Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seven acres and my wife likes to plant flowers and shrubs all over it. My problem is watering them. Do they make a water tank with a long hose and a pump without the boom? I guess what I am looking for is a tank, hose, and nozzle on wheels. Any ideas?

Reactions: Robnik and pcabe5

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I have seven acres and my wife likes to plant flowers and shrubs all over it. My problem is watering them. Do they make a water tank with a long hose and a pump without the boom? I guess what I am looking for is a tank, hose, and nozzle on wheels. Any ideas?
Do you have a trailer? If so, look at the IBC 275 gallon totes, easy to plumb, and depending on where you're located, $60 to $100 cheep for 275 gallon.

When I get to the point of needing one that's the direction I'll head. I have lots of landscaping stuff coming up soon, and to me this looks like it would beat a hose.

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
Here is a 31-gallon model without a boom from Northern Tool. Something like this should work quite well. By adjusting the tip on the wand (or removing it) you should be able to get a sufficient stream for watering. The plus side is you still have a nice tow behind sprayer for other duties.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200645939_200645939

You just need to decide if 31-gallons is enough or do you need bigger / smaller... understanding that you will be towing it with a X580 lawn tractor.

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
Do you have a trailer? If so, look at the IBC 275 gallon totes, easy to plumb, and depending on where you're located, $60 to $100 cheep for 275 gallon.

When I get to the point of needing one that's the direction I'll head. I have lots of landscaping stuff coming up soon, and to me this looks like it would beat a hose.
I was going to recommend something like that as well but he only lists a X580 in his signature. Even only half full the 275 gallon tote is over 1100 pounds.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I was going to recommend something like that as well but he only lists a X580 in his signature. Even only half full the 275 gallon tote is over 1100 pounds.
Will not argue with your points, other than one doesn't need to fill it full! :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Here is a 31-gallon model without a boom from Northern Tool. Something like this should work quite well. By adjusting the tip on the wand (or removing it) you should be able to get a sufficient stream for watering. The plus side is you still have a nice tow behind sprayer for other duties.

NorthStar Tow-Behind Trailer Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer — 31-Gallon Capacity, 2.2 GPM, 12 Volt DC | Trailer Sprayers| Northern Tool + Equipment

You just need to decide if 31-gallons is enough or do you need bigger / smaller... understanding that you will be towing it with a X580 lawn tractor.
Just be aware that those types of pull-behind sprayers don't put out a lot of volume, regardless of what type of tip you use. This one linked says 2.2 gallons per minute 'open flow', which I assume is the max. If you're trying to pull water around to plantings you probably want something faster than that.

The 275 gallon totes seem like a great solution for cheap bulk water moving. I've thought about getting one (a local place has them for about $80) but I just don't have a need at present. For the OP, even a plain 55 gallon barrel mounted in a small utility trailer will gravity feed fast enough to be useful for plant watering with the right size spigot.

Rob

·
Registered
913 Posts
My wife is also into planting on our 5.6 acres. My real problem with that is having to mow and edge around all the shrubs and trees. And, that's all year round since I overseed with winter rye. At least the watering is just 3 seasons.

I started with a 25 gallon tank I carried around on the pallet forks and watered with gravity. That did not last long as gravity feed took way too long. And with 25 gallons I had to refill at least four times in order to get water to everything. Next came a 12 volt pump added to the unit. That shortened the emptying time but the refills were the same. Then came a larger tank holding 40 gallons, and then both the 40 and 25 gallon tanks together, which pretty much maxed out the front end loader.

After close to two years of that, I finally had 4 freezeless yard hydrants added near the middles of the 4 sides of the property. Since the spousal plantings are along outside perimeters of the pasture fences and in the aisles in between, or around the barn and house near the center of the rectangle, now I have piped in water sources close enough to use hoses for 95 percent of the plant watering. The hydrants, pipes, trenching and installation labor, plus 8 sprinklers and controller to cover a riding arena next to the barn and labor were about $2,200.

For me, money well spent.:gizmo:

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, guys, left out an important part. I have a 2038R coming in a few weeks. I do not have a traitor to put it on, probably would like to find a combo deal. This summer I would put roughly 40 or 50 gallons in several containers in my little model 80 wagon and distribute it by 5 gallon bucket. Not fun. Keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I collect rain water from my barn into 2 old fertilizer tanks, 230 gallons total. I run a hose to the gardens. Gravity feed was too slow. Tanks are about 5 feet in the air. I added a broken jet pump I repaired. Good flow now. I'm thinking about burying black plastic pipe out there now.

You could put an IBC tote on a small trailer. Northern tool and HF both sell smaller ones pretty cheap or find someone with a snowmobile trailer with a bad bed. Just use boards to support the tote.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I have four sixty gallon rain barrels I collect water in. I then use a small drill pump to pump the water out into a 35 gallon tank strapped to a hitch carrier on the back of my 1025r. I just gravity feed the water out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Since the OP is getting a tractor capable of pulling a tote, I'll add my question to his....

Like the OP, I have a need to water some grass and plants a good distance (400') from the closest spigot. What would be a good way to hook up some sort of pump to supply a sprinkler to water larger areas?

Sorry to hijack, but maybe this help the OP as well.

Reactions: Yank

·
Registered
825 Posts
Below is my watering rig, I pump from the pond and park where water is needed. Trailer, 300gal tank, generator, electric pump.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Below is my watering rig, I pump from the pond and park where water is needed. Trailer, 300gal tank, generator, electric pump.

I got a Honda WX15 4-stroke gas powered pump. This thing will move around 47 gallons a minute with the 1.5" hoses. It only weighs about 20 lbs so it's easy to move around. The only downside is the cost. Pump was around $500 and the hose kit was close to $200. Kit came with a red plastic spray nozzle, metal strainer, 25' suction & 50' discharge hoses. The pump comes with a yellow plastic strainer but the holes in it are way too big. With the nozzle on you could use it to put out a fire.
Pump would be perfect for a watering trailer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, what about a pto connected water tank. Do they make those? That would take the trailer out of the equation. The tractor has a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket. Maybe a tank with a pump to work off of that?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Guys, what about a pto connected water tank. Do they make those? That would take the trailer out of the equation. The tractor has a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket. Maybe a tank with a pump to work off of that?

You could probably get a 3 point hitch hauler and attach some kind of tank. That would get rid of the need for a trailer.

Another good pump is the 18 volt battery powered Milwaukee. My FSIL bought one for his HVAC business. The pump is set up to use regular garden hoses. We usually use it to drain boilers and water heaters. I even used it to suck the water out of an old cast iron radiator. Just the other day I used it to suck about 6" of water out of an air handler base.
Not sure what the gallons per minute is on this pump. However it shoots water out of the hose better then some houses. Might not be the best pump for filling a large tank but ideal for unloading it.

Reactions: Tomfive and Yank

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have 18 volt Milwaukee tools. I would fill this tank from the house well, the garden hose. I need to check that out. All I would need then is a tank set up for a 3 point hitch. Can't seem to find one.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have 18 volt Milwaukee tools. I would fill this tank from the house well, the garden hose. I need to check that out. All I would need then is a tank set up for a 3 point hitch. Can't seem to find one.
Your x580 has a 3 point hitch? Don't think I've seen that setup. Got a pic?

ETA: Never mind. I didn't recall your mention of a 2038 coming. Carry on...

Rob

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Don't overthink a couple of relatively easy solutions:

1) pickup a Tractor Supply Carryall ($149) put a deck on it of your choice. Grab a couple of plastic 55 gallon barrels about ($20 ea), plumb them together, add a pump and you're off an running. Be careful with the weight rating, by the time you get your deck, barrel, pump and accessories, you would be bumping (or exceeding) the 1K weight capacity. If you have a fabricator shop close, they could build one pretty easily to exceed your tractor's lifting capacity (1,356#)

2) You didn't mention whether your new ride will have a loader, but it's lift capacity (1,120#) would be nearly the same as the carry all. Add a couple of Kens Hooks and/or clevis mounts and a strap to keep the barrels under control and you could haul water up front. (Of course the usual safety warnings about proper ballast apply.) Depending on how you plumb in the discharge hose, it would not be out of the question to gravity the water to the plants.

I'm sure you'll come up with something...

Reactions: keane and Tomfive

·
Registered
825 Posts
I got a Honda WX15 4-stroke gas powered pump. This thing will move around 47 gallons a minute with the 1.5" hoses. It only weighs about 20 lbs so it's easy to move around. The only downside is the cost. Pump was around $500 and the hose kit was close to $200. Kit came with a red plastic spray nozzle, metal strainer, 25' suction & 50' discharge hoses. The pump comes with a yellow plastic strainer but the holes in it are way too big. With the nozzle on you could use it to put out a fire.
Pump would be perfect for a watering trailer.
I bought a nib pump at an estate sale this spring specifically for the trailer, I hated priming the stupid thing and went back to the generator and electric water pump. I really like my mobile setup. Not to mention it keeps the generator fresh between power outages.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Back to the original post: I have a question.

How do you want to apply water to the plants in your situation?

At one end of the spectrum would be a fire hose, in the middle would be a sprinkle like a good rain , and at the other end would be a mist.:raindance:

The fire hose would put out a large volume in a short time, but there would likely be a lot of runoff, and the other options could put out the same volume of water, but over a longer time, likely with better soil penetration. What's your goal?

Reactions: Tomfive
1 - 20 of 27 Posts