Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to add a roof canopy to my JD 2305 tractor.
My research did show some roof canopy's that will attach to the rop bar of this tractor. I was wondering if anybody has seen or purchased a roof canopy for there JD 2305, that has a full support frame under the canopy? Reason for wanting a full frame is to attach a led light bar to the underside of the roof canopy frame.
I love pictures.
Thanks
:usa

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am wanting to add a roof canopy to my JD 2305 tractor.
My research did show some roof canopy's that will attach to the rop bar of this tractor. I was wondering if anybody has seen or purchased a roof canopy for there JD 2305, that has a full support frame under the canopy? Reason for wanting a full frame is to attach a led light bar to the underside of the roof canopy frame.
I love pictures.
Thanks
:usa
When I was living in NY I always wanted to ad a canopy to my 855. Eventually I decided against it. I was told by several people including a JD salesman, that in cold & windy areas they could be a problem in the winter causing a higher air speed under the canopy. And in the summer on very hot days with no wind, exhaust fumes can be drawn in & cause health issues with breathing in excessive exhaust.

Having said that, I would imagine it all depends on the tractor model to a large extent & the hood design. I have zero proof on any of the stuff I've been told. But because of the negative advice I got & the high cost of a canopy, I never got one. I know this is not answering your question. I'm just passing on what was told to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maddog
You have raised two points that I have not considered. In my case, I do not think either concern would be a problem. On this tractor, JD 2305, The exhaust is discharged low. But also, don't want to leave this Earth early. :lol:
Thanks

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
When I was living in NY I always wanted to ad a canopy to my 855. Eventually I decided against it. I was told by several people including a JD salesman, that in cold & windy areas they could be a problem in the winter causing a higher air speed under the canopy. And in the summer on very hot days with no wind, exhaust fumes can be drawn in & cause health issues with breathing in excessive exhaust.
Back when I was employed by a JD dealer I drove many JD tractors with ROP & canopy. I agree in wintertime the canopy adds to wind chill but I don't remember any exhaust fume problems IF muffler pipe extended above canopy.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I recently added a canopy to the 3320. Something that I had thought about for a while. Well, just after our first snowstorm of the season I was out scraping the driveway clean after snow blowing it with the 2320. It started sleeting. Although I just needed to make a few passes it was nice having a bit of weather protection from the freezing rain.

Here's a photo of the 3320 just after I added the canopy but before the winter changeover.

IMG_0015.JPG

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Tall door

I recently added a canopy to the 3320. Something that I had thought about for a while. Well, just after our first snowstorm of the season I was out scraping the driveway clean after snow blowing it with the 2320. It started sleeting. Although I just needed to make a few passes it was nice having a bit of weather protection from the freezing rain.

Here's a photo of the 3320 just after I added the canopy but before the winter changeover.

View attachment 284826
I see you are avoiding the ROPS into the door issue. It looks like you have plenty of clearance. Good move!

I've looked at a canopy several times but since I trailer my 790 quite a bit, it would have to be removable. It spends a fair amount of time in the woods as well, again requiring removing. So far, I haven't bit the bullet on it. Since I just got my chains, any other mods might have to wait.

In your part of the world I would look at some sort of wind break. Between that and the canopy, life would be much better in nasty weather.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I see you are avoiding the ROPS into the door issue. It looks like you have plenty of clearance. Good move!

I've looked at a canopy several times but since I trailer my 790 quite a bit, it would have to be removable. It spends a fair amount of time in the woods as well, again requiring removing. So far, I haven't bit the bullet on it. Since I just got my chains, any other mods might have to wait.

In your part of the world I would look at some sort of wind break. Between that and the canopy, life would be much better in nasty weather.

Treefarmer
This particular canopy is a John Deere item. It's got a rigid frame with heavy ROPS mounting brackets. I'd estimate it at ~ 80-90 Lbs. This is not something that you're going to easily R&R on a whim.

Installation took three adults to move and hold into position just to get the u-bolts started. Once I had the bolts in place I used a couple of 2x's to hold the front at the correct angle and tightened it up.

My 2320 with cab is used for the majority of snow removal. I use the 3320 with blade for scraping the driveway clean (hill) after snowblowing and also some dirt work.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
658 Posts

Treefarmer
Why? I have canopies on both of my utility tractors and where the ranch is, very common to have 80MPH winds. Trailer when needed, with the tractors loaded both forward and backwards and have had ZERO problems. If there is a problem, then most likely it is a canopy that you really wouldn't want anyway.

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I wouldn't know why there would be a problem hauling it on a trailer as long as it's not an umbrella type. As for fumes, it's diesel, what's not to like? :good2:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Rops

I wouldn't know why there would be a problem hauling it on a trailer as long as it's not an umbrella type. As for fumes, it's diesel, what's not to like? :good2:
I may be over cautious on the trailer issue. The tree issue is pretty real as I frequently run very close to trees, limbs etc. sometimes running right up to the rops and then backing out.

Doesn't really matter, I spent my money on chains. I'll give them a test fit tomorrow.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
I just installed a roof on my jd 2520 mcut. it was a FEMCO product. bought and ordered at my jd dealer. it cost was $457. i have not had it out, only a few times to test it out, till it turned cold here. one thing right off the bat, that i have to say, is-it is a LOT NOISIER now, sitting in the seat. it seems that the roof holds the noise that comes off the whine of well-everything. but like i said, i have not had a good chance to try it all out-yet. and this one is also able to be trailered up and down the road, according to salesman.

i looked at lots of different ones, and i guess the reason i choose this one-:dunno:not having to take it off, for hauling was the biggest reason. as i take my tractor to my son's house a lot. it was over at his house this summer, probably more than here. i have no pics of it on, as of yet. did i say it's cold here yet:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I just installed a roof on my jd 2520 mcut. it was a FEMCO product. bought and ordered at my jd dealer. it cost was $457. i have not had it out, only a few times to test it out, till it turned cold here. one thing right off the bat, that i have to say, is-it is a LOT NOISIER now, sitting in the seat. it seems that the roof holds the noise that comes off the whine of well-everything. but like i said, i have not had a good chance to try it all out-yet. and this one is also able to be trailered up and down the road, according to salesman.

i looked at lots of different ones, and i guess the reason i choose this one-:dunno:not having to take it off, for hauling was the biggest reason. as i take my tractor to my son's house a lot. it was over at his house this summer, probably more than here. i have no pics of it on, as of yet. did i say it's cold here yet:laugh:
Hey Big Jim,

Don't forget to wear your hearing protection. I noticed the same thing after installing my canopy. Always wear my Stihl headset radio for entertainment while I work (play) which keeps the external noise down.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Noise

Way back when we got our IH 784 and installed a canopy on that, we noticed the same thing. It's fairly noisy anyway but we ended up gluing acoustic tiles to the underside of the metal canopy. It's still uncomfortably loud if we run it at PTO speed so I keep a set of ear plugs handy.

Treefarmer

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
658 Posts
Install foam rubber on the underside, that pretty much eliminates the added noise from reverberating back down from the canopy. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
257 Posts
This canopy was actually for a straight back ROPS. I made new brackets from 3/16" plate for the foldable.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts