 3pt hitch installed
$200 for the mulch kit installed
$899 for a woods box blade assembled and attached to the tractor.
+ Tax

Some a good price others alil meh overall it seems like a "good deal".

I do have a tendency to go overboard with getting things bigger than I may actually need and this seems like it might take first place in the rankings by a long shot.

All that won't keep me from loosing sleep waiting for the sounds of deere feet on the roof looking out the window for the first glimpse of the green sleigh.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts