Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in a small subdivision served by a large commercial water company. For years we had the highest water rates in the state and some of the highest in the nation but a couple of years ago, the company was forced to normalize the rates which helped. They are still high but not quite as bad.

The last water bill showed a $20 jump which was odd because we hadn't done anything different and didn't have any leaks. The billing was for 32 days and the total usage was over the base rate so I called the company and asked what the heck was going on. They went through the whole "you might have a leak" and "check your toilet" stuff and then said they would send a tech out.

A year or so ago the company replaced all the meters which can now be read electronically from the street or manually. When the tech came, he had to ask where the meter was because with no one manually reading them, leaves and dirt had covered the box. He checked for leaks and we were good. Then he said he would pull a report showing usage by the hour and show it to me. He read the meter number, went to his truck and then came back with a funny look. The meter number wasn't the one showing on the account and the meter showed 133 while the report said 155. (I'm guessing that's thousand gallons.)

I know it's our meter as we replaced the supply line a few months ago and I hand dug both the meter and house sides and had a trencher do the rest. After replacing the leaking supply line, our usage dropped to under the base which was consistent with what I expected.

Any bets the company will try to come back and say we owe more money?

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
225 Posts
No bets. Water here is silly too. Municipal water from a large metro area was brought in some years ago. Massive supply pipe (you can drive through it) brings water to a central point and there splits to like 20 towns nearby. Most towns had their own wells and treatment facilities - all that went away. The bill went crazy to pay for the pipes / infrastructure changes, and more expensive city water.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
The meter number wasn't the one showing on the account and the meter showed 133 while the report said 155. (I'm guessing that's thousand gallons.)

That could be cubic feet. Around here most municipalities/water companies read meters in cubic feet instead of gallons. Its weird I know...

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That could be cubic feet. Around here most municipalities/water companies read meters in cubic feet instead of gallons. Its weird I know...
It would be weird because the rates are in gallons but anything is possible with this company.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
a lot of variables in your equation sir......be intresting to see how they reconcile the issue.......how ever they do it you obviously could have developed a leak/seep new service or not ....fyi in our area meters are cubic foot and cf =7.5gal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts