Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First photo right after shut down. Second photo 10 minutes later. Should I drain and replace? Is this water or air? Thanks.
8350991C-EEEB-4D9B-91B0-6C411D638C7D.jpeg D095FF68-1E27-49D2-A578-ACF260D31CA4.jpeg Tractor is a 2320.

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
Try the sizzle test. Take a small sample (a teaspoon or so) and dump it into a hot frying pan. If it jumps around and bubbles and steams, then you have water. If it just spreads around and doesn’t do much, then no water.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try the sizzle test. Take a small sample (a teaspoon or so) and dump it into a hot frying pan. If it jumps around and bubbles and steams, then you have water. If it just spreads around and doesn’t do much, then no water.
Would you take it from the drain or suction it out from the top? I drained about 1/2 gallon out the other day and did not see any water in it. Thanks.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
Doesn’t matter if you do it right after using it. I suspect you don’t have an issue at all. You’re probably just seeing the normal aeration that happens during normal operation. But you asked, and I can’t be sure. The test will tell you if you have water or not. :good2:

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Not saying you may or may not have any water but, it certainly looks like any other sight gauge Ive seen when a machine is in use.

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
Granted I have a 2720 with red dye in the fluid but I have a similar sight glass and my fluid always appears crystal clear (with dye) even immediately after shutting the tractor off. I never see any discoloration or cloudiness.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sizzle tested alongside new oil from jug as a control. One or two very slight almost imperceptible pops from my tranny oil and none from control jug oil. Shook up jug oil and it also traps tiny air bubbles which contribute to opaque or milky appearance and settles out in the same time frame so I suspect the problem is a slight amount of moisture along with product naturally trapping microscopic air bubbles. Moisture might just be from natural condensation.

I guess I’ll shell out the price of a fluid and filter change so I can sleep at night. I really don’t like not having a dip stick on this model as that window does not seem to be very accurate. Level has been changing up and down since last fluid change about 60 hrs ago.

Tip: last time I used a magnetic pick up tool on an extension wand to run in the suction screen housing by the drain plug to pick up metal shavings that the magnets in the screen had missed. Also used it to help clean out the inside of the suction screen. Just had very small filings.

If you read this and have a 2320 does your sight glass go empty when you crank up and refill within a few minutes of shutting down and does the fluid appear creamy and opaque as soon as it refills the sight glass only to clear up in under ten minutes.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Water don't seperate....Looked at a sample I set aside months ago today while in the shed..Still looks like milk.

P{erhaps different types of hydro oil will seperate from water..IDK...mine did not.

Should I cook it just for fun?

Wessonality......those were good commercials back in the day:munch:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Water don't seperate....Looked at a sample I set aside months ago today while in the shed..Still looks like milk.

P{erhaps different types of hydro oil will seperate from water..IDK...mine did not.

Should I cook it just for fun?

Wessonality......those were good commercials back in the day:munch:
You might try popping some corn with it. Thanks, that settles it, I’m going out to bush me some hogs. I’ll convert that hygard fluid capital outlay to beer money. Thanks for cutting through the chase for me.

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts
Just curious, but to you regulary use the tractor for short periods of time and shut it down before getting the tranny up to full operating temperature so as to burn off any condensation?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious, but to you regulary use the tractor for short periods of time and shut it down before getting the tranny up to full operating temperature so as to burn off any condensation?
I’m usually on it for at least a couple of hours at a time. Right now it’s at my house for general maintenance so it’s only on and off. Will the tranny burn off condensation build up with extended use? If so I just need to put it back gear and get going again.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
I’m usually on it for at least a couple of hours at a time. Right now it’s at my house for general maintenance so it’s only on and off. Will the tranny burn off condensation build up with extended use? If so I just need to put it back gear and get going again.
There has to be more to it than this. My 2720 (admittedly a different model but still has the sight glass) is primarily used for snow removal and during the summer months gets started hundreds of times and only ran for a few minutes. This is because it shares a storage shed with EVERYTHING else and no matter what I do I must pull it outside first. I don't mow with it so even a driveway smoothing will only last 10 mins.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Would you take it from the drain or suction it out from the top? I drained about 1/2 gallon out the other day and did not see any water in it. Thanks.
your not always going to see oil if it has been mixed in if your using the trqactor. If you put the oil you took off in a clear container and let it sit for a day or two the water may separte. But why take a chance just drain it well and refill a lot cheaper than a new pump or gear box.

Reactions: Hotfeet

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks milky and milky means water in your oil.
I pulled some off the top right after shutdown with clear plastic tubing. It was opaque and milky looking but I could see air bubbles in it. It cleared up after about 7 minutes. I shook up some clear straight from the jug hygard and it became cloudy with bubbles and cleared up in the same time frame.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You might try popping some corn with it. Thanks, that settles it, I’m going out to bush me some hogs. I’ll convert that hygard fluid capital outlay to beer money. Thanks for cutting through the chase for me.

I'm not exacactly sure of your take on my post.

My thoughts are you are seeing air.......If any water was present ....From my home experimentation...The oil would NOT go back to clear-ish.

Yes I tossed in some personal thoughts....Not meant to be offensive in any way if taken that way..if not were good.

I get your issue completely as I have a Hydro Crane on a trailer that is contaminated...And can not find a way to clear all the bad oil from the 6 different systems...... 2 winches ,up ,down ,in,out,rotate and 1 extra.

Bottom line from my hillbilly analysis.....Water will not seperate from hydro oil.

Another member mentioned in a different thread that hydro oil is designed this way and a percentage of H2o is acceptable and basicly a forseen occurance......I like to see clean oil as do you...I'm still working on mine.

Yours may be in great shape and looks way better than my sample.

Dan in Oregon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
your not always going to see oil if it has been mixed in if your using the trqactor. If you put the oil you took off in a clear container and let it sit for a day or two the water may separte. But why take a chance just drain it well and refill a lot cheaper than a new pump or gear box.
Dang, there goes my beer money. Going to let it sit for 2 days and pull some off the bottom. My JD dealer is flooded out so i’ll need to drive to the next town over for oil.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

My thoughts are you are seeing air.......If any water was present ....From my home experimentation...The oil would NOT go back to clear-ish.

Yes I tossed in some personal thoughts....Not meant to be offensive in any way if taken that way..if not were good.

I get your issue completely as I have a Hydro Crane on a trailer that is contaminated...And can not find a way to clear all the bad oil from the 6 different systems...... 2 winches ,up ,down ,in,out,rotate and 1 extra.

Bottom line from my hillbilly analysis.....Water will not seperate from hydro oil.

Another member mentioned in a different thread that hydro oil is designed this way and a percentage of H2o is acceptable and basicly a forseen occurance......I like to see clean oil as do you...I'm still working on mine.

Dan in Oregon
Dan, I took zero offense, on the contrary I appreciate your input and that of everyone else as well, even though there seem to be two distinct schools of thought on the issue.

I am wondering what King Solomon would do? Maybe I should just change out half of the oil and be done with it. :laugh:

I’m going to mix a drop or too of water in a small container of oil and shake the Charles Dickens out of it to see what happens. PS I’m in Arkansas so hillbilly analysis is acceptable currency here. Seriously, thanks for your input.

Reactions: rtgt and theduke

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If you read this and have a 2320 does your sight glass go empty when you crank up and refill within a few minutes of shutting down and does the fluid appear creamy and opaque as soon as it refills the sight glass only to clear up in under ten minutes.
Yes, when running the sight glass will be empty.
Proper check is with all implements/3pt/loader lowered and engine off.
Can't say I've really looked close at it after running to check color/clarity, just a quick glance to see there is fluid in the glass.

Reactions: rtgt and Hotfeet

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Dan in Oregon
Dan, I mixed about 2 drops of water into a couple of ounces of new clear tranny oil and shook it up last night. Still hasn’t cleared this morning so I suspect you are right on the money. Read in another thread about the possibility of sucking air into the system at the tranny pump or filter. As those points were recently disconnected to replace a hydraulic pipe running from the filter I may need to revisit them but I would of sworn I made good connections at both.

Reactions: theduke and rtgt
1 - 20 of 30 Posts