Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I picked up my Frontier RC2048 off of craigslist. Set up a watchlist. No issues with it, so far so good.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Bought my 4' woods new in 1993 for $795

I can't digest the prices they are asking for Now.

Up here PNW
USED Brush mowers sell for $100 bucks a foot
untill you hit the Big boys....Greater than 6' are rare and spendy but now & then you can get one cheap.

I'll never buy another new one.

When looking at used:
First look under it for Leaks.
Second...take a cresent wrench and check oil
Third..examine pto shaft....Seized? ..Shroud gone from dragging on front edge of mower.
4 check front edge of mower where pto shaft can and will contact it for depression/dent from shaft hitting this area ..its hard on gear box and the last tractor it was on.
5 Wheel..is it a hard wheel= Good..Air tire=no good
6 Is the Wheel support Bent???
7 Is one side of mower deck blown out from Mowing Boulders.....not the end of the world but its been worked and the deck metal is soft.
8 Is there a stump jumper??...You should have noticed in Step #1...While your bent over again look and see how much barb wire ,electric fence wire or hay string is wrapped around the spindle.

9 make your offer ......leakers are worth 50$ a foot if the rest looks OK.

Or buy new for.......A whole bunch of $$$$$

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
412 Posts
I would also recommend Woods. I have a 6 foot Woods XT172 I bought new in 1995 for about $600. I believe it is currently about four or five times that much money. It is a brute. Never had any issues with it. Also have a 5 foot land pride purchased last year and it was around $1400. Land Pride , in my opinion, is suitable for light field work or careful rough work. That’s what I use it for. I do not believe it would stand up to the brutality of saplings, stump and rocks. When I purchased the Land Pride I also looked at Woods.... but it was over twice as much money at the time and I didn’t need that heavy of a mower. I also looked at used and didn’t see anything it looked like it was worth the asking price at the time. I will say I have seen some since on Facebook marketplace in good condition… Name brands like John Deere and Woods. They are discounted perhaps 20% off of new price and they go fast. There was another brand my dealer handled called Kodiak that looked to me like it was built fairly heavy… But it was out of stock at the time I tried to buy with no known restocking time. I would imagine it’s foreign built… But when I looked at the gearbox on Land Pride it’s made in China also.... As I’m sure everything sold at Rural King and TSC is too. It’s just hard to find a bush hog that hasn’t been beat to death.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
RIP
1,225 Posts
I bought a Deere 413 on Craigs list for $350 a few years back. It had a few miles on it but has been great. It was up 1 day when I found it and I went the next day. I can usually find what I want for the price I want but might wait a year for that to happen. Have you tried "search tempest"

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Bought my 4' woods new in 1993 for $795

I can't digest the prices they are asking for Now.

Up here PNW
USED Brush mowers sell for $100 bucks a foot
untill you hit the Big boys....Greater than 6' are rare and spendy but now & then you can get one cheap.

I'll never buy another new one.

When looking at used:
First look under it for Leaks.
Second...take a cresent wrench and check oil
Third..examine pto shaft....Seized? ..Shroud gone from dragging on front edge of mower.
4 check front edge of mower where pto shaft can and will contact it for depression/dent from shaft hitting this area ..its hard on gear box and the last tractor it was on.
5 Wheel..is it a hard wheel= Good..Air tire=no good
6 Is the Wheel support Bent???
7 Is one side of mower deck blown out from Mowing Boulders.....not the end of the world but its been worked and the deck metal is soft.
8 Is there a stump jumper??...You should have noticed in Step #1...While your bent over again look and see how much barb wire ,electric fence wire or hay string is wrapped around the spindle.

9 make your offer ......leakers are worth 50$ a foot if the rest looks OK.

Or buy new for.......A whole bunch of $$$$$

All good info here. Only thing I would add is see if it looks flat. This is probably not a big deal on a 4' cutter, but when 6' or larger a warped deck is a sign of abuse and a deal breaker for me, especially if 3 point mount style cutter.
And I agree, all my cutters were bought used. I have done maintenance to them, but decks, gear boxes and most PTO shafts are original.
I have a 4' cutter on a small tractor, don't use it often, but it does get places the bigger ones wont. Good for cutting trails and field edges under trees.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Not sure where your located or if interested.
I am trading off my 2020 model 60" RC2060 in the very near future. Only used it twice, may have 4 hours total use on it.
I can sell it for $1950 if your interested.

Since I bought my Maschio ditch bank flail, I don't see me every using the the Brush cutters anymore. I am also trading off a brand new MX6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am trading off my 2020 model 60" RC2060 in the very near future. Only used it twice, may have 4 hours total use on it.
View attachment 801617
View attachment 801618
View attachment 801619
Since I bought my Maschio ditch bank flail, I don't see me every using the the Brush cutters anymore. I am also trading off a brand new MX6.
View attachment 801617
View attachment 801618
View attachment 801619
Looks nice but I need 4 foot for my 1025R. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
My 4ft Countyline from TSC has been great to me. Got it for $1000.00 PTO shaft included. I'm sure the cost has went up sense then but at the time the frontier was 1800 and didn't come with a PTO shaft so it was gonna be about 2200 from the dealer. (n)

Reactions: 2mtrucks

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Price in 2017 for my Frontier RC2048 was $1,450, delivered to my home by the dealer. PTO shaft was included.

Remember there are options when you buy a Frontier rotary cutter. Slip clutch vs shear bolt. Laminated tail wheel vs rubber tail wheel. With or without imatch bushings installed. Front foot guard - rubber belting versus chain. Rear guard - metal versus chain. Set up assembly - 1 flat rate hour versus DIY.

My $1450 was slip clutch, laminated tail wheel, belting front guard, metal rear shield, dealer assembly, and I installed my own imatch bushings after delivery.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Remember there are options when you buy a Frontier rotary cutter. Slip clutch vs shear bolt. Laminated tail wheel vs rubber tail wheel. With or without imatch bushings installed. Front foot guard - rubber belting versus chain. Rear guard - metal versus chain. Set up assembly - 1 flat rate hour versus DIY.
I was going to mention that, good point and backs up the value on CC199's 60" cutter posted above.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I have a 4’ KK, paid just over $1,000 about 10 years ago. It seems to work fine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I found an old well used Rhino 48 inch that was rough around the edges and without the front half of the driveshaft for 200. Bought it, bought a new shaft at TSC and away we went. I flipped it over and removed and sharpened the blades early this summer, but other than that I haven't done a thing to it. Looks like crap but it cuts really well and seems to run beautifully. I need to get a corner straightened out and welded back together as it's a little torn up, but for the money and for what I use it for it's been awesome. I would buy another Rhino in a second.

Reactions: trav
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.