Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Any wc46 owners please chime in about what projects you have tackled with your wc46, how long it took you in hours approximately, how many branches/trees, what setting you use on the infeed roller, how many people were helping you etc

Trying to convince my wife that this unit can get a lot of work done and we don’t need to contract out the chipping because it will take too long if I do it myself with my equipment - had a bunch of trees dropped (15 of them approximately, no leaves on them, 75 foot ash trees)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I with the help of my baby brother and baby sister and my wife, chipped several large piles of brush last summer with few issues. After my siblings left that weekend, it was just my wife and I both in our 70s, I am physically disabled and chose the WC-46 because of the low chute angle. I was chipping mostly fresh cedar and ran the in-feed at full speed, my 1026R hardly noticed it. I could only spend maybe an 1 to an 1 1/2 hours per day on the project. I have started cutting more Cedar branches this spring by myself allowing 1/2 to 3/4 hours every couple of days. I only have a hand operated Pole Saw to cut with, last year little brother brought up a gas operated pole saw. I could not handle it. Hopefully he can drive the 5+ hours this spring and we can get more brush cut. I am trying to trim all the yard trees to 7+ feet so I can get my TekTite Cab under the trees and 14'+ where I drive the Motor Home so the branches no longer scrape the sides and roof. I am looking at a several year project to clean this up. We have 11+ Acres and it has been growing wild since we purchased it in 78. We will be getting the chipper out in a few weeks as it is stored in the barn behind the Motor Home and the ground is still to soft to get it out of the barn. Last year I used the 445 towing a small Ag-Fab yard trailer to collect the chips and then pile them into a large pile and then used the FEL to pile it up higher. Might just blow some of the brush into the edge of the mowed area or around the tree base where I cut the branches from, still haven't made up our minds yet. I love the chipper and have no regrets getting it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well what would of taken me weeks to either burn or run through a small chipper I did in a few days. It’s crazy how efficient a good chipper is, well worth the investment if you have a lot of trees to take down.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How fast does this thing chip with infeed set on 10 maximum speed ?
Well what would of taken me weeks to either burn or run through a small chipper I did in a few days. It’s crazy how efficient a good chipper is, well worth the investment if you have a lot of trees to take down.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We had two large cottonwood trees and a few smaller trees come down in a storm last August. I chipped everything that would go through the WC46 and dumped the rest over a nearby bank where I dump woody debris. All of this was possible because of my 1025R, WC46 and two battery powered chainsaws. I was 71 years old at the time and worked on it two hours a day weather permitting. I've found that the WC46 driven by the 1025R is pretty much limited to 3" diameter although I have gotten bigger through if its perfectly straight with no bumps or bulges. I've also jammed it up real good a couple of times. Overall it's been a real good performer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
My source of leaves dried up, and we had A LOT of downed or mostly downed small trees from the flood of May, 2018. So, I bought the WC46 and sold my 16 year old Mac.

The job is done now, and the bush hog is in place. Just gotta remove and "sharpen" the hog's blades.

Got 20 to 30 FEL-sized piles of chips down there in the overflow area of the creek from the chipped-up small trees. Run it at 5 speed on the hydraulic roller and the 2025R at 2500 rpm (vs. "PTO" speed of 3000). It just loafs along, never ever heard it strain on the biggest log the WC46 would take.

Worse thing (really, the only thing) to plug up the discharge chute is those very tiny vines that are now green and growing on the small trees. Will plug the chute up pronto. Best to chip the big end, reverse and pile the upper with vines on it aside for the bush hog to smash up.

Chipper blades still appear very sharp.

Think you should cut the PTO shaft back another 1 inch more than the WM formula tells you. Think ours will almost be too short to allow it to go onto the end of the PTO next time I need it. Either need to cut it down another 1 inch or to use the wife to guide the 2 pieces together after putting the one end onto the tractor. Will decide this later. Got other stuff to do now.

Need to carry a crow bar in the FEL in addition to a battery chain saw. Crow bar for freeing stuck pieces; think I had 3 of them. Chain saw (and lopers for a little bit smaller stuff) for removing stuff that keeps it feeding.

Often had to turn trees that stopped feeding. This often allowed them to feed without having to trim side pieces.

Adjusted the control bar's action by screwing the 6 mm allen screw underneath the hydraulic lines held in place by a 22 mm lock nut in 1/4 turn. Think I'll turn it another 1/4 turn before next season. Big stuff often caused enough vibration to throw the control bar into neutral.

It's a champ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts