Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My state DNR has levied a requirement on me to have a minimum 300 gallon water tank (mobile) to accomplish some activities that I need to do. I have been trying to figure out how to do it at minimum cost and thus hope to re-purpose an older trailer as the water wagon. The trailer I am looking at is not large but the concern is the axle rating. How do you determine the axle rating on an older trailer (this one happens to be from a SA-200 welder thus my concern) Is there a stamp on the axle somewhere with that information? If I turn my equipment trailer into the water wagon then I can't move the other equipment that is normally transported on it and I would like to make this a permanent fixture that I do not have to remove and reinstall.
Tank will be a horizontal leg tank 36" diameter and 68" long.
Ideas???

·
Administrator
18,299 Posts
Wow, 300 gallons is a heavy tank! This is not for on-road use is it?

I think looking at the tire/wheel size, hub size, and lug spacing might get you close to a rating if you you compare that info to say a Dexter Axle.

You going to need a 3k rated axle for that rig at minimum.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, 300 gallons is a heavy tank! This is not for on-road use is it?
The best tank I have found is a 325 gallon tank thus 2710 lbs water plus tank tare of 100 lbs plus pump for 20lbs or so plus hoses. This gives total weight around 2850 lbs.

You are pretty close with your 3K axle statement.

That is why I am trying to find out how to determine axle ratings.

I don't feel comfortable going with the 5 lugs = 3500lb
6 lugs = 5200lb and 8 lugs = 7000lb idea as I am not certain that there are not axles lighter than that with 5 lugs.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I don't believe that I've ever seen a stamped axel revealing weight capacity. You might want to measure the 'leafs' and count their number then compare against some catalogs. Or check with a "Spring" Shop. It's not an exact science! You still aren't going to know the spring temper, or how 'tired' they are. I don't know the purpose of the rig. If you're doing a 'controlled burn', you are likely to be on earthen trails. I be equally concerned about the ground pressure on the two tire 'footprints'. Last thing you need is having it sink into the mud! You may need to re-axle and might consider tamdems with wider tires......... Keep us posted! ~Scotty

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Assuming this is for off road use, what will you tow it with? All of your axle ratings are intended for on road weights, not bouncing through fields and woods. That's a lot harder on equipment.

I'd look for at least a 5200 lb axle. Some will have their ratings on a tag on the axle shaft but it can be hard to read, especially if you're crawling under a used trailer.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I'd go with two 3000# axles. You need the 5K+ rating because in off road use, there will be times when one side of the trailer will take a hit. I'd go two axles so that you don't sink the wheels in the ground.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts