Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a new garden this year in my backyard and have ran into an issue with water standing in it making it difficult to get in and work. I have a small ditch(low area parallel) to the right of the garden on the low side but the whole back yard tends to stay saturated for a day or two when it rains. And right now it is raining every other day. I have not made any adjustments to the soil content like removal of original dirt or adding any topsoil or compost. Can the water issue be fixed by just changing out the soil makeup in the garden or will it require trenching ditches around the garden to help divert run off? I had a thought of digging out 2 ft of the garden and putting drainage rock and sand in the bottom 8-10" and then filling the top with topsoil and compost. My other thought is to trench a 12" ditch on the low side with a ditch cut in both corners to divert run off to the existing low area in the backyard.

·
Super Moderator
5,201 Posts
I doubt the drainage rock is going to help you and it would be a huge pain in the long run. You might find that amending your soil to add some sand when you till the area next time will help it drain faster. Depending on your soil composition, it may just not allow water to penetrate. Areas that are heavy on clay tend to run into that a lot. Mixing in sand prevents the clay from clumping and creating a non-porous layer.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't come up with an easy solution to keep the garden drained, so the plan this week (hopefully before the rain) is to move the garden to another part of the yard that is slightly sloped back towards the other garden location. There is a natural drain ditch between the two.

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
Couldn't come up with an easy solution to keep the garden drained, so the plan this week (hopefully before the rain) is to move the garden to another part of the yard that is slightly sloped back towards the other garden location. There is a natural drain ditch between the two.
GREENVA; well just more seat time, right!! that's what u wanted. :greentractorride::lolol:big jim

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,812 Posts
:thumbup1gif: I think you just did.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GREENVA; well just more seat time, right!! that's what u wanted. :greentractorride::lolol:big jim
sHHHHH, I think my wife is starting to catch on! :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,812 Posts
sHHHHH, I think my wife is starting to catch on! :lol:
That's almost the worst. When the wife says, "let me drive" THEN you'll be in real trouble. :lol:

Reactions: ColonyPark
1 - 7 of 7 Posts