Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first posting here, and would like to report of a change I made to my 1999 JD345 tractor. Replacing the stock in-line filter with a Kubota #6A320-58862 water separator filter assembly. Here are some photos on how I made the change-over.

Sorry about the dual linking. Will post the photos tomorrow.

·
Administrator
17,130 Posts
Welcome to DT:clap:

You really shouldn't link to another website...post your pictures here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm back after a few days away from the computer.

I was having some problems with what I would consider moisture getting to the JD 345 carburetor. We all know what the factory "in-line" filter does...just to collect "some" of the dirt. trash, or foreign matter before it gets to the fuel pump. So, after doing some searching, I came up with the water separator filter that is on a Kubota tractor. It is #6A320-58862...about $18.00.

To get the item mounted on the 345, I had to do some modifications.
#1... Fabricated a piece of flat steel to mount to the bracket under the battery on the left side...about the same located the in-line filter was located.

Just happen to have such a section of flat stock with holes that matched the holes on the battery bracket. Photo here.. Painted black.

#2... Removed the factory in-line filter as shown here.

#2... Here is the new filter assembly mounted on the new bracket. The gasoline "inlet" is on the left side of the filter, and "outlet" in of course on the right side. NOTE: There is also a "flow-back" fitting at the top of the filter. This is for the Kubota tractor with the fuel injections system. There;s no need for this to be "hosed", so it can be plugged. In my case, I put on a 1/8" I.D. hose with two (2) Zip-ties. Do not use metal hose clamp here, and plug the open in with a bolt or something to keep the gas from flowing out.

#4... Here is the filter with 3/8" I.D. hose with two (2) Zip-ties. Always use two zip ties on fuel hoses.

#5...This photo shows the filter with gasoline and engine running. No leaks.

#6... This photo hows the completed job. All button up and ready to mow...or whatever.

#7. Here is the actual photo on the filter that is replaceable. Just unscrew and empty the water out or replace the filter...cost about $10.00.

#8... diagram of the parts in the assembly

Anyone have any questions. I'll try answer them.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
OK, I will bite, why only cable ties for clamps? And very nicely done. Good job!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Randy, you can use the clamps if you prefer on the main fuel lines, but, the flow-back hose you have to plug, there's no way you can use a clamp. The space is too small, and Zip ties works much better here. BTW. if you use the old 1/4" I.D. hose you have now, you must use a plastic, brass connector/nipple to connect the 1/4" and 3/8" hoses. This will require a metal clamp on the 1/4" hose side.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice job! That looks like a diesel fuel filter. It's hard to believe that the whole filter assembly is $18.00. Not a bad price! I started to use the marine Stabil in all my stuff to counteract the ethanol. Seems to help out the stuff that gets stored over the winter.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Randy, you can use the clamps if you prefer on the main fuel lines, but, the flow-back hose you have to plug, there's no way you can use a clamp. The space is too small, and Zip ties works much better here. BTW. if you use the old 1/4" I.D. hose you have now, you must use a plastic, brass connector/nipple to connect the 1/4" and 3/8" hoses. This will require a metal clamp on the 1/4" hose side.
Got it, thanks. Again nice job. Looks like factory.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Nice job! That looks like a diesel fuel filter. It's hard to believe that the whole filter assembly is $18.00. Not a bad price! I started to use the marine Stabil in all my stuff to counteract the ethanol. Seems to help out the stuff that gets stored over the winter.
I used to use Stabil...never again. The only gas items I owned at the time was my Chainsaw and Mantis tiller.....the Stabil FUBARED my mantis...not permanantly; I had to take it apart and clean the carb...all gummed up. Now I use Seafoam...works awesome. Mantis started on the 2nd pull.

Sad part is I used to make fun of my dad all the time cause he swore by Seafoam. Now I'm a believer. Same with one of my work buds...

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I used to use Stabil...never again. The only gas items I owned at the time was my Chainsaw and Mantis tiller.....the Stabil FUBARED my mantis...not permanantly; I had to take it apart and clean the carb...all gummed up. Now I use Seafoam...works awesome. Mantis started on the 2nd pull.

Sad part is I used to make fun of my dad all the time cause he swore by Seafoam. Now I'm a believer. Same with one of my work buds...
Please elablorate on the Stabil. Are you absolutly sure it was the Stabil or the "use of" or "lack of proper use"? I am using Sea Foam and Stabil with no ill effects of either. Actually, I have been using Stabil for 20 years in everything, cars and small engines without any problems. So you can see my curiosity with your statement. Incidently, there is a shelf life on Stabil.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hmm... I used the reccomended dosage...was a brand new bottle.... gas was 2 stroke mix, 50:1 using Super Unleaded and Husqvarna branded oil (the pre measured bottles). Tiller was running fine all summer, but when I started it up the next spring she had ZERO power and would reach max RPM...... Took it apart and found reddish gummy crap in the carb....cleaned what I could get to with Carb cleaner, flushed fuel tank and refilled with new gas/oil mix and a good dose of Seafoam. Ran the tiller as much as I could and in about 20 mins she woke up and came to life again.
Dunno if I got a bad bottle of stabil or what, but I was not impressed. Since then I'm a seafoam guy. Had no issues last year with winter storage and seafoam.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I had problems with Stabil (the red stuff). It would have little red crystals form and mess things up. It may have been the shelf life issue, I don't know. I use the Briggs and Stratton (green stuff). Only used SeaFoam once, it seems like the stuff to use when things run rough or don't run at all. So I guess I see SeaFoam as a repair tool and not a maintainence tool ?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I use the blue stabil and have never had an issue. I also drain anything that will sit for more than a few months if its possible. Therer are so many variables when mixing oils/gas/gas additive, that just about anything could have happened to Dave. It could have been dirt, but to me, having something like stabil is better than nothing.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had problems with Stabil (the red stuff). It would have little red crystals form and mess things up. It may have been the shelf life issue, I don't know. I use the Briggs and Stratton (green stuff). Only used SeaFoam once, it seems like the stuff to use when things run rough or don't run at all. So I guess I see SeaFoam as a repair tool and not a maintainence tool ?
From the Seafoam site: "As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture."

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

I dunno Brian. Afer my experience with Stabil, I'd rather go with nothing at all...it was a major PITA to get my mantis running again. Of course it doesnt help SWMBO was standing there asking what was taking so long cause she wanted to get the flower bed in.....:laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on the Stabil. And you are correct, the Sea Foam does way more than stabilize. I myself am moving more to the use of Sea Foam than Stabil. With the poorer quality of gas and the addition of ethonal it really keeps us on our toes to store things. Thanks again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For what its worth i put seafoam in my gas can before filling and run it in all of my small engines. For 2 stroke, i use the Echo or Husqvarna oil that contains stabilizer. I cant say i have enough years on my equipment to determine if i find it sufficient though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts