Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a Wallenstein BX52R and planning to connect the hydraulics via the Power Beyond on a JD3720. Does any one know the fitting sizes for the PB unit and if they are compatible with the Wallenstein lines? If not, which fitting would be needed on the Wallenstein side?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,070 Posts
Doesn't the Wallenstein BX52R have it's own hydraulic pump that is PTO driven?

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
The QD fittings are 1/2” ISO 5675 “AG” style. Just make sure it (the chipper) has open center hydraulics, I’d assume it does but it doesn’t hurt to verify.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kenny. I have reached out to Wallenstein to confirm it is an open center valve. For the QD fittings - that is on the PB side (one female and one male) right? I think the chipper has two of the standard male SCV fittings. Is there an off the shelf adapter for the two sizes? Do you know the size for the SCV fitting?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Could you share when you get a quote? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Connecting to the PH

Following up on this thread for more advice.

We did purchase the BX52R. There are two hydraulic lines to the tractor, one appears to have a one-way check valve on it. The tractor is a 3720 with PB (for backhoe) and the 3rd SCV which is current connected to the front for the grapple.

I'm trying to figure out the "correct way" to hook this up. We do alot of moving when chipping (chip one pile, shutdown & raise chipper, move tractor, chip next pile) so we need to have the 3pt arms active. We also use the grapple to move the trees to the firewood pile once they are delimbed so I don't want to use the 3rd SCV because it is in use for the grapple. With my father's Valby chipper, we hooked the chipper feed line to the PB "loop" and the return line to the PB "loop return" and not the return used for the BH. This allowed the automatic feed and the 3pt arms to work at the same time.

Is this "correct" meaning will it cause any damage/side effects to the tractor? I can't seem to get a clear answer on that from searching forums. I'm also guess the one-way valve need to be on the return line as the arrow is in the direction of the connector, otherwise it seems like it would block flow to the chipper.

@balrog006 - It was $6K out the door with an extra set of knives and the imatch bushings. Best local deal I could find.

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
If you can post pictures or more info ion this "check valve" I could help better, there should be no such thing in a PB loop.

I would hook it up they way the PB loop is connect without the backhoe attached, meaning the return line is going back to the 3PH allowing it to work. If you hook it up like that backhoe, then you will loose control of the 3PH.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kenny. Here are pictures of the chipper, what I think is the one way valve and the back of the tractor. Note the arrows and notches on the zinc coated item.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
Interesting...Not sure why they need that, but anyway...

So the top fitting of your PB is the P (pressure) or out, so you'd want the hose without the CV to plug into there, then the fluid should flow thru the chipper, then out of the CV and back to the tractor via that jumper hose which is the R (return).

Make sense?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again Kenny. I think it makes sense. Chipper hose with the red cap will plug into the port that the PB loop hose is plugged into. The one with CV and black cap needs a female fitting and will plug into the male connection in the PB loop hose.

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
Yes, that sounds correct to me.
Be sure to never unplug these hoses while the tractor is running as the are carrying the full flow of the hydro system whenever the machine is running.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need some more advice from the experts. We finally got some runtime with the chipper (about four hours today). It is hooked up as described here, with the PB full pressure to the chipper hydraulics and the chipper return to PB return (not the reservoir) so the 3 pt arms still work. We have done this for many hours with my fathers old valby chipper without issue. The lines on the tractor and the chipper were very warm - not enough to burn but very uncomfortable with a bare hand. Is that normal? Is there another way it should be hooked up? We are using the 3rd school for the grapple control. We need the 3pt arm as we move it pretty frequently while chipping.

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
I need some more advice from the experts. We finally got some runtime with the chipper (about four hours today). It is hooked up as described here, with the PB full pressure to the chipper hydraulics and the chipper return to PB return (not the reservoir) so the 3 pt arms still work. We have done this for many hours with my fathers old valby chipper without issue. The lines on the tractor and the chipper were very warm - not enough to burn but very uncomfortable with a bare hand. Is that normal? Is there another way it should be hooked up? We are using the 3rd school for the grapple control. We need the 3pt arm as we move it pretty frequently while chipping.
Sounds normal. The hydraulic fluid can often be about 100* above ambient temp the being worked hard.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
How does it perform?:munch:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts