Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody, picked up a 2520 from a coworker and he kept this machine so clean it looked almost like showroom condition with a few exceptions. After owning it a few days I noticed a tiny spot of rust poking its head out from under one of the fenders at the corner of where the ROPS is connecting to it (size of a pea maybe) and that from him washing it all the time there is some rust inside the rear wheels where the two parts of the wheel were welded together (I assume inside and outside parts are welded during manufacturing?). I'm trying to figure out best way to clean up the tractor when it gets dirty and what you guys use to ensure the water from the washing doesn't lead to rust.

Should I just get some JD green (and yellow on Rims) touch up paint and apply it over the current few rust spots after wire brushing it a bit?

Also does anyone use wax or other protectant on hood? I've already noticed I got a few minor marks on hood (not down into pain) from a few twigs sliding across the hood when a few branches fell off my forks.

Hope I didn't miss this topic covered in another area.... I did a search and didn't see much related to washing. Please point me to the correct sub forum here if there is info on washing in another area.

·
Registered
674 Posts
how do you maintain your car finish........tractor is metal with paint...same principles apply.......

personally i use tractors as tools ...yes i like them to look good but thats damn near impossible when they are honest working tractors.....mine get hosed off when i go by the spigot to wash off dust and debris buildup.....powerwashed once or twice a year usually before i pull them in shop for maintenance .....biggest issue for me is keeping cab windows clean

i do keep mine under cover when not in use which is probably the best overall paint finish preserver and rust preventer

for a small yard tractor i would personally try not to over wash it and get water in bearings/electronics etc...i would probably blow it off with compressed air on driveway before pulling in garage and just wash it once in a while

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wash my tractor on a regular basis, and don't have rust.
Rust comes from ANY moisture- washing, humidity, rain, and especially running them on Winter roads. The road salts will do a number.

Another culprit- manufacturers (not just John Deere) have ceased priming the steel before painting. My dad's 5065E has numerous areas of heavy rust, and it has never been washed. It is kept inside a barn, but it has been run on Winter roads a few times.

The previous owner's practice of washing the tractor isn't the issue. It would happen, regardless. I have a close friend with a New Holland, and it's worse than our 5065E. It's kept in and enclosed garage, never washed, but gets run on Winter roads.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The only washing mine gets is from the snow while snow blowing! :laugh: Or if I get caught in the rain :dunno:

I blow it off with air hose after mowing to get the dust and clippings off, otherwise, it's a worker and it shows.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I'm a goober... I wash my tractor when it starts to look dirty and give it a good wax'n once a year. No clay bar though!!!!!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I blow my tractor off after each mowing, especially the exterior and interior radiator screens. It only gets a real bath once a year in the fall. I do some repainting every year. Tractor work will remove paint, even when you're careful.

When I repaint, I sand, clean with isopropyl alcohol (to make sure no grease or oil is present), prime, then paint. Some people just paint, but it won't hold up long term as well as when there's primer used.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I blow my tractor off after each mowing, especially the exterior and interior radiator screens. It only gets a real bath once a year in the fall. I do some repainting every year. Tractor work will remove paint, even when you're careful.

When I repaint, I sand, clean with isopropyl alcohol (to make sure no grease or oil is present), prime, then paint. Some people just paint, but it won't hold up long term as well as when there's primer used.

Thanks this is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for.

I just got this tractor so I'm sure I'm cleaning it more now than I will be a year from now. Over the winter I use an ATV to plow with so while this tractor isn't being used much I'll plan on doing the light sanding, cleaning with isopropyl, prime, then paint process!

Is there a paint type you suggest that matches up well with your tractor? Also what primer type have you had good luck with?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
For as long as I can remember I have been using Permatex Rust Reformer for those hard to reach places or if disassembly is not an option. It comes out white and turns black and after it dries it can be painted right over, and acts as a primer. They make it in a spray can but I have only used the liquid version.

If you get it in liquid form, you only pour out how much you need, you DO NOT put the unused portion back into the bottle. It will spoil the bottle. I just pour how much I think I need into a paper cup and brush it on.
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81773-Rust-Treatment-oz/dp/B000HBNX38/ref=asc_df_B000HBNX38/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312190122371&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13692669963289670962&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003551&hvtargid=pla-493168013743&psc=1

Rustoleum makes it as well but I cant vouch for how that holds up.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Thanks this is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for.

I just got this tractor so I'm sure I'm cleaning it more now than I will be a year from now. Over the winter I use an ATV to plow with so while this tractor isn't being used much I'll plan on doing the light sanding, cleaning with isopropyl, prime, then paint process!

Is there a paint type you suggest that matches up well with your tractor? Also what primer type have you had good luck with?
I've typically used the John Deere brand of paint and primer. It performs well. Colors are a good match. You can buy it on-line at Green Farm Parts or pick it up at your local dealer.

You can also buy Rustoleum spray paint at Tractor Supply. They have it in the official John Deere colors. On-line prices are about 20% less than the JD paint. I think it's even cheaper if you just buy it at the store, but I haven't checked it recently. I've had good luck with Rustoleum on other projects, but haven't tried it on the tractor or implements yet.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
I blow mine off frequently. I spray/hose it off less frequently. I wash it rarely. I polish the hood all the time!!

Sincerely

1 - 10 of 10 Posts