Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm considering building a light wooden frame/walls around a wooden pallet to use as a deep light weight materials bucket for seaweed. This will fit a lot more material than my 53 inch bucket can which is usually heaped high and many times I lose some material. thinking of having a removable front wall on the gate for dumping after it's full.

It will be filled to the top, and then dumped, and then refilled again. Ideally I'd like to keep the high walled pallet attached to the forks for most of the operation, with capability to remove it if needed.

I plan on lifting it with my 42 inch artillian pallet forks

Has anyone ever seen a device or improvised some way to keep the pallet from falling off the forks when you put the forks into the "dump" position? Some kind of stop/retainer?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nylon tie down strap? Run it through the pallet and through the frame?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I hook a tie-down between the pallet and the bottom of the fork frame.

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got done building a dump box just like you were talking about so i hope this helps you out. My wooden box is a little on the big side (8'x4' weighing in around 350 pounds) but i needed that amount of room for when i pick up sticks and the ability to throw my chippings into the box from the chipper. I also wanted a system for it to fold down so it would not take up much room. This dump box is not meant to hold a lot of weight but meant to hold a lot of lightweight items like sticks, leaves, wood chippings, ect. I built this entire dump box for around $350.00. You can go cheaper by not painting it or adding a plexiglass window or dollies. You can make it any size you wish but here are all the parts needed (assuming you already have the pallet forks).
Material list:
3/4" 8'x4' plywood, need 4
2x4, need 6
4" door hinges with removable pins, need 10
30" piano hing, need 3
cam buckle tie down, need 2
ratchet straps, need 2
24"x18" 1/4" thick plexi- optional window
3" swivel caster, need 4, optional for building dollies
Box of deck screws
Wood glue

Finished box
Box.jpg
Dumping the box
Box_dump.jpg
Box in folded position:
Box Fold.jpg
Box attached to pallet frame with ratchet straps:
Top_Look_down.jpg
Another angle of the ratchet straps:
frame.jpg
Folded and on the dollies that slide on. Only 6" deep when folded:
stand.jpg
My stick pile! I had 3 of these by the time i was finished.
0226171343.jpg

Hope you like it and helps you out with your project. Questions let me know.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just got done building a dump box just like you were talking about so i hope this helps you out. My wooden box is a little on the big side (8'x4' weighing in around 350 pounds) but i needed that amount of room for when i pick up sticks and the ability to throw my chippings into the box from the chipper. I also wanted a system for it to fold down so it would not take up much room. This dump box is not meant to hold a lot of weight but meant to hold a lot of lightweight items like sticks, leaves, wood chippings, ect. I built this entire dump box for around $350.00. You can go cheaper by not painting it or adding a plexiglass window or dollies. You can make it any size you wish but here are all the parts needed (assuming you already have the pallet forks).
Material list:
3/4" 8'x4' plywood, need 4
2x4, need 6
4" door hinges with removable pins, need 10
30" piano hing, need 3
cam buckle tie down, need 2
ratchet straps, need 2
24"x18" 1/4" thick plexi- optional window
3" swivel caster, need 4, optional for building dollies
Box of deck screws
Wood glue

Finished box
View attachment 321170
Dumping the box
View attachment 321178
Box in folded position:
View attachment 321186
Box attached to pallet frame with ratchet straps:
View attachment 321194
Another angle of the ratchet straps:
View attachment 321218
Folded and on the dollies that slide on. Only 6" deep when folded:
View attachment 321210
My stick pile! I had 3 of these by the time i was finished.
View attachment 321234

Hope you like it and helps you out with your project. Questions let me know.

Nice first post and :wgtt:

Reactions: wentonbrown

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ratchet strap around the pallet fork frame and through a D-ring bolted to each side of the dump box works for me.
box4.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts