Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooo. I bought a blue 50 gallon barrel yesterday at the flea market for 10 bucks. Pretty happy about that. I attached it to a pallet I had and installed a water hose spout in the bottom. I was hoping to fill with water, water and fertilizer, or what have you. I wanted to make a gravity waterer for my garden and apple trees. Idea being to raise pallet up high with forks, attach 25 foot hose with a quarter shut off valve on the user end of the hose, go plant to plant and water. I am disappointed in gravity. Just not enough flow, would be out there all day. So my question, what kind of pump could I bolt to the pallet to fix my problem? Need a pump that won’t burn up while hose valve is closed. Would love to have specific examples, never done this before.

·
Registered
783 Posts
To stop it from burning up you would just need a recirculation hose that dumps back in the top of the tank. You should be able to T it in right where your watering hose comes out, then you can the pump indefinitely. Are you wanting 12v or gas powered?

Edit: and how big is the current hose? I would think gravity fed should be plenty for that purpose, do you have a breather on the barrel?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going with a 12 volt. It is a ⅝ regular garden hose. Has two bungs on top with both removed.
So, when I open the valve on end of water hose to water, what keeps water from going into the recirculating end of tee.

·
Administrator
20,910 Posts
An RV water pump would work of 12vdc and have an automatic shutoff.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Im not a water tank expert, but I can't see why you couldnt go a simplier route and cap off top bungs and thread in a tire valve and throw a few pounds of pressure into the tank. I wouldnt go nuts, maybe 10-20 pounds or so, which should give you a decent flow. My only concern would be when the tank was half empty, the air pressure would be zero, and you would need to throw some more air into it.

Or am I over-simplifying things in a manner that simply isnt feasible? .

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An RV water pump would work of 12vdc and have an automatic shutoff.
There are so many to choose from, you have a suggestion on size or brand? Will a water hose hook up to one?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I was going with a 12 volt. It is a ⅝ regular garden hose. Has two bungs on top with both removed.
So, when I open the valve on end of water hose to water, what keeps water from going into the recirculating end of tee.
A pressure activated bypass valve should do it, you will want one that is low pressure, high flow, to match the 12v pump

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not a water tank expert, but I can't see why you couldnt go a simplier route and cap off top bungs and thread in a tire valve and throw a few pounds of pressure into the tank. I wouldnt go nuts, maybe 10-20 pounds or so, which should give you a decent flow. My only concern would be when the tank was half empty, the air pressure would be zero, and you would need to throw some more air into it.

Or am I over-simplifying things in a manner that simply isnt feasible? .
Actually, I thought about this and came up with same worries. How long would pressure last and how often would I need to refill. I just thought the tractor has that nifty 12 volt cigarette lighter plug right there. Would love to just have a simple pump that would pump when water hose is opened and shut off when it is closed. Nothing fancy, or even strong, just a decent flow.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Add a switch to the pump wire where ever it would be convenient to turn it on and off.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
Add a switch to the pump wire where ever it would be convenient to turn it on and off.
and/or just stick the hose back in the barrel.

Reactions: Toughsox and Yank

·
Administrator
20,910 Posts
There are so many pumps available out there, it’s not funny. Here’s one I found on Amazon that fits your bill.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The link didn’t work, but thanks anyways buddy!

·
Administrator
20,910 Posts
I fixed the link, but it was the first pump that kinda fits what you’re looking for. They range in price wildly based on manufacturers and capabilities.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't get a pretty good flow out of the barrel. Is it possible there's an obstruction? You won't get a lot of pressure but it should be a good flow out of the hose. There is a significant difference between gravity flow out of a hose and what comes out at 30-40 psi.

Northern Tool has a bunch of pumps both for sprayers and transfer. Some of the spray pumps are demand driven and cut off if you shut off flow.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
fwiw.....you gain about .4 psi of water pressure per foot of fall......we water trees all the time in the method you mention....yep its slow....cures are.....raise the tank higher....make the hose bigger....or get the pump....you have recieved a lot of suggestions on pumps.......and a suggestion on air pressurizing the drum (i have tried this and you can only gain a couple of psi not worth the effort pluse when the pressure runs out very quickly you have no venting etc)

we stayed with gravity it gives the moisture time to soak in a bit if your needing more flow get a bigger spigot and hose diameter......if you need to spray it you will require a pump

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here’s my set up. Gravity with 3/4 open valve fills a 5 gallon bucket in 15 seconds when full and slows down to a minute at 10 gallon left in the tank. The one inch pump will fill a 5 gallon bucket in 13 seconds at half throttle with the 5/8 garden hose. It’s capable of 30 gallon a minute with one inch hose on both ends
4AC6BB3C-E1DD-497F-89E1-7A43A33C73F1.jpeg
A6EB89A1-2AA5-42EB-B227-F58CD91E7F55.jpeg

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This is what I came up with. Used the idea of a bypass so the pump could keep running (thank you Satch). Only thing more I would like to do to it is replace alligator battery clips with something more secure and install an On/Off switch.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to control the bypass manually. I would love to get a bypass valve but I can’t figure out which one I need.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts