Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Signed papers with a Builder in Jan, and I couldn't wait any longer, so I started on the dirt work. John Deere will have a new home in May!

40x60x18, with 3 garage doors, a radiant floor, and 2 story living area. Stacked it to not take so much space from the shop. Kitchen, table, bath downstairs, TV room upstairs.

Looking for suggestions for shop sound system?
Should I wire it into the surround sound for the TV, on input 'B' and just add speakers (Polk Atrium Outdoor speakers.) to the shop, or go with a separate system?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Looking for suggestions for shop sound system?
Should I wire it into the surround sound for the TV, on input 'B' and just add speakers to the shop, or go with a separate system?
What speakers are used for the TV surround sound? You'll need some decent power to get enough volume for an area that big. (Wire is cheap. I would install enough to allow for both options, while it's easy.) I couldn't see the PDF images, so you may have provided details I don't have.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have not purchased the surround sound speakers yet, depends on final room layout, but was thinking about using alternate output from Audio receiver and using Polk Outdoor speakers in the shop, but never dealt with a building this big before, so asking advice.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Separate reciever for the shop. If you are using a 7.2 reciever or similar for you surround sound inside, then you might have two additional outputs that could drive speakers in your shop on the B output. I agree that isn't enough speakers for that area, and you also don't want to have to walk upstairs to change settings when you're in the middle of a project.

If your ceiling is going to be finished, I just put four of these in my garage. They lack a little bit of low end, but I get uniform sound everywhere, and they take up zero room. JBL-26C is the model. You do have to wire pairs in parallel on each channel to get them to an 8 ohm load.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
have not purchased the surround sound speakers yet, depends on final room layout, but was thinking about using alternate output from Audio receiver and using Polk Outdoor speakers in the shop, but never dealt with a building this big before, so asking advice.
FYI: Using A & B connections for speakers reduces power to each speaker as more speakers are added. You'll have to plan for that. Using Zone 2 gets around that problem, but most affordable receivers won't output a digital source to Zone 2. I'm running seven speakers on Zone 1 and another eight on Zone 2 (15 year old Onkyo) using impedance matching switches. As I recall, outdoor speakers normally require a lot more power than indoor ones -- another factor to consider so you don't cause an overload.

·
Registered
2032R, 220R MSL, 270B
40 Posts
Only experience is the church sound system, but started researching for a whole-home system myself. Consider a 70v system, then it doesn't matter how many speakers you add, and each one could be adjusted to account for corners, absorbent conditions vs reflective surfaces, etc.This would just be the amplifier+speaker portion, you'd still need to decide whether to supply source from the main system or just add a tuner to the shop system. Most new systems support online sources like Pandora natively, and I'd expect if you use something like a Synology for serving your own collection it would have a built in client for that as well. Watching this space for updates (y)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With all the suggestions I decided to talk the the Crutchfield guys and this was their suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts