Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a good amount of discussion and many owners who have one that id like to hear from. I saw a new Wallenstein Bx42s for sale a few hours from me for $1600. I could maybe get him to do better but that’s atleast half of what they are new. Apparently this units never been used.

With my landscape business any pruining we do is usually hauled to the landfill or I put in my burn pile. I have been collecting it now and have a decent pile, I also have a buddy who runs a Christmas tree lot and I take what’s left and burn those. This year he had 130 left over that I kept.

I’ve rented the large 10-12” diesel tow behind chippers and although I’ve tried And have yet to bust or stall them.

Will I be able to feed the chipper “full trees” or one branch at a time? Rental is $300 a day for a big machine. And between rental and myself purchasing mulch for my trees and beds it would pay for the unit eventually.

What is the life expectancy for the knives or cutters that the chipper uses?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
What tractor will be turning it?

Reactions: greenharley

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
I ran about 20 3"-4" diameter, 20'+ tall birch trees through my BX42 about 3 weeks ago. I just shoved them in and occasionally gave them a little push. Without any leaves on them the branches folded up pretty easily.

I haven't tried running christmas trees through it since those usually get fed to the goats but I would guess they'd be more of a problem. With no autofeed to pull them through, it's up to you to fold the branches up enough to get them to fit through the chute.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Giz. Yes I assumed it was the Wallenstein but looking at the ad more it seems it’s the knock off. I’ll give him a call and see what he wants to offload it for. Won’t be for $1600

It’s also 7-8hr round trip to pick it up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spruce trees and really most evergreens don't go through these self feeding chippers to well due to the branches growing out at every angle. You would have to cut most of the branches off the stem which to get the chipper to take em. On deciduous trees most of the branches trend upwards so they will fold up if fed into the chipper butt end first. I don't think a 1025R paired to one of these chippers would make fiscal sense for a business. Don't get me wrong. I own a chinese clown and have been spending a lot of time on it lately chipping the brush from a 50' x 70' section of land I cleared. I just don't think they are nearly fast enough if time is money.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spruce trees and really most evergreens don't go through these self feeding chippers to well due to the branches growing out at every angle. You would have to cut most of the branches off the stem which to get the chipper to take em. On deciduous trees most of the branches trend upwards so they will fold up if fed into the chipper butt end first. I don't think a 1025R paired to one of these chippers would make fiscal sense for a business. Don't get me wrong. I own a chinese clown and have been spending a lot of time on it lately chipping the brush from a 50' x 70' section of land I cleared. I just don't think they are nearly fast enough if time is money.
It certainly wouldn’t be something I’d bring on the job site, I don’t take on much arbourist jobs due to lack of equipment and knowledge. Most would be my personal property maintenance. Any extra chipping would come from the little I do from work as well as the yearly Christmas tree drop off.

Last year I was left with around 75 trees which I piled and burned. It’s hard to burn as the wood is still green, it also made a mess of my lawn. I have a 50x50 patch in the back section that will probably never grow grass again.

·
Registered
700 Posts
It certainly wouldn’t be something I’d bring on the job site, I don’t take on much arbourist jobs due to lack of equipment and knowledge. Most would be my personal property maintenance. Any extra chipping would come from the little I do from work as well as the yearly Christmas tree drop off.

Last year I was left with around 75 trees which I piled and burned. It’s hard to burn as the wood is still green, it also made a mess of my lawn. I have a 50x50 patch in the back section that will probably never grow grass again.

The sap from the pine needles is extremely acidic. My neighbour's front lawn (with three giant white pines) is testament to that.

One of my old coworkers is actually an arborist, and owns a three-point chipper on a much older "full-size" tractor for his acreage. His opinion was that if I was just interested in chipping, he'd hire me as a cash labourer at ten bucks an hour and I would likely come out ahead (this was me considering mounting a 4" chipper on my 2520).

If you're doing it for cash, get a real Vermeer chipper, if you're doing it for yourself only, this would do fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A neighbor had a deal with an arborist who dumps mulch at his place. When he has enough he invites me over with my dump trailer and I haul several yards out to my place to do around the trees. I’m in the prairies and the trees are thin and few here.

My plan is to finish off removing the sod around the trees into large beds so I can cut back on mowing. Chipper would be the occasional waste and using it to maintain the decay of the mulched areas every year.

I don’t mind feeding it branches and myself beer

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
A neighbor had a deal with an arborist who dumps mulch at his place. When he has enough he invites me over with my dump trailer and I haul several yards out to my place to do around the trees. I’m in the prairies and the trees are thin and few here.

My plan is to finish off removing the sod around the trees into large beds so I can cut back on mowing. Chipper would be the occasional waste and using it to maintain the decay of the mulched areas every year.

I don’t mind feeding it branches and myself beer
The DeWalt Cordless Compact Reciprocating Saw is my dear friend when using our Wallenstein BX42.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Dombougie, I bought the Chinese knockoff this past summer. Price wise, I think I paid $1200–paid cash so I don’t have a record.
https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/169874-chipper-added-family.html

I’ve been happy with it, mainly chipping 2-4” poplar trees. I haven’t seen any deterioration of the knives.

When the tree has a lot of small branches, it is a fair bit of work to push them thru. To Gizmo’s point, having a way to trim them makes a good difference.

I haven’t tried Christmas trees or leafy branches, but other posts talked that becuase these chippers don’t have a shredder on them, they aren’t the best for that stuff.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and JD4044M

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info guys. Never tried the reciprocating saw with a pruning blade yet, I do have a cordless one I could try out. Of course with my business I have chainsaws, pruners etc.

All the Christmas trees are still tied up but would still be to wide for a little chipper to chew up the whole thing.

Thinking of going up to Edmonton where it’s located on Thursday. It’s almost 8 hours rountrip so hopefully he’s ready to bargain more

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Never tried the reciprocating saw with a pruning blade yet, I do have a cordless one I could try out. Of course with my business I have chainsaws, pruners etc.

All the Christmas trees are still tied up but would still be to wide for a little chipper to chew up the whole thing.

Thinking of going up to Edmonton where it’s located on Thursday. It’s almost 8 hours rountrip so hopefully he’s ready to bargain more
I have all that stuff but compared to the cordless reciprocating saw it's all a PITA to use now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I picked up the bx42 chipper today. I found one half an hour away for $1200 new which was less than the guy who was 3 1/2 hours from me. It was easy to assemble given the lack of instruction manual. I added quick hitch bushings and took it out back to test out. Initially I fed it some small branches and actually found it ate the bigger uglier branches much easier.

The Christmas trees didn’t feed to well, I pulled all the string tying them together off and tried stuffing them in whole, nope. Even after de limbing them they were hard to get into the chipper, the main trunk itself just disappears into the pile. I also had a large pile of cherry tree branches which fed quickly and easily.

The smell from chipping both the cherry and fir trees is very nice. Sad to see big piles I’ve dumped with my trailer turn into very small piles of clippings. I should also add that I usually use just ear plugs when working equipment and found the operation to be fairly quiet.

Picture for proof as well as a bonus which was a coin from China that ended up with the unit some how.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Picture for proof as well as a bonus which was a coin from China that ended up with the unit some how.
Made in China?

Sincerely

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The DeWalt Cordless Compact Reciprocating Saw is my dear friend when using our Wallenstein BX42.
Having my chipper was the reason I bought my Ridgid recip saw. Super handy to have when you need to trim a branch quickly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts