Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I put a branch in my wc46 and let r rip- it sucked it in part way but it got jammed - infeed roller just spins whether in foreward or reverse

I used a tool (pickaxe) to try to pry the limb up and down or side to side and it does lift up but the roller won’t release it

How do I get the thing out ?

How do I release the rollers grab on the limb ? It’s about 4 inch diameter

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've had this happen at least twice. The first time I loosened the nuts on the two eyebolts, one on each side that keep tension on the springs that keep downward tension on the infeed roller. I also loosened and removed the bed plate on the side because that was resisting pulling the branch out. Get a bar in under the roller and lift up while pulling on the limb.
One time I was able to lift the roller enough with a full size crow bar to get the limb out without doing the above. There's no sure solution, you have to assess the situation and hack at it until you get it out.

I've learned that if the limb is big enough that you're not sure it will go it's better to throw it aside. It's less work disposing of it another way that dealing with a serious jam. I've had some surprisingly large limbs go right through, but if there's a curve to it or a bulge in just the right spot you can end up with a problem.

Reactions: Kbar and Treefarmer

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have had this same issue and I just put the infeed roller in reverse and use my Crow bar to move it around. I keep the crow bar on the tractor during the chipping season for this reason. Several times I feed in a branch I know will not completely go through. I feed it in in from the skinny end until it stops and reverse the feed when it stops. One other thing you could try is to start putting the chute in the storage position, it will probably move a few inches up and down and with the feed roller in the reverse position it might start coming out.

Reactions: DBCSteve

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Try the heimlich maneuver. She’s a big girl but if you can get your arms around her...

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've used a long crow bar to either lever it out or to lift the roller enough to pull it out. Always keep a crow bar in the FEL now when running the WC46. Done for the season though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had this happen at least twice. The first time I loosened the nuts on the two eyebolts, one on each side that keep tension on the springs that keep downward tension on the infeed roller. I also loosened and removed the bed plate on the side because that was resisting pulling the branch out. Get a bar in under the roller and lift up while pulling on the limb.
One time I was able to lift the roller enough with a full size crow bar to get the limb out without doing the above. There's no sure solution, you have to assess the situation and hack at it until you get it out.

I've learned that if the limb is big enough that you're not sure it will go it's better to throw it aside. It's less work disposing of it another way that dealing with a serious jam. I've had some surprisingly large limbs go right through, but if there's a curve to it or a bulge in just the right spot you can end up with a problem.

Thanks this worked

Unfortunately prying with a tool (in my case a pick axe) did not help

I removed the nuts from the eye bolts so that the spring had no tension

I was finally able to pry a little bit and then jiggle in a bunch of different directions before it popped loose

What a time suck!

I’m giving a lot of these limbs a good trim now and rejecting the ones with the crotches and bulges and all

Agree with whoever said 2500
Rpm on the 1025r - on roller speed 5 it was able to eat maximum size the throat would handle in hardwood ash - didn’t lug the engine

Maybe didn’t throw the chips as far

1 - 8 of 8 Posts