Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tractor is going to be delivered this week, so I'm getting my materials together for the ballast box.

Each small bag of Quikrete Portland is .5 cubic feet, so I'll need 10 of them to fill the box. Normal water ratio would be a bit over a gallon per cubic foot of material, so 5-6 total.

I'm a little puzzled as to how 470# of powder and 50# of water turns into 894# of mix (per the JD chart).

Am I missing something or do you add a LOT more water to pure Portland compared to concrete mix?

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,561 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^^^^^^

Your weight seems more in line with my estimate. It just doesn’t seem like the JD chart showing 894# is anywhere close to reality. If 500 is more realistic for the Portland fill, I may save the mess and use 10 bags of pea gravel.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I can't answer your question how 470 lbs. of powder and 50 lbs. of water turn into 894 lbs. of mix, good question though. I can say that I weighed mine recently and it came in over 650 lbs. filled about 4" from the top. Here is the thread to mine, Filling the Ballast Box With Concrete

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^^

That also makes sense. The empty box weights somewhere between 130-150 depending on which reference you look at.

I'd venture to guess that most users have less than 700#(some a lot less than that) of total ballast on the back and have never weighed it. I don't mind doing the Portland if it really gets me a substantial advantage, but pea rock is a lot easier to work with if it provides the same final result.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts