Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have plants/bushes/garden/trees all over the property that need to be watered from time to time. I've had a few different ways over the years to get the water from the barrels to the plants but usually involved a lot of work and slow pumps. I thought I would share my latest "contraption" that I set up for moving the water.

In my yard wagon I strap a 45 (55us) gallon drum, small 1,000 watt generator, and my new pump. I bought a small self contained jet pump and pressure tank. This way Mrs. C can use a regular garden hose and spray nozzle.

There is about 12 feet of suction hose with a foot valve and strainer that drops into the water. The foot valve holds the prime in the system. There was about a week between uses and it still held it's prime so it is tight.

To fill the drum on the wagon I drop the suction line into the rain barrels around my buildings.

And open the valve to the transfer line, which is a 1" and it moves about 15 gallons per minute so I can transfer a drum of water in about 3 minutes. The other 1" valve you see on the suction line is where I prime the line if needed, but like I said it is holding water tight. But if I let it suck air, well it's nice to be able to prime it back easy so the valve works great.

All in all, I am pleased with the set up. I just have to figure out some better hooks and such like, and maybe a handle on the assembly for moving in on and off the trailer.

·
Super Moderator
6,098 Posts
Could you mount all of those on a pallet and then just lift the pallet into or out of the trailer as needed? That'd be easier than loading each item individually.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Dedicated trailer would be my vote.
mount all of those on a pallet and then just lift the pallet
This is what I do. IBC Tote. Stole it from watching Tim. Works awesome and set one up for my Uncle. He lets down spots from rain fill it up and tops it off with hose if its not full. Picks it up and goes watering.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I do. IBC Tote. Stole it from watching Tim. Works awesome and set one up for my Uncle. He lets down spots from rain fill it up and tops it off with hose if its not full. Picks it up and goes watering.
Cool, I don't think my little 1026R would do that very well though. :D

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
I made one too holds 450 gals has a Gasoline operated Honda Pump that puts out 72 GPM @ 50 PSI. I added a 50 ft garden hose and a 100' one inch Forestry Fire Hose and Adjustable Nozzle. Put it all on my Military 1995 M1078 2 1/2 ton truck. Been having fun setting it up. Used my 4044M to put the tank in the bed. So for now it is a Wildfire Engine for protection around our place. Been pulling a well up 427 ft with my Loader. Then replaced it all with a new pump and pipe. Quite the project to remove and put in a well this deep! Made all the tools to do the job and the roller worked great to lower it and not mess up the wire and pipe.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made one too holds 450 gals has a Gasoline operated Honda Pump that puts out 72 GPM @ 50 PSI. I added a 50 ft garden hose and a 100' one inch Forestry Fire Hose and Adjustable Nozzle. Put it all on my Military 1995 M1078 2 1/2 ton truck. Been having fun setting it up. Used my 4044M to put the tank in the bed. So for now it is a Wildfire Engine for protection around our place. Been pulling a well up 427 ft with my Loader. Then replaced it all with a new pump and pipe. Quite the project to remove and put in a well this deep! Made all the tools to do the job and the roller worked great to lower it and not mess up the wire and pipe. View attachment 787259 View attachment 787260 View attachment 787256 View attachment 787257 View attachment 787258
I love it!! Love the truck too man!

Reactions: trav and JD4044M

·
Registered
246 Posts
My only observation is to be careful with that water sloshing above your generator. They look pretty close in the photos. It doesn't take much water in a generator end to give it a bad day. It looks like she has good pressure. I am jealous my house just give me a dribble at my hose.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
With my set up I can fill it from my Lake and the sides fold down to expose the 2" Cam/Loc and valve. I can slip a 2" draft hose into it and fast fill remote big Cattle water troughs out the side. I later used stronger Ratchet Straps to hold the tank down better off road.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My only observation is to be careful with that water sloshing above your generator. They look pretty close in the photos. It doesn't take much water in a generator end to give it a bad day. It looks like she has good pressure. I am jealous my house just give me a dribble at my hose.
Yes the water and power make me a little nervous too. The other day I was watering by myself down a path in the woods and I was too lazy to roll up the garden hose going between trees, so I just put the nozzle into the drum and drove along, the nozzle was locked in the on position with a small ball valve shut off turned off. The nozzle fell out of the drum and on the way out it nudged the shut off valve opening up the spray and when it fell to the ground it was spraying directly onto the front of the generator while it was running. Oh sh*t, quick, shut off the generator then the water and my heart rate had to slow down a little too. So yes, that is something I need to work out for sure.

The other thing that I wonder about is if a guy should have some sort of ground on the generator. I suppose I could have a short rod that could be stepped into the earth, but that would be a pain since we move all the time when doing the watering.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
I added a 500-1,000 lb Rated Crane I modified for lifting things like the Water Pump, Generator, Logs ETC. Built it a base to go into the 4 pockets on the Bed Corners.
Waiting for the Winch to get here to mount on the boom still. Just been tinkering with it and a Parade next week with 2 American FLAGS Waving in the air mounted on the front corners of the bed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I use a TSC carryall with 2x6 treated I built a couple years ago, with a 250 gallon IBC on top it. Photo below. Works great, as long as I don't fill it all the way up. Typically, I only need about 50-100 gallons at a time, when I irrigate. Since the photo, I switched to a 1 inch rubber hose. Works MUCH better!

Reactions: Carvel Loafer
1 - 13 of 13 Posts